Build This MoFo!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
feel free to bother me (either here or at >zenmodiyaudio@gmail.com<) , I'll ignore , anyway

Attachments

• crazy.gif
    crazy.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 754
I built a couple of these MoFos. Just stock 19V 193T biased at 1.7A -
And they sound great! (Being a newbie, I'm always amazed when something I've built actually works).
I'm currently driving a pair of Fostex FE167E full rangers. Whose sensitivity is 94dB.

So I'm concerned about the turn on/off thump.
I would also like to be able to drive 4 ohm speakers.

So... way back in post #325 Ralph G said
"For 4 ohms, you will need approx 1.4 times the current for the same power. But also 1.4 times less voltage. If I would optimize this amp for 4 ohm, I would lower the voltage and increase the current.

So I wouldn't go pass the 19V (maybe even a bit lower: more like 17V) but increase the current to at least 3 ampere. This way the heat is still manageable (for a big sink)."

And post #327 xrk971 said
"Nice thing with 24v SMPS, is ability to add a simple IRFP240 cap Mx to allow soft start (no thumps on or off), reduce AC line ripple by -45dB, and have a flat as a board noise floor. Voltage droput gives about 19v of super clean power. Don't underestimate the importance of needing a turn-on delay relay for sensitive compression drivers or 94dB sensitive speakers. With a cap Mx, the turn on is a gradual 10 second long ramp."

My questions are:
Is it ok or is there a way with my stock MoFos to run 4 ohm speakers?
I'm not sure if the choke is the limiting factor. Since the 193T max current is 2A, wouldn't I need to set the bias down below 1.7A, like 1.4A to keep the current under 2A?

Or, if I use a 24v SMPS and use the "simple IRFP240 cap Mx" xrk971 mentioned, and replace the 193T with a 193V, leave the bias alone at 1.7A, would that work? (The cap Mx drops the voltage to 19V)

Thanks!
-Mike