Burning Amp 2023!

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Instead of relying on a handheld mic, it may be a good idea to fit the speaker with a lavalier mic instead. They can be had at Bezos' Bookstore for very little money. Just be careful that you don't end up pulling a Frank Drebin while wearing it...

Having a remote to change the slides in the presentation deck would be handy too.

Tom

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Glad to hear that ZenMod will be attending next year and captaining the In-Room and Zoom audio for the presentations!

That was an area that was beyond my expertise and I ran out of bandwidth to test, rent wireless lavaliers, etc.

As I said during my computer career, the scariest sentence is "It should work, I don't know any reason why it shouldn't."

The in-house sound system should have worked......

-Tom-

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
BAF'23 ZENDUCTOR T-SHIRT

Hey a big shout-out to all of you who bought your t-shirt online through CustomInk! 66 of you bought shirts and there were many additional donations. Thanks! A special thank you to James Dumensil and Jared Rosoff who made very generous contributions. In all we raised $1087 to support future Burning Amps.

CustomInk says you should get your shirts by October 25th, if not before.

For those who got your t-shirts at Burning Amp, I bought 61, gave away 18 to volunteers and presenters, and sold 43 netting another $100 for BAF.

-Tom-

Attachments

• 1696793141946.png
    1696793141946.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: 3 users
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Feel free to remind often and loudly. It’s a place that needs improvement.

Once we realized ( at least I, it took me some time to collect enough details) that besides obvious handheld mic (with room PA), real source actually sending audio to Zoom was mic on video cam ( first I was thinking mess made with enabled mic on laptop), it was easy - somewhere during start of Wayne's presentation handheld was turned off and we had clean source for Zoom audio - no room PA reverbation, just direct source

anyway - for that number of attendees, even single 12" PA active box is enough, what's important is shown on funny sketch above

setup actually doesn't need to be expensive at all, just good enough for task on hand

peak of luxury could be 2nd wireless mic, to serve ppl asking questions at end of each presentation; ZOOM-ers are actually deducing questions from answers

easy when Wayne is answering, impossible when Pa is answering

but hey, story of my life - I'm actually understanding maybe 10% of his direct answers to my direct questions, even in face to face situation

hope it's just me, fave Pet for mental torture, not actually case with many ppl more

:rofl:

edit: just as clearout for our friends not exactly inclined to tech. sound expertise - single crucial detail for task at hand is that both Room PA and Audio sent to Zoom are single source, which is simply achieved if one/same signal is sent from small mix/external soundcard to both PA and Laptop

Last edited:
Would like to know who brought and/or built this dml speaker, and how did it sound?
Hey, that was me. This was my first DML build, I was checking out the tech. I had a computer to do EQ for the setup, they were nice from about 200 - 4000 Hz (in room, RTA), and were using EQ to boost the ends to get 100 ~ 12k, the sub supporting below that.

Scott measured them, and that looked unflattering. I think the fact that I was holding them (at an angle, pointed at the mic on the floor for ground plane) makes the measurement questionable. I could feel them buck in my hand, so I figure my inability to hold them rigidly likely impacted the result.

Philosophically one might expect them to sound imprecise, and I think I could hear it a bit (not doing a/b comparisons, just playing music I know). But they were a real cheap / easy build. I could put up a thread about about 'em if there's interest.

Also, thanks to everyone for the fun time! I enjoyed the venue, the food, the acoustics, the people. Now I'm pondering what to build up for next year... =)

Reactions: 2 users
Was AdamThorne also the one who built these amps?

I believe the amps were at BAF last year and I meant to ask about the construction details for the power supply risers and shields. I'm curious if they were fabricated and painted / powder coated / anodized by a local Bay Area shop, or if they're entirely DIY.

It was not I. Wolverine amp and another that he called 'the Beast'. The guy talked about the design of the case and the amp. He might have been one of the designers?

The Wolverine amp is a quad configuration that I took to Burning Amp last year along with Beast I, but I didn't bring a full system to play it. This year I made it a point to bring a full system to play, but I also brought a new amp that Jeremy Steensma (JJS) and I call "Beast II". Both of the Beasts are 8 pair amps, but Beast II is the latest design that I only finished a few days before BA. The chassis for the Beast is something I designed just because... I wanted something special and different and decided to go for it. My intention was to make a few boxes for the amps Jeremy and I were building, but decided to try to ultimately set it up so others would have access to them. I went to my friend, Pete Goglia, of Responsible Metal Fabrication in Sunnyvale and asked him to make the sheet metal parts. I had patterns made for the cast components, which were cast and machined in New Zealand. The chassis box that was presented at BA was the very first one made. I also made the speakers over the long winter... Nothing better to do than make a lot of sawdust while it rained!

Reactions: 6 users
Aaaargh!

Now look what going to BAF and listening to Nelson made me buy!
Is that the kit from the seller on eBay going for $550? I'm curious as I bought a pair at the BAF auction at a decent price, however, one pair is not enough for the Sony VFET boards sold on the diyaudio store. I'm curious if I should just go with a SIT Sissy design from Zen Mod, or if I should try to buy another pair to get the necessary quantity for the boards available at the store.

Thanks for any input you all have!

Best,
Dan