Best budget compression driver May 2020? Suggestions, please.

THIS tweeters on THIS waveguide = very good combination. Usually i wouldn't recommend something from buyout but now with 3D printers it doesn't have to be available all the time. We just need one piece to replicate. Here are my measurements on axis and 45 degrees off axis 1m distance.

45.png

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Titanium with polymer surround sounds good to me. I think the same is in the 12XA30, which is my favorite. Beyma makes these with 2" and 1.4" exit. They use the same diaphragm. Would there be a considerable difference between those two? The 2" version is for sale locally.

The 1480A - I found a pair with the diaphragm replaced for the titanium ones. Are the Alu better?

I had the smaller 1" NSD1095N (Nitride coated Titanium though) and never thought they were harsh. They didn't measure as well as the datasheet made them look though, and I had use two notch filters to achieve a frequency response that I was happy with. I noticed Troels G used them in his big 18" 4-way and had the same roll-off of the high frequencies.

I've also been looking at the nice measurements of the Rapters lately, thinking about using the same aluminium compression driver and horn, but in a 15" 3-way.