Beyond the petite Onken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I did that from an old bed (the thin layer which is near the body) and if it is not an easy task because the seams, I can testimony that the wool was from a very good quality because true wool... not sure it has to see with France... if there were sheeps I'm not sure they live in the mountains but more in some buildings ! Think wool from Scotland, China (washed) , Australia or America is as good ! But I dunno, was not a french bed.

Canada is also the frst Linen producer, I assume linen fiber should be tried as well as easilier avaliable without pain here. Problem when sourced from insulating material is the chimical treatments for insects and fire : not so good for the health in a living room, so better to take it before such process !

Bilogical wool is what you ideally want to your health and flatish the WAF bump ;)

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Carpet backing made of natural animal fibers is what you want to look for. It comes in 0.5" (1.2cm) thick batts and you can double it up if necessary. (I found it was not.)

I did not use a felt curtain in mine, but attached the felt to the rear panel and bottom.

Don't over do it, less is required than you might think. Start with back and bottom and add one side if additional damping is needed.

Fiberglas, and acousta-stuff does not work! Don't waste your time. :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Simplier than bed wool felt :D ! Where do you find such a backing please ? Must be very more expensive than vegetable furs or synthetic ones in order to avoid a carpet to slip :cool:.

If you need a big felt to damp the back of the Onken in the middle with the bed wool, you don't need to un-seam the cushioning of the bed outside layer but just cut the square around the bed... and your Onken looks like inside of a Vuitton coach.

Have to find a bed though. Take a latex, it provides good dampers :rolleyes:

Carpet backing made of natural animal fibers is what you want to look for. It comes in 0.5" (1.2cm) thick batts and you can double it up if necessary. (I found it was not.)

I did not use a felt curtain in mine, but attached the felt to the rear panel and bottom.

Don't over do it, less is required than you might think. Start with back and bottom and add one side if additional damping is needed.

Fiberglas, and acousta-stuff does not work! Don't waste your time. :)

Thats where things get confusing. In the original Hiraga plans it only shows a few pieces of felt, not much and doesn't even mention the curtain (unless I missed it...)

I was planning on doing only what are in the Hiraga plans and likely the curtain too...but I'm not sure at which point the curtain came into the picture as part of this build?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
No, you really want carpet felt and you will need to talk to a carpet shop. I believe most will happily sell you small quantities.

Something like this might also be suitable:

Thick Felt Rug Pads - Designed for Comfort - RugPadUSA

Carpet Pad - Non-Toxic, Effective - Green Building Supply

You would want to try the 7/16"

I did the minimum and listened, and was surprised how quickly a comparatively small amount of felt cleaned up the HF garbage coming through the ports. (I measured at least a 20dB improvement at 1kHz)

Too much and it may start to sound dead, and the higher you cross (for me traditionally between 600 - 800Hz) the bigger the problem.

Never did the curtain as I was not sure how to secure it and was afraid it might move around at high SPL (I have full Onkens and they go down to 30Hz and play very loud.)

Ordered a 3' x 12' roll from the first link. That should be plenty for both cabinets. I'm with you in that in my experience its very easy to overdamp.

Going to try just the original Hiraga recipe and then expirement with adding the curtain to see if it sounds better with or without it.

Thanks so much for the help!

Would OC 703 work as a substitute? Assuming you’d need to cover in lighter felt and still somehow duplicate the felt curtain...

Not with matching thickness, the 1" felt was much denser than the 703 in a 'blow' test, so used it in smaller cabs where more damping density was required.

Didn't realize these had a 'curtain'! When wanting a suspended 'curtain', I used old quilts and weighted the bottom as required.

GM

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
@ Sebastien,

Hi,

Would like to know what you're after with this new design vs the "petite onken" please ? In order to understand between all the Onken 's variations in size and tunnings - some double the walls, putt sand in it like Pano if my memory is still working :)rolleyes:... not sure it works yet!)

What are the subjectives improvents you wish starting from the cabinet you know for a long time. May you please describe it to us ? For instance:

lower frequency by changing the driver model
more chest sound
more drums impacts (circa 60-200 hz range)
more subjective speed by squaring the Sd with two drivers
And so on

Indeed you gave a very important inputt with the surface of your listening room (35 square meters). My very limited experience with Onken as the W with two 15" is often a bigger listening distance is involved according the rooms... not only for the percieved soundstage but also for the bass feeling. Ok you can tune by stuffing the ports which is a great advantage of Onken's designs but is it sufisant to marry a bigger cabinet in your actual room - ok we see already this questioning in many threads- I apologize if yo find it of topic, I'm not questionning your wish but really want to understand the go & no-go of such oversizing decisions.

A member, 5th Elements, said to me few days ago the speed of the cone has more to see with the frequency waves it can play, when the spl drops at the end my understanding so is the speed is not following upside this dropping (it is not only beam more or just reduce its spl), I asked initialy about the inductance of the driver and speed behavior for the chest factor. Onken historically being voicing relativly high most of the time : 600 hz to 1000 hz often (life-energy- of music is said to be mainly till 800 hz) : how doubling the Sd affect the upper bass and mid range of the bigger Onkens : just less HD due to the dopler effect, but what about the amp then ??

What if one keep a little Onken for any reasons but want to tune it according his improvment sounding whishlist ? Can we shape the spl curve in some frequency windows by mechanicly playing more with the stuffing or play with the Vb ? change the -F3 and resonance frequency, phase angle shape or add little distributed subs to manage the first or the first half octave allowing less break ups of the onken driver cone with a upper -F3 (for instance 55 hz or 60 hz) ? I'm starting from the principle you can not play with th elistening position as you talked about waf & living room?

we are all against Waf Onken and then you ask some, despite 4pi patern of bass and upper frequency and lateral fireing cabinet designs like the Kef Blade... many people say they still hear the diference of front or side fireing as low as 100 hz (hence the idea of front + back fireing cabinet - what if the port were behind or towards the base as Hiraga made with his modern 604 design ??

Anyway, sorry if too much off topic and too large thinking related to your question :).... cheers.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.