Capacitor quality for crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You mean compromise? No thanks, I conside that selling out.

This was not what I had in mind. I get the feeling that you somehow
feel threatened by people having different perspective.

It can easily happen to you that you do more harm than good to
the opposing side, although you might not be aware of it.

Personally, I would never believe a person or give another thought
to whatever this person may have to say on any subject if this individual
was trying to do it in an unacceptable manner.

Dissipation Factor, not Damping Factor. Think "loss tangent."

I think you're right. Nevertheless I was correct about a percentage DF and a loss angle. :eek:

We have confirmation of Mylar film properties from DuPont here. 1-2% DF and a similar fluctuation in Dielectric Constant. Polypropylene is an order of magnitude better. But still, tiny effects which would be negated by any series resistance in the filter.

Attachments

• Dissipation Factor Mylar Film.PNG
    Dissipation Factor Mylar Film.PNG
    36.2 KB · Views: 214
  • Dielectric Constant Mylar Film.PNG
    Dielectric Constant Mylar Film.PNG
    16.7 KB · Views: 210
Perhaps that's exactly the point resident troll, DavidL has been making (i.e. not receiving objective proof those small differences can be heard)?

So I'm a resident troll for asking valid questions? Nice.
Gosh do you think that maybe people can't hear differences in a real world situation where the cap is in circuit? Golly who would have thought.
But then we have the "everybody knows" statement from earlier. Perhaps everybody doesn't know so much.

Last edited:
A troll really is someone who derails a thread. Especially if you reply. :mad:

Let's approach this as if we know nothing about it. :)

We are struggling to think of a physical mechanism that will make a difference with goodish film capacitors. Resistors are even harder to fathom except for temperature effects increasing resistance.

Cheapie ferrite coils might have all sorts of mechanical resonances IMO. That slug of ferrite with high permeability is a feeling some drive or push from the copper coil. It's how it works really. I looked this up, and AFAIK, the permeability of ferrite is about 50, which translates as the square root for, say, sevenfold increase in inductance.

Action equals reaction according to one of Newton's laws, so the mechanical forces and energy in the coil at -3dB point might be the same as in the drive unit. Quite considerable in other words. I suppose this goes for capacitors too.

I think what we're looking for is mechanical rattles and singing and microphonic effects in any component including cables. Recall that any polarised component can be a microphone.

Here's £12,000 worth of Duelund (The Rolex of components...LOL) crossover splendour, well worth reading:
duelund project

All quite fascinating. The speaker gains "Darkness" or quietness between notes apparently. It's a quality we all have heard occasionally and it's worth pursuing. We could shoot the breeze about how to get the best out of a crossover later. I can think of a few cheap tricks that could help. Perhaps you can too. :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.