Best 15 inch woofer for my system

Bump!
Any news?
Hi
Finished calculations of enclosure and began to build it
Vb will be 215 liters + 15L port+ 3L speaker
Tuning frequency = 37,5Hz
962x600x410mm internally ( total 236L)
I had some experiments with calculating best possible port ( my software allows me to calculate speed of air movement in port and Reynolds number)
Port will be 962mm wide with three 19mm septums, so basically 905mm
Height will be 55mm and depth - 250mm
This calculations are different than in classic programs because if one of port walls is wall of enclosure, you will get lower tuning frequency and other programs doesn’t take it into account
p.s. sorry for bad English, it is hard to explain this for me
P.s.2 i can show you screenshots of my calculations in this program but it is only on russian language:(

This calculations are different than in classic programs because if one of port walls is wall of enclosure, you will get lower tuning frequency and other programs doesn’t take it into account

Hi!

Personally, I like this kind of port design you wrote, actually i'm using it at the moment. I used the Visaton's Boxsim software for the port calculations, which gave quite accurate results. However, I think it is worth considering that if the port exit is near a larger surface (such as a floor), it will pushes the tuning even lower (which can be advantage), this is my experience.

Thanks for the update! I hope something is coming out soon!

Last edited:
I have a comparison faital 15PR400 with Altec 416-8B, if anyone is interested. I just made comparison today.
The most obvious visual difference: faital has much more rigid suspension than altec. Faital doesn't reach as low as the Altec, I mean not even close! However, faital are able to integrate with the ~800Hz cutoff horns (I am using an altec 511 horn) much better and I am getting alot of more midrange detail and texture. I think the inductance on the faital is low, probably the lowest for 15inch driver out there and that helps. All in all, I am missing the lows more than the mids and I will soon switch back to the Altecs. The idea of needing a subwoofer after 15 woofers is not acceptable.
If anyone knows of any driver among the el-cheapos (~$700 or less) italian, german or british drivers out there that can do what the Altec or TAD can do I would be very interested to hear about it.
BTW I am using 5W or 10w amp that can get to a injury-level high volume with either driver.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a comparison faital 15PR400 with Altec 416-8B, if anyone is interested. I just made comparison today.
The most obvious visual difference: faital has much more rigid suspension than altec. Faital doesn't reach as low as the Altec, I mean not even close! However, faital are able to integrate with the ~800Hz cutoff horns (I am using an altec 511 horn) much better and I am getting alot of more midrange detail and texture. I think the inductance on the faital is low, probably the lowest for 15inch driver out there and that helps. All in all, I am missing the lows more than the mids and I will soon switch back to the Altecs. The idea of needing a subwoofer after 15 woofers is not acceptable.
If anyone knows of any driver among the el-cheapos (~$700 or less) italian, german or british drivers out there that can do what the Altec or TAD can do I would be very interested to hear about it.
BTW I am using 5W or 10w amp that can get to a injury-level high volume with either driver.
Could you be more specific regarding the comparison you made? Reason I ask is when simulating both in WIsd I found they were pretty much equal in extension. Same enclosure volume, tuning, same response (exact as a matter of fact). Used altec's info and a 3rd party measured info for the faital.

Not to sound like a one parameter person but, I've found higher Vas has an advantage for low level listening woofers. YMMV.

The old JBL 2235H was a good one and the AE TD15H ,X and S model well. I use the 15S.

I thought SICA had a good 15 but don't remember the model. SB acoustics had a newer decent looking 15 too.

Reactions: 1 user
Not to sound like a one parameter person but, I've found higher Vas has an advantage for low level listening woofers. YMMV.

The old JBL 2235H was a good one and the AE TD15H ,X and S model well. I use the 15S.

I thought SICA had a good 15 but don't remember the model. SB acoustics had a newer decent looking 15 too.

Yes! I agree. I am just rediscovering what engineers at Altec and JBL have known since forever. The Vas and suspension compliance as key parameters for the conditions you mention: low power amp, high efficiency audiophile home applications. I wonder why big italian pro audio companies have not had the time or inclination to recreate such driver; they should have the know-how and patents should long since have expired. B&C, RCF, Faital,18sound make at least 3 to 5 different 15inch drivers each, they cannot be all sales champs.;)

Last edited:
Yes! I agree. I am just rediscovering what engineers at Altec and JBL have known since forever. The Vas and suspension compliance as key parameters for the conditions you mention: low power amp, high efficiency audiophile home applications. I wonder why big italian pro audio companies have not had the time or inclination to recreate such driver; they should have the know-how and patents should long since have expired. B&C, RCF, Faital,18sound make at least 3 to 5 different 15inch drivers each, they cannot be all sales champs.;)
Today's companies are building for prosound conditions where they want smaller boxes and high output. At 300-1000 watts current designs work well. so, they design for lower Vas, higher Fs and Qts.