Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A

There was also a good system which was breaking the gnd before the pc and the DAC ! It was called SqueezeBOX using Wifi !

I'm a little lost with all those true bits and also the less true others bits !

TDA1541A was a 14 bits tweaked
PCM 1704 a true 23 bitq, but false 24 bits !
AD1862, not a true 20 bits without exact trimming wit external pot (is it stable ?!)

Ah ! What is worrying me is I listen to more détails from a good TDA 1541 dac than a bad discrete R2R or even a ESS9023 24 bits dac ! Pfffff

Are bits so important but for dynamic headroom ? Is it still important with all the crappy reccordings ?

Are bits so important but for dynamic headroom ? Is it still important with all the crappy reccordings ?

A good video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzX_MBoz5wc

I believe IF we can get rid of the noises, 16bit (14bit) is enough for satisfactory listening in home environment...
But there are noises that can't be dealt with with conventional aproaches... :shutup:

Hi all!
I have read alot in this thread, not all do...
I started built my own pcb for a TDA1541, worked after some minor fixes.
Anyway, since there where errors on the pcb i took some advice here in this thread and redraw the pcb.
I used film smd 1uf with 100 pf in parallell on the decoupling caps. I used Nicicon UKA 33uf with 100pf in parallell on the PSU lines next to the TDA1541. And bias the DEM to -15V (6,8K resistor) and a 2,2nf cap solder to pin 16 and 17.

With this setup i get a alot of hum, so much it can't be used. With a scope the 1kHz testsinus looks fine, but with my amp it hum.
I solder in my old pcb with filmcaps and it works fine with my outputstage, so nothing wrong there.

Any idé why it can hum?

Best regards //Daniel

Hi all!
I have read alot in this thread, not all do...
I started built my own pcb for a TDA1541, worked after some minor fixes.
Anyway, since there where errors on the pcb i took some advice here in this thread and redraw the pcb.
I used film smd 1uf with 100 pf in parallell on the decoupling caps. I used Nicicon UKA 33uf with 100pf in parallell on the PSU lines next to the TDA1541. And bias the DEM to -15V (6,8K resistor) and a 2,2nf cap solder to pin 16 and 17.

With this setup i get a alot of hum, so much it can't be used. With a scope the 1kHz testsinus looks fine, but with my amp it hum.
I solder in my old pcb with filmcaps and it works fine with my outputstage, so nothing wrong there.

Any idé why it can hum?

Best regards //Daniel

Hum usually means ground loop.
Check your grounding scheme.

Good luck.
M.

hi, there was a small usb mosaic dac batch made that were sold out. the usb mosaic is discontinued and the mosaic T is now in production. John told me he's doing the best he can to be able to ship them before Christmas...

Thanks for the update, youknowyou. Good to hear that production is happening. I did write to John but have presumably heard nothing back as he is busy making DACs. Hope to hear from him soon.

If anyone has a priceless from Mosaic, could you PM me please?

True Tico but to be honest to my ears I do wonder whats all the 24/196k thing
is all about. Have listen to a fair share of dacs over the years believe it or not
my favourite still hangs around the TDA 1541 & the Ultra Analog D20400A dacs.
They just do sound correct & Im sure that the Mosiac will sound fantastic given
Johns experiments & experience with the TDA dac.

Hi QSerra Tico_Tico,

The triangular-shaped EC designs DAC tested by this guy is NOT a Mosaic DAC!
It is a TDA1541A-based SD-player.

The Mosaic DAC has no DAC chip(s) inside, it is based on a discrete common-rail matrix DAC.

Hi,
Thanks for the info. I got confused on the various models you make.
Wanted to ask what DAC you are currently using but now I understand it is a discrete R2R DAC?
Maybe you can post a picture of the inwards?