Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book

I have to look for parts 2-4 but here's the first part, I think this was originally posted on
the bass list in the mid 1990s:

"Cable Nonsense" by John Dunlavy:

Here's the first in a four part series "Cable nonsense" that John Dunlavy posted to the rec.audio.high-end newsgroup:
I'll post parts 2-4 if there is interest.
From 102365.2026@compuserve.com Tue Nov 11 12:47:34 1997
Newsgroups: rec.audio.high-end
Subject: Cable nonsense -- article #1
Date: 11 Nov 1997 13:47:34 -0500
Having read some of the recent comments on rec.audio.opinion and high end,
concerning "audible" differences between interconnect and loudspeaker cables, I
could not resist adding some thoughts about the subject as a concerned engineer
possessing credible credentials.
To begin, several companies design and manufacture loudspeaker and interconnect
cables which they proudly claim possess optimized electrical properties for the
audiophile applications intended. However, accurate measurements of several
popularly selling cables reveal significant differences that call into question
the technical goals of their designer. These differences also question the
capability of the companies to perform accurate measurements of important cable
performance properties. For example, any company not possessing a precision
C-L-R bridge, a Vector Impedance Meter, a Network Analyzer, a precision waveform
and impulse generator, wideband precision oscilloscopes, etc., probably needs to
purchase them if they are truly serious about designing audio cables that
provide premium performance.
The measurable properties of loudspeaker cables that are important to their
performance include characteristic impedance (series inductance and parallel
capacitance per unit length), loss resistance (including additional resistance
due to skin-effect losses versus frequency), dielectric losses versus frequency
(loss tangent, etc.), velocity-of-propagation factor, overall loss versus
frequency into different impedance loads, etc.
Measurable properties of interconnect cables include all of the above, with the
addition of those properties of the dielectric material that contribute to
"microphonic noise" in the presence of ambient vibration, noise, etc. (in
combination with a "D.C. off-set" created by a pre-amp output circuit, etc.).
While competent cable manufacturers should be aware of these measurements and
the need to make them during the design of their cables, the raw truth is that
most do not! Proof of this can be found in the absurd buzzard-salve, snake-oil
and meaningless advertising claims found in almost all magazine ads and product
literature for audiophile cables. Perhaps worse, very few of the expensive,
high-tech appearing cables we have measured appear to have been designed in
accordance with the well-known laws and principles taught by proper physics and
engineering disciplines. (Where are the costly Government Consumer Protection
people who are supposed to protect innocent members of the public by identifying
and policing questionable performance claims, misleading specifications, etc.?)
--- Caveat Emptor!
For example, claiming that copper wire is "directional", that slow-moving
electrons create distortion as they haphazardly carry the signal along a wire,
that cables store and release energy as signals propagate along them, that a
"final energy component" (improperly labeled as "Joules") is the measure of the
tonality of cables, ad nauseum, are but a few of the non-entities used in
advertisements to describe "cable performance".
Another pet peeve of mine is the concept of a "special configuration" included
with a loudspeaker cable which is advertised as being able to "terminate the
cable" in a matter intended to deliver more accurate tonality, better imaging,
lower "noise", etc. The real truth is that this "special configuration" contains
nothing more than a simple, inexpensive network intended to prevent
poorly-designed amplifiers, with a too-high slew-rate (obtained at the expense
of instability caused by too much inverse-feedback) from oscillating when
connected to a loudspeaker through a low-loss, low-impedance cable. When this
"box" appears at the loudspeaker-end of a cable, it seldom contains nothing more
than a "Zobel network", which is usually a "series resistor-capacitor" network,
connector in parallel with the wires of the cable. If it is at the amplifier-end
of the cable, it is probably either a "parallel resistor-inductor" network,
connected in series with the cable conductors (or a simple cylindrical ferrite
sleeve covering both conductors). But the proper place for such a network, if it
is needed to "insure amplifier stability and prevent high-frequency
oscillations", is within the amplifier - not along the loudspeaker cable. Hmmm!
Having said all this, are there really any significant "audible" differences
between most cables that can be consistently identified by experienced
listeners? The answer is simple: very seldom! Those who claim otherwise do not
fully grasp the power of the old "Placebo-Effect" - which is very alive and well
among even the most well-intentioned listeners. The placebo-effect renders
"audible signatures" easy to detect and describe - if the listener knows which
cable is being heard. But, take away this knowledge during blind or double-blind
listening comparisons and the differences either disappear completely or hover
close to the level of random guessing. Speaking as a competent professional
engineer, designer and manufacturer, nothing would please me and my company's
staff more than being able to design a cable which consistently yielded a
positive score during blind listening comparisons against other cables. But it
only rarely happens - if we wish to be honest!
Oh yes, we have heard of golden-eared audiophiles who claim to be able to
consistently identify "huge, audible differences" between cables. But when these
experts have visited our facility and were put to the test under
carefully-controlled conditions, they invariably failed to yield a score any
better than "chance". For example, when led to believe that three popular cables
were being compared, varying in size from a high-quality 12 AWG ZIP-CORD to a
"high-tech looking" cable with a diameter exceeding an inch, the largest and
sexiest looking cable always scored best - even though the CABLES WERE NEVER
CHANGED and they listened to the ZIP Cord the entire time.
Sorry, but I do not buy the claims of those who say they can always audibly
identify differences between cables, even when the comparisons are properly
controlled to ensure that the identity of the cable being heard is not known by
the listener. We have accomplished too many "true blind comparisons" with
listeners possessing the right credentials, including impeccable hearing
attributes, to know that "real, audible differences" seldom exist - if the
comparisons are properly implemented to eliminate other causes such as system
interactions with cables, etc.
Indeed, during these "comparisons" (without changing cables), some listeners
were able to describe in great detail the "big differences" they thought they
heard in bass, high-end detail, etc. (Of course, the participants were never
told the "NAUGHTY TRUTH", lest they become an enemy for life!)
So why does a reputable company like DAL engage in the design and manufacture of
audiophile loudspeaker cables and interconnects? The answer is simple: Since
significant measurable differences do exist and because well-known and
understood transmission line theory defines optimum relationships between such
parameters as cable impedance and the impedance of the load (loudspeaker), the
capacitance of an interconnect and the input impedance of the following stage,
why not design cables that at least satisfy what theory has to teach? And, since
transmission line theory is universally applied, quite successfully, in the
design of cables intended for TV, microwave, telephone, and other critical
applications requiring peak performance, etc., why not use it in designing
cables intended for critical audiophile applications? Hmmm! To say, as some do,
that there are factors involved that competent engineers and scientists have yet
to identify is utter nonsense and a cover-up for what should be called "pure
snake oil and buzzard salve" - in short, pure "fraud". If any cable
manufacturer, writer, technician, etc. can identify such an audible design
parameter that cannot be measured using available lab equipment or be described
by known theory, I can guarantee a nomination for a "Nobel Prize".
Anyway, I just had to share some of my favorite Hmmm's, regarding cable myths
and seemingly fraudulent claims, with audiophiles on the net who may lack the
technical expertise to separate fact from fiction with regard to cable
performance. I also welcome comments from those who may have other opinions or
who may know of something I might have missed or misunderstood regarding cable
design, theory or secret criteria used by competitors to achieve performance
that cannot be measured or identified by conventional means. Lets all try to get
to the bottom of this mess by open, informed and objective inquiry.
I sincerely believe the time has come for concerned audiophiles, true engineers,
competent physicists, academics, mag editors, etc. to take a firm stand
regarding much of this disturbing new trend in the blatantly false claims
frequently found in cable advertising. If we fail to do so, reputable designers,
engineers, manufacturers, magazine editors and product reviewers may find their
reputation tarnished beyond repair among those of the audiophile community we
are supposed to serve.
Best Regards, John Dunlavy

Outstanding article!

One thing I would always like to see is a measurement of the frequency response as seen at the loudspeaker terminals with the given amplifier driving the cables.

The second thing I also allow for is that different amplifiers sound different because they are misbehaving differently.

Cheers,
Bob

Outstanding article!
The second thing I also allow for is that different amplifiers sound different because they are misbehaving differently.

Cheers,
Bob

I agree on this point. I'd really like to see if I can duplicate the failure with Self's amp and
then see if MIC (or anything else) helps the amp remain stable with the difficult load. I
wonder if the problem would show up in SPICE.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Demian do you remember the value of the termination resistor?

Jan

Sorry, I should have mentioned it was 100 Ohms. Part of the rationale was that most speakers (all I measured) were inductive above 20 KHz and a resistive load should keep amplifiers happy. And its something that seemed to consistently sound better. I still bridge 100 Ohm resistors across speakers. Even a 1W resistor will survive just fine for most people.

Sorry, I should have mentioned it was 100 Ohms. Part of the rationale was that most speakers (all I measured) were inductive above 20 KHz and a resistive load should keep amplifiers happy. And its something that seemed to consistently sound better. I still bridge 100 Ohm resistors across speakers. Even a 1W resistor will survive just fine for most people.
And most twin/fig 8 cables have impedance of around 100R give or take.
I am running series 39R+36R 0.6W MF across each end of RG-59 75R coax antenna cable as termination resistances and I find this makes very pleasant improvement in clarity, detail and 'quietness'.
Surprisingly this 1.2W rating is sufficient for domestic usage with 100W rated amp playing music, pure tones might be a different matter though !.
Also surprisingly perhaps is subjective difference according to resistor type, ie I find MF clear and 'neutral; CF sounded strongly coloured.
Some may like the colouration of the CF, I didn't so they got the boot.

Dan.

This is a very good point, and it is pretty much the same concept of the Zobel network I suggest using at the end of the speaker cable, just that I put a capacitor on the order of 0.01 uF in series, which reduces the power dissipation in the resistor.

Cheers,
Bob

@jan.didden
Anyone have contact info for Cyril Bateman? I'd like to get the schematic, PCB layout, and
grounding diagrams for his Self amps. Guessing they were home brew or is there a
commercial version out there?
I'm not aware of a readily available PCB for them - kind of surprising.

The thing that caught my eye in the schematic you showed was the lead capacitor in the feedback loop. Often used to improve phase margin, they can sometimes create more stability problems than they solve, especially if not used very sparingly. I never use feedback lead capacitors. However, I do use feedback networks with relatively low impedance so as to mitigate the effects of the pole formed by the feedback network impedance and the input capacitance of the input stage.

The use of a low-impedance feedback network also tends to reduce noise. The shunt resistor of the NFB network I use is usually 1k or 500 ohms. The price paid for this is the need to use feedback resistors with higher dissipation. For the series feedback resistor, I use two 1-watt metal film resistors in series. In some cases I'll use a pair of 2-watt resistors.

The center tap formed by the two feedback resistors also makes it possible to make a rough check for adequate phase margin and gain margin by enabling of the deliberate reduction of those margins by either shorting one of them (gain margin) or shunting the center tap with a small capacitance to ground to deliberately degrade phase margin for testing. This is described in Chapter 4 of the second edition where testing for the BC-1 amplifier is covered.

Cheers,
Bob

I kind of like a small lead cap to compensate for the pole formed by the input capacitance,
but wonder what might be the best way to "tune"/design the network without the need for an
expensive active probe. I don't think an exact solution is needed, just one that roughly
compensates to keep it stable.

I suppose one could split the shunt resistor into 10 or less ohms plus the rest of the resistance,
then feed a signal generator in with a known source impedance perhaps 10K and measure the
input impedance to determine Cin through measured frequency response.

Another issue - I'd expect the large shunt cap to really screw things up at HF but nobody seems
to talk about it. Just looked at some curves and while they usually self resonate below 1 MHz
the impedance remains low (less or much less than 10 ohms) below 10 MHz. The impedance is
mostly determined by the R in series and therefore it probably doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Hi Bob,

I think Jan and myself were wondering why the cover graphics on the hardcover was not the same as the one on the softcover?

Another issue - I'd expect the large shunt cap to really screw things up at HF but nobody seems
to talk about it. Just looked at some curves and while they usually self resonate below 1 MHz
the impedance remains low (less or much less than 10 ohms) below 10 MHz. The impedance is
The pcb version of BC-1 uses a 1uF/100V stacked poly film cap (Kemet F612JT105J100R) in parallel with the large shunt 220uF/50V ecap (Nichicon UES1H221MHM). These are not shown in the BAF2019 slides nor the book, but are mentioned in the book. I assume they were left out to make it easier to read.
BC-1 pcb uses the same film cap in parallel with the 10uF/50V (UES1H100MPM) at the input too.

Rick

Last edited:
I kind of like a small lead cap to compensate for the pole formed by the input capacitance,
but wonder what might be the best way to "tune"/design the network without the need for an
expensive active probe. I don't think an exact solution is needed, just one that roughly
compensates to keep it stable.

I suppose one could split the shunt resistor into 10 or less ohms plus the rest of the resistance,
then feed a signal generator in with a known source impedance perhaps 10K and measure the
input impedance to determine Cin through measured frequency response.

Small for that very reason is fine, but it usually needs to be very small, unlike what was in the schematic you posted. Think of the feedback network as a capacitance voltage divider in parallel with a resistance voltage divider of the same ratio, as is used in capacitance-compensated attenuators in test equipment. Suppose the stray capacitance at the IPS is 10 pf and the gain of the amplifier is 28. The appropriate compensating capacitor would then only be on the order of 0.4 pF. A different approach would be to go all-in with a capacitance-compensated attenuator for the feedback network. In this case, one might add 120 pF of shunt capacitance to ground and then all a series feedback capacitor on the order of 5 pf.

When a small-value feedback shunt resistor is used, like 500 ohms or 1k, it does necessitate a rather large shunt decoupling capacitor in a conventional arrangement, inevitably an electrolytic, inviting issues at high frequencies due to possible ESL and self resonances, plus electrolytic distortion. The first obvious step is to shunt the electrolytic with a 1 uF film capacitor of good quality. This will not do much for electrolytic distortion, however. The use of higher-voltage NP electrolytics designed for loudspeaker crossovers can provide a significant improvement, but take up more space. Ultimately, my preferred choice is to ditch the capacitor and use a well-designed DC servo with a quality integrating capacitor. Such a DC servo may end up taking no more space than a decent electrolytic shunt capacitor.

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob,

I think Jan and myself were wondering why the cover graphics on the hardcover was not the same as the one on the softcover?

The pcb version of BC-1 uses a 1uF/100V stacked poly film cap (Kemet F612JT105J100R) in parallel with the large shunt 220uF/50V ecap (Nichicon UES1H221MHM). These are not shown in the BAF2019 slides nor the book, but are mentioned in the book. I assume they were left out to make it easier to read.
BC-1 pcb uses the same film cap in parallel with the 10uF/50V (UES1H100MPM) at the input too.

Rick

I suspect it is not practical or economical to put fancy and colorful graphics on a hard-cover book. Of course, sometimes hard-cover books come in paper sleeves where such graphics are entirely possible.

Yes, I left the film bypass capacitors off of the BAF slides for simplicity.

Cheers,
Bob