• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - flexibility without compromise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looks like NwAvGuy has struck again with complimentary comments about fellow circuit designers. NwAvGuy: ODAC Update

The juicy pieces

Most DIY DACs, such as those from Twisted Pear and AMB, only support 16 bit operation over USB or they require proprietary drivers under Windows.

A good example is the FiiO E10 that only delivers roughly 16 bit performance even running at 24 bits. Some companies, like NuForce, Audio-GD, and Twisted Pear, argue they “design by ear” but the unavoidable human bias associated with such sighted listening is well documented.

I wonder whether anyone can share some standard measurements on a Buffalo II/III - IVY-III combo. I understand that it will come down to the individual build but it would be great to know at what level a good build can perform.

Cheers

Thomas

I would recommend you start with reading Leon's very excellent guide, and then come back if you have more questions.

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/doc...-Buffalo_III_DAC_Integration_Guide_V1.2.2.pdf

Russ

It was after reading Leon's excellent guide that I asked these questions. In fact the bill of materials link I provided in my post is to his guide. I do not believe the questions i posed are answered (after reading 5 times)

Your help would be apriciated.

Thanks

Hi. This is a re-post of one on the TPA site's forum, in case this is a better place for info...

Hi Russ

I've searched but don't find an answer to the following questions:

I've ordered the parts to a B-III 8-ch setup per the configuration guide. I've also added the exa u2i interface.

Q1: How do I attach the 4 x I/V units to the B-III? Is 1 mounted below and 3 mounted via the side connections? If so, what are the distances for the 4 x I/V connections? I understand this should be not more than 1" if possible.

Q2: Are all of the connection cables needed for 8-ch (including to connect 4 x I/V) included in the I/V kits or the B-III DAC, or do I need to order additional parts?

Q3: Is there a assembly guide and/or pictures of how to assemble this 8-ch unit (I have seen pics of the 4 x DAC 8-ch config, but not this 1 x DAC 8-ch config)?

Q4: Is soldering required for this assembly? If so, could give a brief description of where?

Q5: What are the minimum case dimensions for such an 8-ch DAC w 4 x I/V?

Q6: are you able to provide a few enclosure source links/names (minimal size and comfortable size) for me to consider as I prepare for my build? Low end and high end examples would be great!

Thank you VERY MUCH!!

To help anyone else looking at building an 8-ch B-III DAC combined with USB I2S interface, the following are the parts I ordered per the Bill of Materials as shown in the "Configuration Guide", plus the u2s interface:

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/doc...-Buffalo_III_DAC_Integration_Guide_V1.2.2.pdf

www.exadevices.com > Home

1) I would arrange 2 x 2 I/V stages. to the sides of the DAC. It's fine for the connections to be a bit longer than 1" just route them carefully. 3-6" is not a problem.
2) You would just wire here typically. Otherwise you will want to source your own connectors.
3) well you simply wire one DAC output to one I/V stage. Simple as that.
4) Yes you will need to solder. It should be pretty plain where you will need to solder.
5) Well this will depend on some variable parameters. How many power supplies and transformers etc.
6) I have had good luck with Par-Metal cases.

I hope that helps. I can answer more detailed questions as they come up.

I have seen these and by the nature of your response I assume a Buffalo II/IVY-III combo is similar?

Cheers

Thomas

Yes. The output stage of Buf32s is very nearly the same as IVY-III. Everything else is also quite similar. The Buf III actually has several small improvements, and if I do another Buf32 I will incorporate those.

Buf III with Ivy-III and Legato have also been measured (and they are as good or better than the Buf32S) but the company that did the measurements requested I not post them publicly.

I do not personally have access to an AP to measure with such precision.

Cheers!
Russ

It really depends on your mains condition and the load.

My current home has very good wiring and little need for that. So I don't use one right now.

In the past I have used a 1000VA transformer to isolate my gear from the mains. But that size was based the size of the highest current draw I anticipated at that time. You would need to calculate the size that would work for you if need it.

Last edited:
Hi Russ -Thank You! - I have very dirty mains here, --- I was wondering what I would need - Just for the BUFFALO 32S - ( Leaving plenty of headroom ) ....???
I want to initially going to use an Isolation Transformer just for it ----
I have your three transformers ... I have 2 LCBPS supplies, and the LCDPS Dual supply as well, - - - Thank You, dean

Hi Russ -Thank You! - I have very dirty mains here, --- I was wondering what I would need - Just for the BUFFALO 32S - ( Leaving plenty of headroom ) ....???
I want to initially going to use an Isolation Transformer just for it ----
I have your three transformers ... I have 2 LCBPS supplies, and the LCDPS Dual supply as well, - - - Thank You, dean

Well a 250W unit should be adequate and a 500-1000W unit would be even better. :)

You could go totally ott and use the same as me - 5Kva... bit big and heavy mind.
No I'm not joking either - it sits outside my office humming nicely to create silence inside from any traffos used after it.

IMG_5653-2.jpg

:) Just finished my Buffalo III Legato this afternoon. Not near broken in yet and this DAC sounds amazing. The soundstage is huge and images in precise locations. I have never put something together and had it sound this good right off the bat, I can't wait till it breaks in. :D

Thanks Russ, Brian, and LeonvB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.