Best midrange to pair with Beyma TPL-150

Hi
What's about one 10 inch PHL3020 or one new 10 inch B&C 10mbx64 to match at 1600-1800 Hz with the TPL150h combined with a subwoofer? Are there any 10 inch solo recommendation for the TPL150H xo at 90-110 and 1600-1800 Hz?

Karim

FWIW, Achenbach in Germany recomends PHL 8" with TPL150H. He also makes a speaker, the Son, based on MTM with PHL 8", and the Son XL with PHL 10".

He is very enthusiastic about the PHL and TPL pairing, even though he carries many other brands.

I got my speakers from Dieter Achenbach, but I've done it active to have more opportunities. Now I have to size down the speakers so I'm thinking in using a 10 inch driver. Dieters is matching the TPL150h also with the PHL3020 and they sound great. But in looking for alternatives I saw the B&C 10bmx64 with a high sensitivity and I was asking myself if this would be maybe a better match between 80- 1800 Hz.
I contacted B&C and got this answer:
Angular dispersion is a function of frequency and radiation surface.
At 1600 Hz the 10MBX64 has a coverage angle of about 90° (at – 6 dB), which becomes 80° at 1800 Hz.
So seems to match good or?

A 5.5 Scanspeak revelator is text book ideal side for a midrange driver mid bass low bass a different Xover requirement.

I have it ten years ago. If you compare even to 92db decent (not the best) transducers, you 'll be very, very surprise. It will not come even close in most cases. Same result with Dynaudio, Focal, Peerless and other "high end" low sensitivity midrange (and other range as well) drivers.

Last edited:
Depends on the low crossover slope. High order will work but 2nd order sounds smoother at the xo point. Your TPL is near flat at 1800 to 90 degrees horizontal so there's some discontinuity in the intended directivity. Remember, constant is the reference and not the angle. Constant combined with a smooth off axis response always produces the better power response to my ears. I still say 6-8" but that's more a matter of design theory than subjective taste. I know the larger midwoofers produce more visceral bass slam in the the 100-200hz area so I get away with the smaller mids by anchoring my systems with 15" woofers close to the floor and crossed 250hz to reduce floor bounce and eliminate straining the fine upper midrange details.

So when I'm back home I will try just to use one 8 inch, crossed at 110hz. Higher it's not possible because I'm going for a DBA so I need low xo to the Subs! You think one 8 inch will be enough for the TPL150 with active xo?

I have the TPL-150's with PHL 1130 6.5" mid crossed at 2K5 and there is still a ton of headroom in the TPL's so I would say 2x8" if you need it really loud but driver spacing might be an issue especially if you're using the TPL-150H as it's quite big!

I got my speakers from Dieter Achenbach, but I've done it active to have more opportunities. Now I have to size down the speakers so I'm thinking in using a 10 inch driver. Dieters is matching the TPL150h also with the PHL3020 and they sound great. But in looking for alternatives I saw the B&C 10bmx64 with a high sensitivity and I was asking myself if this would be maybe a better match between 80- 1800 Hz.
I contacted B&C and got this answer:
Angular dispersion is a function of frequency and radiation surface.
At 1600 Hz the 10MBX64 has a coverage angle of about 90° (at – 6 dB), which becomes 80° at 1800 Hz.
So seems to match good or?

Karimos,

Where do you feel Achenbach's combination with PHL3020 fall short? Why are you looking for alternatives?

It seems your goals and similar to mine: active system, with TPL-150H on top, and subwoofers. I'm going with a 4-way, though, so I'm not needing the driver to cover 110 to 1800Hz. I looked into many 15 to 10" midbass woofers and opted for 2 x 10" Beyma 10G40 in sealed boxes for 80 to somewhere in the 300 to 600Hz range, depending on what the midrange can do.
My goal is to cross the TPL to the midrange at 2000Hz preferably. At that frequency, 10" is off more than at 1800Hz. Yet I looked around and didn't find options that interested me. I'm also looking for high sensitivity because I want to drive this with a SET. Angeloitacare swears by his combination of TPL with Beyma 12p80nd, but he xo at 1600Hz I believe. Achenbach recommended a PHL 8" midrange for my application. Sensitivity was a little low for my needs and I'm experimenting with a 5" cone driving a midrange horn.

Please note I'm not as experienced as other users here, so take my comments with that in mind. Your B&C 10MBX64 look good for covering a wide range. A good tradeoff. As a midbass woofer, though, it's motor strength is not stellar, nor its Mms/Bl, suggesting suboptimal bass control. Especially if you want to go to 110Hz.
As a midrange, its Le of 0.44mH is rather high, and its 10" size impose constraints on dispersion.

How about going 4-way? :D
If you are already active, adding a midbass amp shouldn't be too expensive.

Very interested in learning about your TPL + PHL experience!

Cheers

I have the TPL-150's with PHL 1130 6.5" mid crossed at 2K5 and there is still a ton of headroom in the TPL's so I would say 2x8" if you need it really loud but driver spacing might be an issue especially if you're using the TPL-150H as it's quite big!

I'm interested! Please tell more!

What's the range you use the PHL 1130? 2KHz to what? What's below it?

What did you compare the 1130 to before deciding?

I was considering a PHL 2530 from 400 to 2000 Hz, but the lack of published data, lack of user reports, and difficulty in sourcing put me off a bit.

Efficiency vs low Q is quite a trade off where midbass and dedicated mids are concerned.
Why the need to get to 110hz?........that's a bit of a stretch for any driver expcted to play as Clean as the TPL. With excursion comes the inevitable distortion products that can't be detected in a sine wave sweep or CSD.......imagine an extended female voice on a recording with lower register staccato chello, .......that's an issue IMO.

Does anybody know which 8" midrange driver Legacy is using in their Aeris speakers?

"a titanium encrusted 8” midrange with an enormous motor structure imported from Italy... accordion surround.... the smoothest, high efficiency 8” midrange built to date. I have yet to find a driver to challenge it. This silky 8” mid has a range of 7 octaves with nary a wrinkle in the response, yet a sensitivity of 98 dB"

- Bill Dudleston, Chief Designer, Legacy Audio

http://www.stereomojo.com/Legacy Aeris Speaker Review/images/AERIS-HEADER.png
Looks like B&C 8PE21 to me, and the 98dB/W spec would match also.

Is there a consensus on how low the TPL-150H can be crossed? Especially if using low wattage valve amplification, say 8watts and under etc? There have been a few AE 10''s and 12''s done with this AMT to much success some have reported. Some in recording studios and such, home theater etc ..

I've seen projects crossing them as low as 900Hz but personally I didn't care for them crossed any lower than 2k but then I'm driving them with a lot more than 8 watts.
Removing the back cover and replacing it with a damped chamber decreases distortion quite a lot..

Joined 2008
Paid Member
6-8, but I use an 8

Depends on the low crossover slope. High order will work but 2nd order sounds smoother at the xo point. Your TPL is near flat at 1800 to 90 degrees horizontal so there's some discontinuity in the intended directivity. Remember, constant is the reference and not the angle. Constant combined with a smooth off axis response always produces the better power response to my ears. I still say 6-8" but that's more a matter of design theory than subjective taste. I know the larger midwoofers produce more visceral bass slam in the the 100-200hz area so I get away with the smaller mids by anchoring my systems with 15" woofers close to the floor and crossed 250hz to reduce floor bounce and eliminate straining the fine upper midrange details.

Thumbs up