• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - flexibility without compromise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Would it be possible or harmful to remove the IC with the onboard firmware (multiple times) and fiddle a bit around with the external controller and put it back again when things turn out not to be working as intended?

The way that the HiFiDUINO works is that you remove the TPA BIII firmware chip, so that control is now handled by the Arduino. You can always disconnect the HiFiDUINO and re-add the original TPA chip. I even tried using both at the same time (by accident, in the initial stages) and all that happened was buggy control. You won't damage anything, to my knowledge.

1) are you willing to do some hand-holding?
2) if so a separate thread might be good. You could start one or add to mine on the topic here...
B-III: Remote control / lots of inputs / 8-ch volume??? - Buffalo DAC - Twisted Pear Audio Support
3) how hard is it to add additional sources to biii/exa? Does it require programming if manual switching/volume?
4) I'm happy to pay for your assistance and also to write up the process as a guide for others, if either helps motivate you to help :rolleyes:

1. I can definitely provide assistance where it's needed.
2. I can add to your thread if you wish.
3. The way I am doing it is using the exaU2I USB to I2S converter, which takes up 5 out of 8 of the BIII input lines. That allows for 3 more input lines, which in my care are coming from S/PDIF, AES/EBU, and TOSLINK (I doubt I'll ever use AES/EBU but whatever, might as well make it an option just in case) - those 3 inputs are coming from the TPA S/PDIF switcher board. The HiFiDUINO controls which input to use. You would switch them via a control knob on the front panel, and the same knob controls volume.
4. Happy to help where I can! PM me if you need additional assistance or link me to where you posted a question. I am by no means the expert but will try my best.

Getting ready to start the BIII build.

quick and possibly stupid question:

What XLR connectors are used on the BIII, male or female?

more specifically:

What is the industry connection standard for balanced output XLR devices: male or female?

I presume the balanced input device will be oposite of output device.

The way that the HiFiDUINO works is that you remove the TPA BIII firmware chip, so that control is now handled by the Arduino. You can always disconnect the HiFiDUINO and re-add the original TPA chip. I even tried using both at the same time (by accident, in the initial stages) and all that happened was buggy control. You won't damage anything, to my knowledge.
Thanks that's what I needed hear. Or read :D

1. I can definitely provide assistance where it's needed.
2. I can add to your thread if you wish.
3. The way I am doing it is using the exaU2I USB to I2S converter, which takes up 5 out of 8 of the BIII input lines. That allows for 3 more input lines, which in my care are coming from S/PDIF, AES/EBU, and TOSLINK (I doubt I'll ever use AES/EBU but whatever, might as well make it an option just in case) - those 3 inputs are coming from the TPA S/PDIF switcher board. The HiFiDUINO controls which input to use. You would switch them via a control knob on the front panel, and the same knob controls volume.
4. Happy to help where I can! PM me if you need additional assistance or link me to where you posted a question. I am by no means the expert but will try my best.

Fabulous, thanks!

I'll do a little more reading and then be in touch...

B-III IIR filter tech ?

Hi folks, quick question: can the B-III IIR low pass filter (for DSD) be engaged with playback of PCM sources, and be effective?
I ask because a specific music server combination is capable of playing DSD files converted on the fly to PCM, but does not provide the necessary low pass filter for DSD-so I would like to be able to use the ESS' IIR filter.

thanks for any help.

You can use any type of high-res USB-I2S converter and connect it either directly to the buffalo, or indirectly via sidecar-module (when you want to use additional spdif sources like you want to).

TwistedPear is also working on an own high res USB module, which will certainly be good: USB-Module Thread

You can guess from the age of the thread, that it might take a while until it is available.

I've ordered the BIII kits today and I want to add a legato to my order, how can I do it?

I get this question quite a lot, so will answer it here.

Generally the easiest way to do this is a make a second order through the web site, choosing the least expensive shipping option. Just put a note in the PayPal order that you would like the orders combined.

My order management software indicates when a customer has multiple orders pending, so it's easy for me to combine the orders and ship them together. I then refund any extra shipping charges through PayPal when I ship and know the final (actual) shipping cost.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.