Bride of Zen, Bride of Son of Zen

....if your source res is 150 ohm........source current is 6V/150 = 40mA;
40ma x 1k = 40 V drop across the drain res..........
16V + 40V = 56V , this should be your drain voltage at the res psu side.

you can decrease the current a little bit ( 36mA or so)
and/or use a lower value for the 1k res (e.g. 820 ohm) to get the 20V from
the schematic.......

.......overview

Attachments

• boz mod 4.JPG
    boz mod 4.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 429
fiddle with P102 to get 4V at mosfet source , ref. to gnd

that's sole important setting , everything else is secondary

I do not agree with this completely

The problem with my BOZ was the volume control on the output combined with the asymmetric setting of Vd (20V with 60V supply). I am sure Mr. Pass did the to find sweet spot on distortion, but it had some issues:

The gain is close to 18dB (4x) and with a CD input of 2Vrms, the output will be 8Vrms. This is almost 23Vpp and the output will be clipping on the low part, independed on volumen setting.

There are some options to prevent this:

1. Move volumen control to input, but remain 5k load on output
2. Reduce drain resistor from 1k to 750R, maintaining 40mA current but giving half supply at drain and lower gain...
3. Adjust bias for 30V drain voltage and thereby reducing drain current to 27-30mA...

2 and 3 will give new operating points and will perhaps results in increased distortion compared with original.
1 will make circuit noise independed of volumen setting...and remember that PSRR is close to 0dB

I reduceed gain by R104/R108 to 840R/150R
Bride of Zen, Bride of Son of Zen

Hi ! thanks so much for the very kind and valuable advice.
Just to be precise in my unit the volume pot is placed at the input ... i prefer a constant impedance output and a Zout=1K is fine for me ;)

I have still some doubts: :confused:
1) i understand that the overall gain is set by the ratio 104/108 ... but i do not know the exact formula to calculate the gain. Do you know it ? :eek:
2) in the original the mosfet Vds=16V ... why not decreasing the Vsupply from 60 to 40V and use a R104=500 ohm and leaving all other parts unchanged ? :rolleyes:

Thanks again and kind regards,
gino

Attachments

• boz.JPG
    boz.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 330
Last edited: