• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - flexibility without compromise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Buffalo Sale Announcements

I receive a lot of emails asking when the next batch of Buffalos will be available.

I have therefore created a new thread in our support forum here:
Buffalo Sale Announcement Thread - News - Twisted Pear Audio Support

If you would like to be notified before a batch goes on sale, follow the directions in my post and you will receive an email when I post a new sale date.

I am getting ready to put everthing together on my Buffalo III. I was wondering if there is a down side to making a wooden enclosure for it? And if there is could you please explain the reason?

Thanks,

Mark

I think the HiFiduino blog just provided a fairly convincing proof that at a minimum you should provide some shielding to the dac board. There was a significant difference in unlocks when comparing the shielded/cased dac versus unshielded/uncased dac. Here's the link to the most recent post:

Sabre32 DAC Unlocks: The Shielding Factor H i F i D U I N O

For more background info you should read the previous posts as well.

You should preface that is for one person in one environment. The degree to which you need to worry about it will depend greatly on your surroundings. :)

I don't have much of anything in metal enclosures, and I do not have any such issues.

That is why I said it really just depends on the individual environment. I would say if you can use a metal enclosure, if you can't don't sweat it, there are other ways to prevent issues.

Last edited:
You should preface that is for one person in one environment. The degree to which you need to worry about it will depend greatly on your surroundings. :)

I don't have much of anything in metal enclosures, and I do not have any such issues.

That is why I said it really just depends on the individual environment. I would say if you can use a metal enclosure, if you can't don't sweat it, there are other ways to prevent issues.

Good point. :)

I think the HiFiduino blog just provided a fairly convincing proof that at a minimum you should provide some shielding to the dac board. There was a significant difference in unlocks when comparing the shielded/cased dac versus unshielded/uncased dac. Here's the link to the most recent post:

Sabre32 DAC Unlocks: The Shielding Factor H i F i D U I N O

For more background info you should read the previous posts as well.

Neb001 thanks for the comment and the link, looks like lots of interesting info on that site.

Russ, thanks for clarifying things. I just didn't know how emi/rfi would show themselves if they were a problem.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
4-Channel S/PDIF (or AES-EBU) Level Converter Kit

I have a question about the 4-Channel S/PDIF (or AES-EBU) Level Converter Kit, all pulse txs are characteristic impedance of 110R? why isn't a dedicated input only with + & gnd, this layout can affect the characteristic impedance of 75R?

Last edited:
I have a question about the 4-Channel S/PDIF (or AES-EBU) Level Converter Kit, all pulse txs are characteristic impedance of 110R? why isn't a dedicated input only with + & gnd, this layout can affect the characteristic impedance of 75R?

The impedance is set by the combinations of R1/Rs1- R4/Rs4 (one set per channel) .

There are resistors in the kit for setting 75r (S/PDIF), 110r (AES/EBU), or 10k (TTL).

Final Questions on 8-Ch B-III Build

Hi. This is a re-post of one on the TPA site's forum, in case this is a better place for info...

Hi Russ

I've searched but don't find an answer to the following questions:

I've ordered the parts to a B-III 8-ch setup per the configuration guide. I've also added the exa u2i interface.

Q1: How do I attach the 4 x I/V units to the B-III? Is 1 mounted below and 3 mounted via the side connections? If so, what are the distances for the 4 x I/V connections? I understand this should be not more than 1" if possible.

Q2: Are all of the connection cables needed for 8-ch (including to connect 4 x I/V) included in the I/V kits or the B-III DAC, or do I need to order additional parts?

Q3: Is there a assembly guide and/or pictures of how to assemble this 8-ch unit (I have seen pics of the 4 x DAC 8-ch config, but not this 1 x DAC 8-ch config)?

Q4: Is soldering required for this assembly? If so, could give a brief description of where?

Q5: What are the minimum case dimensions for such an 8-ch DAC w 4 x I/V?

Q6: are you able to provide a few enclosure source links/names (minimal size and comfortable size) for me to consider as I prepare for my build? Low end and high end examples would be great!

Thank you VERY MUCH!!

To help anyone else looking at building an 8-ch B-III DAC combined with USB I2S interface, the following are the parts I ordered per the Bill of Materials as shown in the "Configuration Guide", plus the u2s interface:

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/doc...-Buffalo_III_DAC_Integration_Guide_V1.2.2.pdf

www.exadevices.com > Home

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.