Build This MoFo!

I use a 300VA trafo with LCLC filtering for each channel. It works very well. But has not compared with a SMPS brick. I run 3A bias. The ripple of the supply is in the mV area.

Attachments

• DSC_3675.jpg
    DSC_3675.jpg
    477.5 KB · Views: 834
Yes, it generates some heat at 3A bias. My PSU delivers 25-26 VDC which is approx. 80W of heat. The relative large heatsink I use gets around 54 C. I could probably go to 3.5 A if I want. Then voltage will probably drop to about 24 VDC because of voltage drop over the filter chokes. In the moment I am very happy with how it sounds. I don't need more power. The big choke stays 100% cool. It can handle more than 20A.

Attachments

• DSC_3674.jpg
    DSC_3674.jpg
    572.8 KB · Views: 746
Preamp with autotransformer for Mofo

I tried to use Pete Millets NU-Hybrid headphone amp (Korg triode with buffer)
combined with an Edcor PC600-15k in autoformer mode for driving the Mofo.

The voltage gain of the autoformer is 4.75 times but distortion rises a lot (more than 10db and mainly 3rd harmonic)

My question: Is the Edcor PC 600-15k suitable for this application as it is for instance in the M2?

The Edcor is wired as per attached picture.

Many thanks in advance for your replies

Attachments

• Edcor 600-15k.jpg
    Edcor 600-15k.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 751

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
What are you driving the Edcor PC 600-15k with? And what frequency are you testing with?

The 600r side will be lower than 600 Ohm impedance at the bottom of the audio band. The distortion will be minimized with a VERY low source impedance. Possibly well under 60 Ohms is wanted, while many hi-fi sources are higher.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, it generates some heat at 3A bias. My PSU delivers 25-26 VDC which is approx. 80W of heat. The relative large heatsink I use gets around 54 C. I could probably go to 3.5 A if I want. Then voltage will probably drop to about 24 VDC because of voltage drop over the filter chokes. In the moment I am very happy with how it sounds. I don't need more power. The big choke stays 100% cool. It can handle more than 20A.

You can run an IRFP240 at 80w?

My MoFo runs each IRFP240 at about 60w. This is the highest I've ever run one of these. My giant Aleph-X amps run the mosfets at about 36w each. The MoFo mosfets are mounted directly to the sink (using only thermal grease) and the sink exhibits thermal rise of ~28-30c. Don't know about long term longevity, though, as the amp is still pretty new. Due to the simplicity of the build, I'm really not concerned about a burned mosfet - unless a dead one dumps rail voltage into my speaker as a result.

The input impedance of the Mofo is about 50k Ohm.
If the Edcor is driven by a source of less than 50 Ohm then the distortion should not rise to the extent i experienced?

I continue to think that the Edcor is suitable for the purpose.

I will look for possible errors i could have made

Found
Culprit was a burnt protection diode of the Mofo channel connected.
Now the Edcor is performing as expected.
Never have come across a component that delivers that much for so little money