Can over loud cd's overload dacs ? (Jocko?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
This is a 32bit recording of the third song. ‘Blue with Sheryl Crow’.
How could you possibly expect this is going to sound right? It’s clipping all over and compressed to the absolute limit.
I can’t believe that a copy will fix that problem.

/Hugo

Attachments

• zucchero.gif
    zucchero.gif
    45.9 KB · Views: 408
I'll reinstall later and see if it restores defaults...

Nevertheless I was quite interested by your findings and downloaded Sigview to look at that track...

VERY WEIRD is all I can say. If you divide the song in 5 parts it seems only the first 3 has the high levels.... (off the chart high)

Strangley enough on my computer it plays just fine...
There seems no correlation between the graph I got and the music, I first thought maybe it has a hard time measuring because of the brutal bass and drum and piano sound, but the sounds are still there in the "low level" parts.

Wombat, I only saw your post now...
I will confirm that I can't see a diff between the original track and the copied one, yet they clearly sound diffirent.

Ok I managed to get a couple of test discs with varying degrees of 1001hz test tones and as I thought all set at the same volume:
-60db clean
-40db clean
-20db clean
-15db clean
-10db clean
0db has a slight edgy ring to the tone.

This was the Pierre Varny test dics, and it states if you can hear a change at the 0db level your da convertor chip is overloading, so can anyone give some solution to lowering the overhaul level so I don't overload my dac?, it's the Burr Brown PCM1738E.

Cheers George

Attachments

• scan5.gif
    scan5.gif
    87.4 KB · Views: 378
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.