Best 15 inch woofer for my system

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Numerous enclosures. What I like best about them is that they hold up very well up to 1 kHz, making them excellent for 2 way designs. Designed by legendary Ed Meyer of JBL fame. I am informed by other legend Greg Timbers that the secret was the processing of the cone fabric, not duplicated elsewhere.

:snail:

Reactions: 1 users
Here are super quick findings in the same ~300L reflex cabinet.
This needs more study and experimentation but the TAD 1601a is keeper. Basically this TAD sounds like the new and improved Altec 416.
Still, the Altec 416 may go just a little lower in Hz but everything else seems slightly better with the TAD. Maybe the Altec ALNICO is a little deflated being 50yo but the low midrange seems richer and fuller and the integration with the TAD 2002 and altec 511 horn cut at 900 Hz just works. I was in a hurry and I played only briefly with some room correction settings. I am actually liking correction OFF now, but I need to re-measure everything to be sure, with the Altecs room correction is a must.

As anyone tried the Great Plains 416? I am curious to know how a brand new fully charged driver sounds.

Reactions: 1 user
Numerous enclosures. What I like best about them is that they hold up very well up to 1 kHz, making them excellent for 2 way designs. Designed by legendary Ed Meyer of JBL fame. I am informed by other legend Greg Timbers that the secret was the processing of the cone fabric, not duplicated elsewhere.

:snail:
which enclosure did you like best? I was going to build a 1/2 of a Pioneer/TAD 2401 enclosure next but maybe something better can be done.