Based on sonics... which do you prefer ?

Based on sonics which do you prefer.

• Ruby

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Opal

Votes: 19 57.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
IMO, the 19 kHz is of no importance at all. It doesn't make it down the string between my two tin cans. Maybe if I stretch the string tighter?

Unfortunately, if you want a really good listening panel you have to exclude anybody above the age of about 40, because their hearing isn't what it used to be. If you want people with a lot of experience, electronic or musical, you have to exclude anybody below the age of 40. Though I hear plenty of differences, and have a preference, I trust my measurements far more than my hearing.

What the heck is that noise in the files? My worst LP transfers get cleaned up better than that. OTOH, these files seem to have more life or emotion than the earlier test, where I thought all the files were flat in some way.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Firstly. thanks to fas42 for the honest comments on how it sounded (and when I listen I think I prefer Ruby too which shows just how much a part subjectivity plays in what we actually like).... however, are you all ready this.... :D

Ruby was recorded on an original but mint and pristine Sony TCK5 Dolby B cassette deck (from around 1978). Its all discrete and electrically all original. 35 year old caps and all.

Opal was a Sony CPD 790, again unmodified.

Surprised ? or not ?

Attachments

• DSCN0391 (1024x504).jpg
    DSCN0391 (1024x504).jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCN0393 (1024x489).jpg
    DSCN0393 (1024x489).jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 130
Firstly. thanks to fas42 for the honest comments on how it sounded (and when I listen I think I prefer Ruby too which shows just how much a part subjectivity plays in what we actually like).... however, are you all ready this.... :D

Ruby was recorded on an original but mint and pristine Sony TCK5 Dolby B cassette deck (from around 1978). Its all discrete and electrically all original. 35 year old caps and all.

Opal was a Sony CPD 790, again unmodified.

Surprised ? or not ?

I spent my whole childhood listening to tape and it was much better than that. What went wrong?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.