Cambridge audio a1 mk1 not powering on.

To be specific - First remove FS01 & FS02.
One end of each fuse goes to each transformer secondary wire AC1 & AC2.
use croc clips to connect meter (high AC Voltage range) to FS01 & FS02 fuse holder - the terminals that are connected to the aforementioned AC1 & AC2.
Stand back, with unit switched on, plug in to mains.
Observe reading on meter. Expect around 30 to 50V AC for a working transformer. Zero for a dead transformer.
Report back.

Hey, don't mock. I did not say 'Duck and Cover!'

OP is a beginner & safest practice is to use clips.
A probe can easily slip & cause more damage.

Best practice should become second nature by repetition.
Next time someone plugs in a piece of old equipment a cap might explode, something goes 'bang', you jump & touch a live connection......

I've seen too much to tolerate mocking safety.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Attention! High voltage! Not for newbies - only qualified personnel.

We are talking about an Cambridge Audio A1 amp not a freaking nuclear bomb
Stand back ????

:)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-09-06 200409.jpg
    Annotation 2020-09-06 200409.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 325
September 7. INTERFAX.RU - In the Dordogne department, an elderly man set an explosion in his own house, trying to kill a fly with an electric fly swatter, writes Sud-Ouest.:(
It happened last Friday at about 19:45 in the city of Parkul-Chenot. The man was going to have dinner, annoying fly annoyed him.

It was established that there was a gas leak in the house, and the discharge of the electric swatter caused an explosion.

Last edited:
It was established that there was a gas leak in the house, and the discharge of the electric swatter caused an explosion.

It's strange, for this to happen, his house 'atmosphere' must have been partly propane/butane mixture with air and the smell for hydrogen sulfide would be impossible to tolerate it literally makes you vomit at higher concentrations.

But let's back to A1. Where is OP with his multimeter :confused:

To the guy which was asking about if it was the switch it is not. I measured across the switch in ohms mode and got a reading.

I removed the FS01 & FS02 fuses and measuring across them on a high ac voltage and theres absolutely nothing.

I changed the mains plug fuse too just incase it was that but nope. And lastly someone was saying there should be low humming if i get my ear close to transformer but i hear nothing.