Votes: 5 33.3%
  • I prefer Apricot by listening

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • I prefer Avocado by listening

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Multiple instruments playing the same notes gives body, depth, warmth (whatever you want to call it) to sound, largely due to the very small discrepancies in their tuning, I wonder whether a little 2nd harmonic has a similar effect to our perception due to the non-harmonic scale? It's just a thought, also since our pitch perception is also based to a degree on the harmonic overtones of the played notes.

Whats do you call 2 oboes playing in unison? A chord.

Dan, I will check it. The 24-bit loop should tell if there is an issue.

I am sure that you know it, but for the others, when playing sound under Win7 and higher and you want to utilize 24-bit resolution, please do not forget to set 24-bit resolution for the soundcard used in the Control Panel, otherwise 16-bit is default and hirez files are converted to 16-bit resolution.

After I read Maty's comment on Direct sound, it is necessary to make this setting!
The files that I downloaded are 16/44......?.

Dan.

cbdb said:
Who said exact.
You did, when you used the word 'harmonic'.
cbdb said:
Most overtones are harmonic. A string or pipe, covers most instruments, vibrates at fractions of the length
Most overtones are not harmonic, but near to harmonics. 'Near' creates problems, which would not be present if they were exact harmonics.

Most overtones are not harmonic, but near to harmonics. 'Near' creates problems, which would not be present if they were exact harmonics.

Gentlemen, if you do not mind, I have just recorded a fipple flute (played myself :D) tones and made some analysis. Maybe not "exact", but really very close. The H3 travels between 1062 and 1067 Hz.

Attachments

• flute_spectrum.png
    flute_spectrum.png
    55.9 KB · Views: 115
Intermodulation and beat notes. Nonlinearity fed exact harmonics just generate fundamental, other harmonics and DC. Nonlinearity fed not-quite harmonics generates not quite fundamental, not quite other harmonics and LF/subsonic stuff. It is conceivable that this will make the sound 'richer', but it could also descend into mush. I seem to recall one good test for hi-fi was said to be to listen to choral music, as that has lots of nearly but not quite identical notes.

yeah i guess "close"(but not exact) only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades!

sorry i don't quite follow the "Nonlinearity fed exact harmonics" thing? if you had said "Linearity fed exact..." and then " Nonlinearity fed not-quite harmonics generates not quite fundamental, not quite other harmonics and LF/subsonic stuff." it would make perfect sense to me

"Exact tones" and harmonics of them may be true only for a synthesized or computer generated music, and that's why it sounds horrible :). Natural instruments will always have some slight fluctuation of tone frequency and this sounds more natural to our ears, because it is natural. I would bet that instantaneous overtones are exact multiples of the instantaneous tone frequency. Applies to intermodulations as well, they are also instantaneous. We do not use crystal clocked sine generators in music, usually, speaking about acoustic instruments.

You did, when you used the word 'harmonic'.

Semantics. Everything Ive read about musical instruments call overtones harmonics even if not exact multiple of the fundamental. Sorry for using the term musicaly while talking about music.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.