Best budget compression driver May 2020? Suggestions, please.

The Eminence looks good. I will have a look at the ND-350.

1hiep0: Most probably yes, unless my DIY CNC router will be finished before I start this project:)[/QUOTE

Regarding the Eminence...
I suggest waiting for independent test results where we can see frequency response graphs that aren’t smoothed. It appears as though Eminence has used 1/3octave smoothing which completely erases dips and peaks caused by resonances. It might sound good or it might not. There’s no way to tell from the published data.
Test Bench: Eminence N314X TeXtreme Compression Driver | audioXpress

It looks like there is serious breakup starting at 7kHz. That's less than 3 octaves of usable bandwidth (if using for hifi). The literature says "Audiophiles prepare yourself for goosebumps". It's not often you see that kind of marketing hype in a compression driver specification sheet.

Attachments

• Eminence N314X TeXtreme Compression Driver.PNG
    Eminence N314X TeXtreme Compression Driver.PNG
    951.6 KB · Views: 429
The break up mode of the TeXtreme diaphragm depends on the the weave.
Thus the claimed "extended response" is indeed nothing more than a series of controlled resonances that may appeal to some audiophiles, but true to the original signal it ain't.

Eminence used to offer decent value for money, but nowadays their drivers are often more expensive than similar products of high-end brands, at least on this side of the pond.
For example, the excellent 18Sound ND3SN costs about the same as the N314X-8.

Attachments

• 18Sound ND3SN.png
    18Sound ND3SN.png
    164 KB · Views: 378
  • Eminence N314-X.png
    Eminence N314-X.png
    177.9 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:
A cheap and good one:
Sica CD78.26/245, 8 ohm.

That's is a nice little driver and used in some HK-Audio tops.
The Acetate-film diaphragm is rather special. It sounds clear like metal, but never harsh. Best of all: it's cheaper than a dome tweeter (< €30).

Polyester, Polymer and Polyimide and other monomer-based materials are mostly used for smaller diaphragms and annular coax-drivers.

The entry level Neodymium RCF is another interesting 1" driver.
Its higher priced brother (ND350) - with Polyester dia - doesn't work below 1500 Hz, unless you force it.
The RCF ND340 with Polyimide diaphragm delivers about 3dB more output at 1000 Hz and therefore appears to be better suited to low crossover points.

Attachments

• diaphragm-rcf-nd340.jpg
    diaphragm-rcf-nd340.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 327
  • RCF_ND340_(Frequency_response_+_Impedance).png
    RCF_ND340_(Frequency_response_+_Impedance).png
    105.9 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
The CD78.26/245TW in combination with Sica's elliptical horn and 2, or 4x 6.5H1.5CP woofers are ingredients for a small MTM or 2.5 MMTMM (XO ≥ 1.8 KHz) that goes down to 30-35Hz in a mid-sized room.

Attachments

• Z004100.png
    Z004100.png
    456.6 KB · Views: 407
  • Q07020A.jpg
    Q07020A.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 426
  • Z009442.png
    Z009442.png
    372.5 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:
recently acquired a pair of cdx1747 with their H1-9040P horns, below a few gated measurements I've made (earthworks m30 mic) impedance with horn installed

also each driver tracks one another very closely.

Attachments

• 1747artzma.png
    1747artzma.png
    46.8 KB · Views: 289
  • 1747zma.png
    1747zma.png
    75.7 KB · Views: 299
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Still not decided which unit to buy, but I tend to prefer either one of the Sica drivers or RCF ND340, since the preferences for the driver are changed slightly. It will be used either as originally intended (above ca 2 - 3 kHz, in a small horn, most probably ES series) in the large 4 way stack or on the 260 (or maybe even 360) mm waveguide from the ATH thread with cardioid mid (8" - 10") for the "bedroom" system. I kind of feel these two applications are a bit in contradiction, so I may actually need two pairs of new drivers. I could use what I have, but I have not bought any new loudspeakers in a long time already:)

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Just an update, I bought a pair of Sica CD83.26 drivers for tweeter duties and they sound better to my ear than my CD500 and CP385Nd drivers. Not a night and day, but more comfortable to listen to. And for the (planned) Synergy horn, I finally got Beyma CP755Nd drivers, which were the best to my ear I have heard so far (for home applications).

Reactions: 1 user

Attachments

• cd.mdat
    5.7 MB · Views: 81
Reactions: 1 users
Pelanj, I did a quick measurement of several CDs with the same horn awhile back that included a couple budget one. It was measured about 12" from the horn surface I didn't know exactly. FWIW here's the data.
The PRV audio 1200 Hz "hole" is very odd!
Found it interesting that the 600Hz level was identical, and 600Hz to 1kHz response within 2 dB, while level above varied by as much as 6dB.
1hiep0 DH812 horn:driver 12%22 tests .png

At 12", a little position difference can make a fairly large frequency HF response change with an exponential horn, how similar was the mic position to the horn center axis for the tests?

Thanks,
Art