Building a large curved ESL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I haven't tried them but I did look into them and IMHO they cost more than what they are worth.

I think I had a few cans of it from a local supply when made my very First panels.
I don't remember what the part no. was.
But, it didn't perform anywhere near the stated specs on the can as I was reaching for 10Kv (2300V).

I still have those very same stator's and they start arcing at anything over about 3.5Kv even with the extra heavy coats and enamel on them.

This thread may help to give you some insight,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...ectric-coatings-fact-fiction.html#post2779101

There are some coatings that claim to give you as much as 5Kv or more per mil.
But as the material gets thicker this rating goes down as well.
I would love to get some of that stuff to test!!

jer :)

Hi Jer,
I think you are correct in your observation.
I was doing some search and comparisons and this is what i found :
Scotch 3M 1601 spray can-- 850 volts/mil
SprayOn EL 600 spray can-- 2300 VPM
Using an online converter , the 3M is 33464 kVPM !!! if this is correct we can forget about the sprayon.

The Krylon's version "Conformal Coating was rated at 2100V ( I think) and it is just a relabeled version of their clear acrylic enamel.

I called them about this and they wouldn't verify it but they did say it appears to be the same.

I have measured as much as 1900V per mil in my tests that I have done with clear acrylics of several other brands including Rustoleum.

They all seem test about the same with a factor guaranteed of at least 1500v per mil. that does not seem to puncture through.
I have not tested any polyurethane's yet.

But the rates I have found for those are typically in the 450V to 800v range.

I know that some of the Car type paints are only rated at about 900v and some only 450v.

But the cheapest one my local supplier had was Sherwin Williams and it had the highest rating at about 1200v to 1500v or so per mil.
Not bad for about $60 per gallon with the reducer!!

Last edited:
My apologies to Wreckingball, i got carried away , the last few posts should have been in another thread, no intention of hijacking this , hope to stay on track.
No worries at all, hell, I'm still waiting on transformers. .haha

Hi Wrecking ball,
In your first post you were planning for 18" wide stators. You got them cut to 15", any particular reason you downsized ? :confused:

I blame Calvin, no wait, it was that scoundrel jer... yea! that's it! :rofl::rofl:

I'm just kidding of course, if you take a look at the first few responses you will gain a few clues, then later on in the thread, you will see Calvin make some posts that are absolutely packed with a wealth of information and I can't thank these guys enough!

The proposed 15 inch width should reproduce 200 Hz just fine with the help of the active crossover/parametric EQ.

Hope this helps...

Cheers
-wreck

Wow, it's been since the holidays for a progress report? lol..

Well, with the extremely cold Winter, and me being a guy who works out in the elements, I guess I'll excuse myself..:p

With the help of Jer, I was finally able to get my electronics package together, and I'm happy to say that it is a marked improvement over the old step-up/bias unit I had been using. Much louder and more robust, 5.1kv! (with a tap at 3.13, waste of time) Running it with my old flat panels... the XPA-5 is running the show with absolutely no problems, (the thing sounds great, and isn't even breaking a sweat..):yes:

The other thing I've been working on is adhering the metal banding to the upper and lower ends of the perf-metal, and while doing so I ran into a bigger miscalculation than I had anticipated. :(

I sized up these metal bands and thought that using 45 mil tape on them, and using 63 mil for the sides of the panel would work, but between the powder coating and the adhesive (I used urethane) it was much thicker than I thought. I ended up having to order yet more VHB tape (this time 25 mils).
Thankfully that is going to work.

Just a note: If you have the money, save yourself the trouble and order your perf with the 3/4" margin intact (no perf).

Some pics, and sorry for the blurred ones. Note: Between the taping and the clamp method, the clamps work much better..

All the best
-Wreck

Attachments

• esl_case-91234344.jpg
    esl_case-91234344.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 280
  • in_wall_rack-615573.jpg
    in_wall_rack-615573.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 274
  • 20140212_0656051-32037595.jpg
    20140212_0656051-32037595.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 275
  • 20140216_2041421-95757351.jpg
    20140216_2041421-95757351.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 278
  • 20140216_1446461-56743298.jpg
    20140216_1446461-56743298.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
That is Great !!!!!
At least you have something to listen to for the time being!!!!

Thanks Jer! And you aren't kidding, between the time my old trafo died and now, I was listening to some pathetic JVC pre-packaged cardboard speakers I got for free (no wonder..lol)..Truly horrifying...:eek: :D

Keep on DYIng !!!!
:cheers:

You too mah brutha...you too... You know, one of these days, a listening party needs to happen here in MI...Seriously!
And thanks AGAIN for all the help!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.