Bryston 4B SST clone

I agree with amplitude; with good matching and high quality components its an excellent amplifierKSC2690/KSC2690A. the PN100 and PN200 used for the differential pairs in the pre and power amp are now obsolete and hard to find,

Most of Semiconductor are not obsolete, because now available as SMD

The SMD version of the KSC2690

is available as the FMMT625 or 2SC2881

or use KSC3503 and KSA1381 for excellent linearity and agin

How about heat in IDLE ?

KSC3503 is very popular using in discret Class D Comparator stage

Thanks Amplidude....what is your opinion about MJL21194 VS NJW21194,as I checked with NJW21194 and gave good weight of sound than MJL ?
I have no clue, I just used the mjl21193/194, looking at data sheet they appear the same the njw21194 has a little lower hfe, I think it's just a new version of the old MJL21194, maybe chalky knows?

Last edited:
Fetamp, if you're going to experiment with output devices bear in mind that the parts you mentioned, and the ones that Bryston used, are quite slow devices - the ft is only 4Mhz. Using modern high ft power devices ( ft=30-60Mhz ) could lead to instability. Not inevitably but frequently. I'm pretty sure I got my switches from RS, or less possibly from Farnell. Even if you can't order from them you should be able to get the manufacturer part number from their online catalogue so you order from elsewhere. I'm away from home at present or I'd look up the details of my order for you. If you're still stuck after a few days let me know and I'll dig out the details for you whem I'm back home.

Fetamp, if you're going to experiment with output devices bear in mind that the parts you mentioned, and the ones that Bryston used, are quite slow devices - the ft is only 4Mhz. Using modern high ft power devices ( ft=30-60Mhz ) could lead to instability. Not inevitably but frequently. I'm pretty sure I got my switches from RS, or less possibly from Farnell. Even if you can't order from them you should be able to get the manufacturer part number from their online catalogue so you order from elsewhere. I'm away from home at present or I'd look up the details of my order for you. If you're still stuck after a few days let me know and I'll dig out the details for you whem I'm back home.

Thanks Chalky....will try to find out part number if not contact you.that njw one is very cold at idling and little warm at higher gain.pleas study data sheet that I have upload and advise me.
Thanks

Sounds like they're biased to hard, did you use correct components? Is it the same on both boards? Is the board regulating to the correct voltage +/÷ 33 volt?

Thanks Amplidude I used BC546/556...voltages are 29 and 31 ???.....did not used CRD replace with 15k resistor.anything related to input ?.Q7/8 also hot(BD140\0/139).....same problem in both boards
Thanks

Fetamp, did you readjust the bias after you used a different output devices? Did you mix NJW MJL transistors? The emitter resistors should take care of current sharing so after a period of use all of the output devices should feel equally warm.

Thanks Chalky....those are not the output transistors....input board Q3,4,7,8 become hot when connect to AMP input.cold when disconnected.I used BC546/556 and BD140/139 for above transistors. Please advise me
Thanks

Attachments

• BRYSTON_INPUT_Rev?2.0.pdf
    104.3 KB · Views: 186
Fetamp do you have a schematic with part numbers for your input boards? I ask because the one that you used is different to the one that amplitude and I used.

Thanks....schematic attached.I feel any incompatibility between input board’s output with AMP’S input?

Attachments

• BRYSTON_INPUT_Rev?2.0.pdf
    104.3 KB · Views: 155
  • BRYSTON-4B-SST_INPUT_Rev?2.0-BOM.pdf
    78 KB · Views: 135
  • BRYSTON-4B-SST_Rev?3.2-SCH.pdf
    113.5 KB · Views: 170
  • BRYSTON-4B-SST_Rev?3.2-BOM.pdf
    77.7 KB · Views: 139
Last edited: