Best 2n3055 amplifier

Edwin%2040W.png
Wiederhold М. Neuartige Konzeption für einen Hi-Fi - Leistungsverstärker
Radio Fernsehen Elektronik, 1977, No14, S. 459-462, 467
Стр. 61 журнала <<Радио>> № 4 за 1978 год
Class B w/o crossover distortion (1975)

Last edited:
That one doesn’t exactly “minimize DC offset at the output”. You would need a separate bootstrap capacitor to keep the VAS current out of the speaker. Easy mod if you wanted to do that.

Cap coupled speaker is probably a good idea when using 3055’s of unknown origin above their 60V rating. If they blow you just lose a couple of expendable 3055’s (and a Cheap BD139/140 pair) and not the speaker. A DC servo won’t be able to correct that situation.

That one doesn’t exactly “minimize DC offset at the output”. You would need a separate bootstrap capacitor to keep the VAS current out of the speaker. Easy mod if you wanted to do that.

Cap coupled speaker is probably a good idea when using 3055’s of unknown origin above their 60V rating. If they blow you just lose a couple of expendable 3055’s (and a Cheap BD139/140 pair) and not the speaker. A DC servo won’t be able to correct that situation.

I have stronger version of 3055 - KD503 made by Czechoslovakian Tesla

Hello, I'm looking for the best 2n3055 amplifier project. I have a lot of this transistors so i want to use them. The project should be modern and the amp should have good parameters. Thanks!

This is an amp that I actually designed with Toshiba Power Transistors, but the circuit works also good with 2N3055.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto vom 2020-09-18 16-34-54.png
    Bildschirmfoto vom 2020-09-18 16-34-54.png
    113.5 KB · Views: 709
  • Bildschirmfoto vom 2020-09-18 16-36-44.png
    Bildschirmfoto vom 2020-09-18 16-36-44.png
    145.9 KB · Views: 642
How thermal tracking is done? Which transistor is doing it?
I have build a similar circuit with 2SC5200 and 2SA1943. In class AB/C it worked already, but in class AB it begins to oscillate.
In class AB/C, thermal tracking also worked fine. The power transistors are switching on when the driver transistors go over 24mA.
If you look at a 20kHz signal, you can see small transfer distortions, but these are in the range of a few hundred kHz with a tiny amplitude. Not even bats can hear that;)

This would actually be a case for current dump, but my previous experience with current dump has been rather disappointing.

I suggest the best 3055 amp would be a Blameless-type architecture but with a quasi-complementary output stage if that's what you require.
I presume your 2N3055's are modern epi devices, not RCA original (slow) ones.
Crossover distortion can be reduced if the frequency compensation is made with a local inclusive compensation which can also be given a transitional compensation, but the circuit needs a couple of minor adjustments - mainly an increased input stage degeneration and an increased VAS degeneration from Self's original.