Burning Amp 2023!

Joined 2010
Paid Member
No offense taken... none... it takes a lot more to offend my "sensibilities".... although that amp with the four vacuum tubes and all those mosfets on the heat sinks almost offended by "sensibilities"... besides, to me, The OC is "Paradise".

The drive was actually very smooth, only slow traffic in that short stretch where the 580 and 80 coexist... north of Berkeley, is that it? Once on the 5 it was all 85 mph, even through the Grapevine, SF Valley, LA... 101->580->5->605->405->Paradise....

naw....

Cyclotron... that's what it was.... maybe like run 300Bs as front end?

Take care.... it was fun talking to you... you're the beer guy, right? Not the guy "working with his back"... Yeah... I know, that was indeed a bad joke on my part.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
When Albert Einstein was making the rounds of the speaker's circuit, he usually found himself eagerly longing to get back to his laboratory work. One night as they were driving to yet another rubber-chicken dinner, Einstein mentioned to his chauffeur (a man who somewhat resembled Einstein in looks & manner) that he was tired of speechmaking.

"I have an idea, boss," his chauffeur said. "I've heard you give this speech so many times. I'll bet I could give it for you."

Einstein laughed loudly and said, "Why not? Let's do it!"

When they arrived at the dinner, Einstein donned the chauffeur's cap and jacket and sat in the back of the room. The chauffeur gave a beautiful rendition of Einstein's speech and even answered a few questions expertly.

Then a supremely pompous professor asked an extremely esoteric question about anti-matter formation, digressing here and there to let everyone in the audience know that he was nobody's fool. Without missing a beat, the chauffeur fixed the professor with a steely stare and said, "Sir, the answer to that question is so simple that I will let my chauffeur, who is sitting in the back, answer it for me."
I used that story but about Max Planck from the time he got his Nobel.
Great story!

Jan

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Take care.... it was fun talking to you... you're the beer guy, right? Not the guy "working with his back"... Yeah... I know, that was indeed a bad joke on my part.
haha, I did not realize you were that Tony! I had a great time talking to you. I am the the guy who makes money on his back. I worked the corner on Saturday night and made a few bucks.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Tsk...Tsk.... Mordikai's side job is selling big heavy speakers off a white van.... organic heavy speakers, that is. That's a heavy lift.

Those thoughts... really...

Unfortunately, I will never be able to live that one introduction down. Ooops... ;-)

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Oh, this was a FANTASTIC Burning Amp! Meeting all the folks and getting to hang out with all of you has quenched my soul! I think I will be happy for a while. We have a special thing here. Let's keep it going.

I got home last night after an hour's drive. Hoping everyone else made it home safe. And if you are still in Petaluma, hope you have a safe journey home.

Thanks to Tom, Penny, Jim, Nelson, Mike, and the rest of the crew for making this event possible. Thanks to @nikon f for keeping our room organized--very important. Special shoutout to the :cool: gang: @Ben Mah @pinholer @Monk55 @mordikai @poseidonsvoice @tomchr @Dennis Hui @Jerdy @Skip Pack , George, Francis, Owen, Adrian, Graham, Paul, Terry, Greg, Dennis V (and some others whom I've probably left out).

• Thank You
Reactions: 15 users
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It was a fantastic BAF.
The DEF amp was the one that almost got me in trouble
Hah! That's the power of the DEF amp for you. :)

The parts matching/selection required make it a pretty difficult amp to construct.

I didn't catch who bough it, but congratulations to the member for getthing a very special amplifier...and for contributing to funding for BAF.

Reactions: 3 users
What a fantastic venue! So easy to move from room to room, very comfortable, lots of space, very user-friendly, very good acoustics

Sunday in the large room, The acoustics were wanting to be better.

With the microphone and PA the room was full of echoes and unintelligible. Without the microphone and PA presenter voices were way to low (SPL) to be heard.

Thanks DT

Thank you. There'll be a video on my YouTube (and Vimeo) channel about how to put it together soon. Including how to drill the holes and such. I'm sure I'll make many a machinist squirm, but the job is done and the result is pretty pro looking.

Tom

Hello Tom,

Real nice looking in person. Looking for your YouTube.

I might want to add a 4-pin XLR output.

Thanks DT

Yeah, house sound can wreak havoc on folks who are not "in the house." And I don't imagine that the house sound system had a pre out so there was likely no way to send any signal to the laptop. Messy. Possibly next time the first stop for the microphone signal should be the laptop, then run a cable from the output to the house sound. Not sure. Would love to have been there and try to make it right. At any rate, the final solution to simply stand near the laptop was brilliant. Maybe diymicrophones has a solution for us! ;)

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Agreed, this was the bad sound Burning Amp, at least in the big hall on Sunday. Lots of reverb, the house sound system was a disaster (in wall speakers optimally placed to maximize echo, house mics kept cutting out). Then for a 3 minute period in the middle of Andrew Jones talk we overloaded the house internet while uploading Nelson's slide deck. In live productions only the paranoid survive. The scariest sentence in the English language is "It should work, I don't know any reason why it shouldn't!" The smaller Meeting Room would have been much better :(

On the other hand, the acoustics in the three listening rooms was much better than Fort Mason. That was the good surprise.

-Tom-

Reactions: 5 users