Burning Amplifier BA-2

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
In fact I just ordered a couple channels of F-5 components from Jack a few weeks ago. He is a great resource, and has never let me down.. .

Mark

The gent who does operate the site to which I linked is a member, jackinnj I think? I've dealt with him several times and he was great, even sorting out a few oddball requests I had.

more mosfets

I originally built with 3 pairs of MOSFETs, about 450 mA bias. I added two more pairs and was delighted with the result, finding much better bass (to my taste obviously). I hadn't changed the bias so I had more class-A current available, higher device temperatures as well as more devices.

I did some configuration testing and judged them listening to the album 'xx', it's pop but contains some really deep bass passages and a lot of minimally accompanied singing.

3 pairs, 450 mA per pair: good, for me not quite as good as my KT88 push-pull
3 pairs, 700 mA per pair: better, more detailed I thought
5 pairs, 410 mA per pair: my favourite, really impressive bass, I think this is better than my KT88s, and a lot safer to build :)

So, in summary, I think the amount of current and how hot the devices are is important, but just having more devices will have a impact also. If you've gone to the trouble of building one of these babies, you might want to go the extra yard and check if more devices improves it for you too.

Also, the heatsinks are throwing off heat now
(dQ/dt)>>0!

Attachments

• fivepair2.JPG
    fivepair2.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 436
Was that a Typo, Zen?

Anyone happen to have a figure for the current draw of the BA-2 front end?

If one was to use a voltage regulator, let's say for the sake of argument a 78XX type three pin arrangement. Would one need two such devices, one for each of the +25V, -25V rails?

Best wishes,
Chris

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Was that a Typo, Zen?

If one was to use a voltage regulator, let's say for the sake of argument a 78XX type three pin arrangement. Would one need two such devices, one for each of the +25V, -25V rails?

Best wishes,
Chris

wasn't a typo ; answering your question - so see posts #764 & #765

if going to 3-legged regs , use at least LM317 ( even for low side - it's better than 337 counterpart)

Looking at the original article, resistors R210 and R211 should have 1.2 V drops across them, they're 47.5 ohms, so 25 mA per rail per side.

Are you thinking of using the same transformer for the front-end and the output stage? If you use a new, separate transformer for the front-end you can choose higher voltage secondaries. Then, you have freedom to choose regulators where you must sacrifice a lot of voltage in return for the regulation.

Looking at the original article, resistors R210 and R211 should have 1.2 V drops across them, they're 47.5 ohms, so 25 mA per rail per side.

OK! 25mA it is. If one was to take the output from the current power supply for the front end then we would have to shave off a few volts for the regulator. What is the lowest voltage that the front end will work at?

Another question: If one used two LM317 per channel for the front end and due to variations in component values each voltage regulator gave a slightly different votage output would this make any difference?

I have used the LM337 in the past with diodes instead of resistors to adjust the voltage output. I preferred the diodes but it does seem the LM317 is the one most discerning listeners turn to.
Best wishes,
Chris

Thanks Highfield.
I'm not sure about the wiring of the split rail supply. Would I need for the sake of argument an LM317 for the +rail and an LM137 for the negative? Would I connect both grounds of the two chip circuits to the common ground of the split rail power supply rectifier/caps circuit?
Best wishes,
Chris