• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - flexibility without compromise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Changed the board layout to this design:

zn2Gd.jpg

Hi Brian, Russ
Just a quick note to let you know that my Buffalo, Placid, Legato, Teleporter order arrived this morning. Thanks for reorganising my chaotic ordering method and shipping everything in one go.
It’s much appreciated
:cheers:

Just by way of an explanation
I’ve been wanting to build one of your DAC’s for some time ( a few tears)but always seemed to miss the boat or get trampled in the stampede. So I was quite surprised to find that a chance visit to TP that the BuffaloIII was available so I grabbed one before it was too late. I spent the next day wondering if I really had ordered one or not. (Order 1)
Then I started thinking that I’d better get the PSU/IV sorted. (order2)
All good
but
Then I noticed the Teleporter which is just what I needed (order 3).
After 3 orders I had the complete set.
So now I’m looking forward to the build.
Thanks for organising things for me
It’s much appreciated
I’ll keep you posted
Take care

Hi,
Finally getting to assembling the Buffalo III. I am a bit confused about the input jumpers. My build is a simple stereo setup for now. I have the single SPDIF input board. All I need is one SPDIF input. Do I need to install any of those jumpers on the inputs?

I've installed the jumpers on the outputs. Those things are difficult to install. I found it easier just to put a blob of solder bridging the pads. Wouldn't that work as well?

I've read Leon's guide (thanks Leon!) but could use some additional guidance with regard to the input jumpers.

Thanks, Mike

@Takaji

Here's the sketchup file you asked for. You also got a pm

Attachments

• TPA.zip.001.zip
    878.9 KB · Views: 168
  • TPA.zip.002.zip
    878.9 KB · Views: 77
  • TPA.zip.003.zip
    878.9 KB · Views: 82
  • TPA.zip.004.zip
    878.9 KB · Views: 72
  • TPA.zip.005.zip
    878.9 KB · Views: 64
  • TPA.zip.006.zip
    878.9 KB · Views: 61
  • TPA.zip.007.zip
    878.9 KB · Views: 71
  • TPA.zip.008.zip
    499.3 KB · Views: 70
No they are not. You just need a workaround :

Download all files and then rename them by removing the last 4 characters (.zip) from each file name. Then unzip the first file, the others will unzip automatically. I used 7zip for this, but windows standard zip will probably work just fine. I split them into multiple files because the file size exceeded the maximum allowed file size for uploading to the forum.

Most components in the design are grouped, but you can blow them up into smaller grouped items. Such a the side panels, front panel, back panel, volume control, placid HD etc.

I would like to share how I use built from TPA components DAC in simple stereo mode. My DAC is connected to SPDIF output of OPPO-93 Blu-ray player which works as media server. I have all my music ripped from CD's and DVD's into FLAC files and stored in 1TB portable hard drive that is connected to OPPO-93 player via e-SATA interface. In this set-up I can play music up to 24bit/192Khz resolution (SPDIF limitation). If I want to play higher resolution files then I will have to use OPPO's internal DAC and analog output. For now I have no higher resolution files than 24bit/192Khz. It is simple solution and works for me, no USB or network connection is needed. I can also stream music from my computer using wi-fi or wired network connection with the same resolution as an option.

George

I would like to share how I use built from TPA components DAC in simple stereo mode. My DAC is connected to SPDIF output of OPPO-93 Blu-ray player which works as media server. I have all my music ripped from CD's and DVD's into FLAC files and stored in 1TB portable hard drive that is connected to OPPO-93 player via e-SATA interface. In this set-up I can play music up to 24bit/192Khz resolution (SPDIF limitation). If I want to play higher resolution files then I will have to use OPPO's internal DAC and analog output. For now I have no higher resolution files than 24bit/192Khz. It is simple solution and works for me, no USB or network connection is needed. I can also stream music from my computer using wi-fi or wired network connection with the same resolution as an option.

George

Does the Buffalo DAC sound better that the OPPO-93? How are they different?

Joshua

I am not an audio expert but I can hear the difference. Buffalo sound is more detailed and sound stage is better defined. I will be mad if there is no difference after spending so much time building this DAC. There is no huge difference but it is noticeable. My primary reason to buy OPPO-93 player was for their support for FLAC files and other media files, e-SATA port and network connection, the rest is a bonus. I can verify sound quality by switching between digital and analog inputs (which I built into my DAC) when playing the file.

George

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.