Canned Crossover Design - What Next?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mike,

Will Box Port II switch over to rectangle ports? - WinISD didn't like all the manipulation, but this what I came up with.

I'd like to keep the box about a 1" less deep than the TB, i.e 9".

(the extra white line is exaggerated)

Attachments

• Temp W7.jpg
    Temp W7.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 263
A few revelations:

Both woofers TB W5 - SF W7 are about the same size (OD), so the TB box is a good example (e.g. don't want to get close to edge at front)

Using same footprint as the TB box, cut about the 1" off the back, that will make the ID height 11" (for a 13 liter box).

(the TB W5 box is 14-1/2" ID)

Going to use scrap wood and build one test box, make sure there is minimal port noise.

[W5- W7 - W BOX - How'd that happen?]

Attachments

• TEMMP.jpg
    TEMMP.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
If you really want to get your teeth into something, you could try akabak ;) Tony.

Hi Tony
Thanks for the recommendation. I heard that akabak is very powerful. Trouble is I don't have the time for steep learning curve. Too much work already.:(

Hi ODougbo
I simulated the W17RC with Bass Box. The 2" diameter port length is almost the same, which means both are accurate.

For a rectangle port:
Height = 0.5"
Width = 6"
Length = 6.9"

A 1 inch height is not practical. Length is more than 12".

Attachments

• BASSBOX_13L_RECTANGLE.jpg
    BASSBOX_13L_RECTANGLE.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 239
  • BASSBOX_13L_PORT.jpg
    BASSBOX_13L_PORT.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 231
  • BASSBOX_13L_PLOT.jpg
    BASSBOX_13L_PLOT.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 228
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Mike, I've had enough of a play with akabak to know that I'd like to become proficient in using it, but like you I really haven't had the time to do so. There is actually a good dummy's guide here on diyAudio which is enough to get going with simple projects.

Perhaps when I start to think about new cabinets for my Vifa M26WR-09-08's I may get a bit more into it. I'd like to model a double chamber reflex.

Tony.

Yes, didn't take long to get to 49-50hz (rounded vent strips)

I though the way it went together was good/fast. I cut a dado around the top and bottom plates and then nailed the back/sides on - then clamped vertically while the glue dried.

The goal is to make the dado just deep enough for the side panel and vent strip (mdf) thickness.

Attachments

• Dado cut.jpg
    Dado cut.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Perhaps when I start to think about new cabinets for my Vifa M26WR-09-08's I may get a bit more into it. I'd like to model a double chamber reflex. Tony.

Hi Tony

Double Chamber Reflex are not very popular but they have their attributes. The main advantage of a DCR is in the Mid-Bass. It is actually a combination of a BandPass and a Bass Reflex.

I manually calculate the DCR with the help of Claudio Negro website. When I did a FR sweep with LMS, it's quite accurate.

I standardize all my inductors with 18 AWG air core types.

50 ohms is fine. I usually use 10W for testing. Once final, I switch to 20W.

If the 0.95mH is unavailable, you can use 1.0mH.

This network is a Bass Shelving Filter, not really a BSC. I like to hear mid-bass in my music. If the lower bass (like 40Hz) is a bit lacking, I can always add a Sub later.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.