• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Best 300B SE OPT?

Best Transformers for SE300B etc , Tango was always up there with the best

With the demise of the Original TANGO transformer company, Wavac bought the name and produce a very limited range for themselves.
ISO a group of former employees formed a small company to make a very limited range on order a wait for each transformer ex Japan basis with a few distributors.
Then HATT Audiolab reverse engineered most of the original range of TANGO as drop in replacements using Orient steel from Japan with 2.5K 3.5K 5K -4.8,16 ohm options for 300B 2A3 etc - it is a very extensive range .
They have their own factory and are well followed by the local Japanese DIY ers .
The price is also cheaper than ISO Tango

Many transformers are actually wound by General Transformers of Japan for OEM distribution to retailer labels with plenty of Choice for the SE300B .
Sorry this does not follow the last thread exactly but worth noting when looking for the best load point of 5K for the SE300B

Hatt Audio Labo

Last edited:
Hi all, lot's of info in this thread. Need help making a final decision:
For 300B amp, operating point: 400V, 80-85mA and 5K, my top choices are:
1) Monolith Magentics S-11
2) Hashimoto HC-20-7U
3) ElectraPrint

MM and Hashimoto both are around the same price, Electra-Print slightly cheaper.

Hi all, lot's of info in this thread. Need help making a final decision:
For 300B amp, operating point: 400V, 80-85mA and 5K, my top choices are:
1) Monolith Magentics S-11
2) Hashimoto HC-20-7U
3) ElectraPrint

MM and Hashimoto both are around the same price, Electra-Print slightly cheaper.

Do add Onetics to your list. Bud Purvine is still producing them as far as I know, and there is a very nice gent who has inventory available as well. Please PM me for his contact info. The Onetics OPTs are very well made and sound great. I love my Level 1, and would think the Level 2 and 3 are even better.

Do add Onetics to your list. Bud Purvine is still producing them as far as I know, and there is a very nice gent who has inventory available as well. Please PM me for his contact info. The Onetics OPTs are very well made and sound great. I love my Level 1, and would think the Level 2 and 3 are even better.

Is Bud still in business? My 2 favourite OPTs for 300b are his Level 1 3.5K and the 3.5K OPTs he made for Wright Sound for their 2a3 amp. I even prefer those, even though Bud called them his "commercial" OPTs. Really sweet sound. I prefer these two to my pair of 3.5K Amorphous OPTs and my Lundahl LL1682/50mA pair, though I like all four in different ways.

Is Bud still in business? My 2 favourite OPTs for 300b are his Level 1 3.5K and the 3.5K OPTs he made for Wright Sound for their 2a3 amp. I even prefer those, even though Bud called them his "commercial" OPTs. Really sweet sound. I prefer these two to my pair of 3.5K Amorphous OPTs and my Lundahl LL1682/50mA pair, though I like all four in different ways.

andyjevans: It’s been a while
Since I had direct contact with Bud, who is very nice and very helpful, but my understanding on my last contact was that he was still producing on a small scale. Ivan still has inventory as far as I know. I feel like Bud’s OPTs should have more hype around them based on their quality. He really is a bit of a guru. Having had a pair of his OPTs for some time, and them being reasonably priced, the lack of visibility on them is a bit baffling.

I chatted with Bud about 2 years ago and back then he said he wasn't producing anymore.
Ivar (tubo alias here I believe) liquidated the remaining stock a while ago in the "Swap Meet" forum. I grabbed a pair of the 2A3 Level-1, which I used a bit wastefully on an SE EL84 amp.

I've always wanted to try Hashimoto but I feel like at their current prices they are a bit over-priced...
nicoch58 thanks for the MM recommendation.

I chatted with Bud about 2 years ago and back then he said he wasn't producing anymore.
Ivar (tubo alias here I believe) liquidated the remaining stock a while ago in the "Swap Meet" forum. I grabbed a pair of the 2A3 Level-1, which I used a bit wastefully on an SE EL84 amp.

I've always wanted to try Hashimoto but I feel like at their current prices they are a bit over-priced...
nicoch58 thanks for the MM recommendation.

Thanks for the update. I must say that it’s a shame that Onetics is done. There is some demand for OPTs, but I guess everyone ends up pursuing the same old same olds. Bud really is a great guy with great OPTs. I’m glad I got a pair while I still could.

5k is too big, 4k with no more that 150ohm primary resistence , 0.32mm wire at less.
I have a Monolith Magnetic Amorphous core sound very good, and frequency range are good too.
With 5k move little current, 300b with 3.5k has less than 5% thd At 8w is too low, 4k or 3.8k enough.

5k is too big, 4k with no more that 150ohm primary resistence , 0.32mm wire at less.
I have a Monolith Magnetic Amorphous core sound very good, and frequency range are good too.
With 5k move little current, 300b with 3.5k has less than 5% thd At 8w is too low, 4k or 3.8k enough.

It depends on what you are looking for. I prioritize lower distortion over higher watts because I don’t need much output power with my speakers. If you need all the watts possible, it makes sense to use a lower primary impedance if it’s going to get you closer to what you need. The data available for the 300B is comprehensive, and includes tables of operating points at different primary impedances and output and distortion figures. You can decide for yourself what you prefer.

Reactions: 1 user
speaker are not 8ohm more like 6 ... the reflect load is lower ,damping factor is more important then Tdh you can use more current and B+ were is the problem ?
I suggest eml 300Bxls you can put more then 10w ,take look at working point...
I preferred SIfe for more solid bass

I know, but with out current maybe loose speed, wired the primary with big wire, resistance and low current died the attack

Other OPT alternative is 50AE

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/members/50ae.html

He make and sell very good OPT with paper oil as dielectric, for me the best dielectric as sound. I make to myself OPT but do not sell. I make same 300b and with 4.2k was enough to have fantastic sound with low THD. 3rd Harmonic very low.

that's nice you diy opt, btw my 5k have primary of 70ohm and 33H

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-08 at 16-35-59 300B-XLS tube data sheet Emission Labs Data Sheet.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-08 at 16-35-59 300B-XLS tube data sheet Emission Labs Data Sheet.png
    90.4 KB · Views: 417
I've gone back to using a 300b output stage after years of PSE 4P1L. Currently using a LL1682/50mA which is 5.5K into 5 Ohms. I must say it sounds very nice. I'm running it at around 300v and 50mA. I've read several times about preferring a 5K OPT for the 300b, and I can see why. I don't need the 300b to run flat out and maybe that helps.

Andy, I've got a pair of LL1663/50mA, 5K:8 ohms. It was intended for an SE EL84 project but I ended up using Transcendar for that amp.

I've got a Tubelab SE PCB and was thinking of using the 1663/50mA for either a 300B or 2A3.
300B would be used at the 350V/50mA/5K for about 6 watts. Is this a good idea or should I try 2A3?

If a 300B can work decently in this operating point, I would prefer it as it would be more power, I hae a pair of 300B's and its filament requirement is easier.

Attachments

• WE-300B.PNG
    WE-300B.PNG
    65.9 KB · Views: 372
Andy, I've got a pair of LL1663/50mA, 5K:8 ohms. If a 300B can work decently in this operating point, I would prefer it as it would be more power, I have a pair of 300B's and its filament requirement is easier.

I can give you some information about how I'm using my 300b amps, including a very similar one with LL1682/50mA outputs. I'll PM you. Andy

Andy, I've got a pair of LL1663/50mA, 5K:8 ohms. It was intended for an SE EL84 project but I ended up using Transcendar for that amp.

I've got a Tubelab SE PCB and was thinking of using the 1663/50mA for either a 300B or 2A3.
300B would be used at the 350V/50mA/5K for about 6 watts. Is this a good idea or should I try 2A3?

If a 300B can work decently in this operating point, I would prefer it as it would be more power, I hae a pair of 300B's and its filament requirement is easier.

I'm not Andy, but Dear "What Do We Call You?", itsikhefez doesn't sound like an easy handle,

I'd say better get with the program and just do it!

Martin Seddon (Azura Horn), in OZ, suggested exactly this OP from the 300B Tables for a DC coupled Monkey Amp 6, 7, 8 years ago on the JoeList. That one is in my queue and requires a 200H choke which I've since sourced.

They're not highlighted in the table, but do note the H2 and H3 levels.

I'm sure Andy would say "EXPERIMENT!"

Very Best,

Robert

itsikhefitz,

You picked the operating conditions that bring the lowest distortion and highest primary impedance on that whole chart.

A clean 6.2 Watts is very good, and should be better than a little more power that has a lot higher distortion.
And the damping factor of your selected operating condition is the best.

Have fun building, and have fun listening.

Last edited: