Building a Pearl 2

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The PSU looks correct.

If it tested OK without the pearl PCBs attached, then it's likely not the issue.

That only one of the filter resistors is hot makes me think it's a short on the V+ side or something similar.

Did you measure the on-pearl regulators on both boards both sides?

Yes, I tested the regulators before stuffing the rest of the boards. I listed my results on POST #1847. I can attempt to test them again by lifting the resistor leds for R4, R3, R33, and R31.

On the regulators, both should for sure be isolated from the heatsinks, correct? I reviewed the data sheet for the 7824 & it says "heatsink surface connected to Pin 2" which is ground. Should the rubber pad I used between the heatsink and regulator be removed?

I am using part #863-MC7824CTG on Mouser.

First thing I just tried this morning was removing the 7824 on one board from the heatsink and "voila!" No DBT light coming on and no hot resistor. The regulator resistors (3,4, 33, and 31) are reading +-24V.

Now I just need to figure out if the heatsink is shorting out or if the 7824's need to be connected directly to the heatsink without an insulator. The data sheet for my device (#863-MC7824CTG) says the ground pin 2 needs to be connected to the heatsink.

Does this look correct on the datasheet? Picture attached.

Attachments

• Pearl 7824 Regulator.jpg
    Pearl 7824 Regulator.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 239
  • 7824.PNG
    7824.PNG
    11.5 KB · Views: 245
Yep... I just attached the 7824 directly to the heatsink without insulator and it powered up perfectly and I was able to set DC to 0mv on the one board hooked up.

I will hook up the second board, test the regulator without insulator, then wire the rca wires and reset DC offset with inputs shorted.

Should I still put thermal paste between the 7824 and heatsink or just leave it as is?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
if heatsink is (in any way, deliberately or not) in electrical contact with circuit, then you must isolate regulator electrically from heatsink

simple as that

The data sheet for my device (#863-MC7824CTG) says the ground pin 2 needs to be connected to the heatsink.

datasheet is saying nothing else than that pin2 and back tab are electrically in connection, not that they need to be connected