Based on sonics... which do you prefer ?

Based on sonics which do you prefer.

• Ruby

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Opal

Votes: 19 57.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You said you heard nothing from orange and kiwi samples I posted.

I said I didn't hear sound. What I meant was I didn't hear a song. I was expecting it was Mooly's file modified.

When I double clicked the file, my player was playing ruby in loop, with very small volume, barely listenable, because people were seriously working around the computer which is not mine.

Not to mention problems I encountered with the downloaded files. I have at least 3 duplicates for each files because some files refuse to continue after 1 minute, 2 minute or even several seconds.

I didn't intend to listen the files for analysis in that computer. I just need the computer to download the files and bring it home. I just arrived home and listened and Mooly released it :(

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Neither of your samples actually sound like a tape recorder at all. Not even remotely. They are so far off, there's no way I would have guessed.

Did you play a sound from your sound card, record it to tape then play it back and record it back with your sound card?

The set up was CDP790 into the soundcard for Opal.
Ruby was the CDP790 direct into the TCK5 and recorded. This recording was then played back and fed into the sound card to produce Ruby.

I tried to match levels as best as I could by recording a -18 db tone onto tape first and then playing it back and measuring on a scope the level. The output of the CPD790 was then matched to that level but of course the response of tape is all over the place and so the "energy" in any given frequency band will be different on a real music recording compared to the original.

It was a purely subjective test (or intended to be)

All I can say is thanks to everyone that listened :)

I said I didn't hear sound. What I meant was I didn't hear a song. I was expecting it was Mooly's file modified.

I double clicked the file, my player was playing ruby in loop, with very small volume, barely listenable, because people were seriously working around the computer which is not mine.
(

OK, then I am sorry. It was a big misunderstanding. :D

"Based on sonics, which do you prefer?" was the challenge. Simple for a self-declared GEB!?

No need to analyse, visualise or compare.

Instead we get the usual excuses.

These tests may be "fun", but unless there is great care in preparation, rigorous protocol and ample time without keep moving the goalposts there is no value to the results.

No wonder I am a skeptic ;)

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Now the hiss in ruby makes sense, should have thought about it, since I did listen to quite a lot of tapes in the past.

Wish the "tape" version was from an original tape, not recorded on tape from the CD. Then we'd be comparing tape vs cd output.

These tests may be "fun", but unless there is great care in preparation, rigorous protocol and ample time without keep moving the goalposts there is no value to the results.
No wonder I am a skeptic ;)

Are you sure that once a sophisticated protocol has been carried out by SY and kgrlee, you can take value from the result? I doubt it. It is good that SY that will provide the protocol because he is the most sceptical of all.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
No. Both would be A/D digitized with soundcard :D. And it makes a big difference from original analog sound.

I agree that listening directly to the tape or CD would be very different. But what I proposed would still be a step closer to that than the current version. It would be just

TAPE DECK -> A/D OF SOUND CARD

whereas now it is

CD -> D/A -> TAPE DECK PREAMP -> A/D OF SOUND CARD

BTW, I'm not criticizing, just stating a preference.

How do you know?

I was trying to think when I last heard tape and guess what? Only 5 years ago I spent a month renovating my kitchen to a Joan Armatrading tape playing on a radio cassette alarm clock. It's really not that much worse than CD quality apart from the slight hiss and a bit of wow.

Moolys tape players are a bit older but I find it hard to believe that they were really that bad.

As in the previous fruity op amps, I think this test has been spoiled by some kind of flaw in the methodology.

I was also very concerned about playing HF noise into my ears as I know this can be damaging.

Thanks to Mooly though for making the attempt to entertain us.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.