Brilliancy in Sport, Your favourite moments

Joined 2012
Staff member
Paid Member
Steve, you need to pay greater attention.
Hey, slow down
Advice you should mirror.
<snip>I keep telling you to slow down.
See above.
OK, I'll back off <snip>
Wise choice.
You will get it wrong at every stage.
Not sure where to begin with this one.
Wonder what I did to offend <snip> :confused:
Again, not sure where to begin with this one. Reflection is in order.
Please keep your input as on-topic as possible to avoid further actions.

The Moderation team thanks you.

Surprised to see you interested, I was fascinated by snooker back in 1966 and can't remember why since it was virtually unknown here.``

I appreciate excellence in any skill...

In my life I have been the lead dog, as well as the one further back...

The difference is...the lead dog's scenery changes..:eek:

In terms of athletic competition, I have experienced the instant where I suddenly realized I could take it all, then did...it changed my life path. So, this thread hits home..

jn

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Geraint Thomas 2013. Fractured his pelvis on the first stage of the tour de France and continued to ride for another 2000 miles. He had to be lifted on and off his bike each day.

Tyler Hamilton in 2003 possibly takes the hard nut award for doing doing the tour with a broken collarbone. He needed 11 teeth capping afterwards as he ground on them to distract himself from the pain.

This thread is warming up into a Classic, IMO.

I think we must doubt Scott Sterling's sporting achievements. Smelt a bit Rum to me. But I actually want to chase up Bert Trautmann's book in the Library. "Steppes to Wembley." What a life!

Goalkeepers are different. They have an entirely "other" sense of time to the rest of us. Gordon Banks, who was a great hero of mine, swears to this day he and the defense had Weber's 1966 2-2 equalizer nicely covered. But Weber mishit it to score! :(

Thing is, I have watched this goal countless times. It all happened in less than half a second! Faster than normal human reaction time. :confused:

England v West Germany: 1966 World Cup Final | British Pathe - YouTube

You wouldn't find me cycling up Mont Ventoux. Misery going uphill, seriously scary coming down.

But clearly Geraint Thomas is a hero, because he finally won the Tour. Tyler Hamilton had the whiff of drugs about him. Nobody can accuse my poor soccer team of being on drugs, the way they play... :eek:

Tom Simpson died on Ventoux due to doping when it was still legal.

Doping has been rife in cycling for over a hundred years.
I read about one guy who was so doped out of his head he kept pedalling after he fell over.
Back in the 20s and 30s during the Six Days indoor races they used a mixture of cocaine and arsenic.

Let me fix that for you, we are, after all, sportsmen who pick each other up after a fall:

Doping in one form or another had been rife in an awful lot of sports for a very long time!

Bring back the original rules of the Tour de France where someone was disqualified for having help pumping the bellows as he rebrazed his frame!

system7 said:
To be honest, I have little sporting talent. Two left feet at Physical Soccer. Cowardice and sluggishness in the Mental Game of Chess.

But Sporting genes. We came second in the Bedford College Doubles Brighouse Table Football competition in 1977. Despite my forward line being slow. If I had had John Derby up front, I would be holding the Trophy now. I played defense. No-one had a faster wrist than me at whipping a shot up to the other end.

TBH, it sometimes went horribly wrong. It would bounce back out of the opponents goal with a crack back into my own. 0-1! :eek:

But if I remember right, it once did a double bounce and I scored anyway. But I may be dreaming. :D

Last edited:
Roach out! We win! :D

Gabriel survives undefeated. Somerset Boy, spinner Dom Bess takes the final wicket.

1-1 into the final game. We hope England's secret weapon, paceman Jofra Archer is back.

billshurv, I have played this game. The opponents applaud you to the wicket. Then they seriously try to kill you. It's a Man's game. And occassionaly a Woman's game. If you are brave about a a 90 mph ball whizzing towards your head. :eek:

I once got hit on the hip by a cricket ball. I saw stars.

I can tell you boys have never even played Cricket! :eek:

What do we think about Martial Arts?

Brutal Mano a Mano stuff like Taekwondo, Judo and Kendo...

A more interesting variation is Aikido.

Protect your attacker from injury. After all, you don't want to end up in Court. :cool:

Anyone who attacks me is in for a surprise. This one can beat all the others.

I love this Sport. Or Art. We were doing it on the beach today. Any idea what it might be. Clue: Chinese element of Water.

I used to work out at a Muay Thai gym many years ago. After coming to appreciate the sport I had to smile when you called other martial arts "brutal". I think if you wanted to take on a real Thai prizefighter you might to save your coloured belts for bandages after the fact :) Although in general the most talented fighters have always followed the biggest purses as different combat sports have risen and declined in popularity over the decades.

That being said I have seen some great amateur fights with amazing comebacks.