• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

BTSB with Tube Buffer - HyperSET GB

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The assembled boards have arrived. Looking very good. I will setup a test rig to verify they work before shipping.
IMG_5514.jpeg

I will also need to make a quick start diagram showing how to connect everything and how the power switch and the tube bypass switch works. Plus details of how to use this to control the startup logic of an external amplifier for graceful power on and off.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Folks,
This is the QuickStart instruction sheet - basically the I/O schematic showing all connections to the HyperSET. The connector jacks are labeled and I have a red colored note for each one. Some are optional, for example, the external volume pot. It’s preconfigured for pass through and two SMT 0R jumpers need to be removed of using external volume pot. The amp logic control outputs are also optional. The logic is enabled after about 15 seconds to allow the tubes to warm up and for the B+ 90v supply to stabilize. The tube bypass is also optional if you always want to run in tube mode. The 6.3v output is optional and good for an external LED power on indicator.

IMG_5522.jpeg

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I made the connectors and testing the first one with some music and it sounds great. Don’t forget to change the gain on DIP switches from the default All ON position to desired value. 0dB is All Off, 6dB is 1=4=ON, 14dB is 2=5=ON, 20dB is 3=6=ON.

IMG_5524.jpeg

IMG_5525.jpeg

I have installed the 6N1P tubes in this case. I’ll leave it on overnight to burn in.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Folks,
I have fully tested all boards with matched pairs of 6N1P tubes and prepped ready for delivery. Testing includes listening to audio output on balanced out in addition to sing or ended out. My shipment of Molex KK 2 and 3 pin connectors just arrived so I am going to include a full set of connector shells and crimp pins so you can be up and running right away. That’s 6x 2pin and 6x 3pin and 30 crimp pins (a $7 value in connectors).

I have also modified a board to have an external volume pot. This requires removing R101/103 using a soldering iron and hot solder blob. Then install an 8pin MicroMatch connector jack (female). You will need a male to male 8 pin MicroMatch cable assembly. The included volume pot helper board accepts most 6pin Alps/Bourns RK09 volume pots. Recommended value is 10k and part RK09L12D0A1T.

Here the 0R resistors near J142 have bee removed:
IMG_5542.jpeg

The 8pin Micromatch connector jack installed:
IMG_5543.jpeg

The volume control works smoothly and scratch free. Very nice and simple. I did find one minor issue. It appear the helper PCB has the rotation sense mixed up. To fix this install the pot on the opposite side of the indicated silk screen to flip the rotation. This will make the usual CCW low volume and CW high volume.

8pin IDC ribbon cable with connectors installed:
IMG_5544.jpeg

I did not have exact pot so used one I had on hand so fit is not correct:
IMG_5545.jpeg

Volume knob feature works well and allows this board to be used as a preamp to a power amp. Note that SE and Balanced outputs are simultaneous independent buffered outputs and can be used at the same time. The SE output is an OPA1656 capable of high fidelity low distortion and high current output. As shown in the BTSB, the balanced output when driven by a balanced input can be as high as 53Vpp.
IMG_5546.jpeg

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This is a fine sounding preamp. I love how much oomph it has to drive any amp and the volume pot is butter smooth and scratch free when changing volumes. Doing more listening and when I connected a TT and Phono-01 preamp to it as source, wow - the sound was magnificent. Something about the tube buffer and analog vinyl giving the Class D amp that extra naturalness.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Folks,
I am ready to ship out the orders today.

Need to confirm from @elcarlissimo if he still wants the custom RTR BTSB Lites with his order.

Studley / 1 / Uk - cancelled
“D.V.” / 1 / North America - ordered
Plott / 1 / Austria - ordered
elcarlissimo / 2 / ordered - partial refund completed
vulture / 1 / USA - ordered
“M.P.” / 1 / Bulgaria - ordered

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I suspected that an OPA1656 can drive headphones so I had to try. I connected my Status Audio CB-1 33ohm cans. It sounds quite good - decent bass and very clear. No discernible background noise or hiss / hum. Silence when music not playing as expected. If one adds a high current buffer to this, a very nice HPA can be made. TPA6120A2 is good.
IMG_5734.jpeg

IMG_5733.jpeg

Being able to drive 33ohms means it can drive almost any impedance amp input.

Last edited:
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hi Folks,
I am ready to ship out the orders today.

Need to confirm from @elcarlissimo if he still wants the custom RTR BTSB Lites with his order.

Studley / 1 / Uk - cancelled
“D.V.” / 1 / North America - ordered
Plott / 1 / Austria - ordered
elcarlissimo / 2 / ordered - partial refund completed
vulture / 1 / USA - ordered
“M.P.” / 1 / Bulgaria - ordered
Hi X,
I just wanted to check if you have already shipped because Etsy says "not shipped"
Cheers