Birch Plywood Alternative

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Sorry, I got the brand confused with another name. The plywood I am taking about is called “Purebond”

From mfg: “Veneered construction gives these decorative PureBond Birch Plywood Project Panels the strength, flatness and rigidity to satisfy the most discerning craftsman. Each 7-ply sheet is assembled with a soy-based PureBond technology to fortify its structural integrity, with the added benefit of being formaldehyde-free so it wills not off-gas toxic fumes over time as UF-constructed plywood is known to do. The decorative veneers are precision-cut from domestically grown, sustainably harvested birch trees, producing visually alluring wood grains on the face and back of the panel that exhibit the warmth, beauty and timeless quality of natural hardwood. Featuring real timber throughout, the core veneer consists of natural yellow poplar substrate laid in alternating cross bands for utmost stability and ruggedness. It's a cost-competitive alternative to urea formaldehyde-laden plywood and will not contribute to air-quality degradation like composite panels. For extraordinary results on your next carpentry or woodworking project, add this 3/4 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. panel to your arsenal for construction of cabinets, entertainment centers, wall panels, coffee tables, bookcases, toy chests, benches, desks, shelves and more. The decorative veneers have a smooth finish that allows painting or staining to make it uniquely yours.”

3/4in x 8ft x 4ft and made by Columbia Forest Products. Can be bought at HD.

Purebond is in stock at Home Depot.

Capture.JPG

Plywood specialty stores in the area carry 5x5 9-ply birch sheets. I don't know where the birch is sourced. I just picked up cabinet grade plywood called Premcore for $85/sheet (3/4") to make small enclosures that match a rising directivity index freestanding waveguide so I can compare it against a flatter DI waveguide in a simple box - and then again in a passive cardioid enclosure. I don't know if it will work well for enclosures but it is extremely light weight compared to normal plywood. They had prefinished Premcore 3/4" for $120/sheet.

https://www.canusawood.com/premcore

Premcore sheets are noticeably lighter weight than the regular plywood sheets at Home Depot. Or maybe I got Premcore Plus. I'm not sure now because the store just labeled it as Premcore.

https://www.canusawood.com/premcore-plus

Last edited:
I have seen quite a few of those alternatives. The issue is that they never really catch on unfortunately.
Meaning it's difficult to get, or you're still paying a steep price because they can't lower the price because of lower quantities. Plus the shipping costs can be very high if there isn't a shop close by.

If you're looking for monitor/book shelf sized speakers, these days cutting boards can be a nice alternative sometimes.

I have seen beech wood ones (sometimes laminated) as well as bamboo. Both are pretty stiff.
They work great with a hybrid construction with MDF.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I don’t know what mine is called but it appears to be a bunch of thinner strips bonded together and machined smooth. It takes CNC cuts and mill operations well. Like hard plastic or aluminum basically. Hard stuff and very durable.

Price is comparable to Russian BB plywood - a tad more expensive. But now that Russian BB is basically unobtanium, the bamboo is really a nice alternative.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks! Yes, those are also custom made CNC binding post plates. Designed for Viborg binding posts. 5mm thick and rebated to 3mm where the posts go. I originally designed them for a certain model commercial speaker but find them so handy, I reuse the design on many new speakers now that I design. I also keep a dozen or so blank ones (unlabeled) for use on development and prototyping.
IMG_3553.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This one is made by Garnica (Spanish) and distributed in the UK by James Lathem. They do one shown here with Maple faces (more expensive) and one with the Poplar as faces. I sanded and clear-coated. I'm not saying you should buy this exact one, but knowing such a thing exists is good.

Thanks for sharing this. In 2017 I bought 3 sheets of Maple plywood for a project, it was imported from Spain and looks exactly like the sample you show. At that time it was about $50 U.S. dollars per sheet wholesale, $125 retail. Lucky for me that the client changed his mind about the project so I am the proud owner of this very fine maple plywood. I have been contemplating using it for a pair of enclosures for my Altec 416Z woofers, 811B horns & 806A drivers.

What russian birch substitute have folks found that has an equivalent number of plies?
That is, 13 plies for 18mm / 3/4in.
11 plies for 15mm / 5/8in; and 9 plies for 12mm / 1/2in.

I don't care too much about surface quality, as I typically used textured or enamel-epoxy type paint.
But I need complete flatness without any bowing, along with being about to cut very clean beveled miters for making large unity horns.
Screw holding is important too.
Plie count seems to be a major determinant for that kind of structural rigidity, workability, and screw holding power....yes/no ?

Russian birch has worked so well for all my DIYS.
Of course, totally unobtainable now in the US, I'm trying different stuff, and so far finding what I'd call "not bad, but not good either"