Babelfish XA252 / Babelfish XA252 SIT / Babelfish XA252 SET

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Which amp?

The Sissy SIT really blew my mind when I hooked it up the Maggie 1.7 speakers. I mean, it lacked peak loudness but it was extremely good sounding. That speaks greatly about the amp.

Over at 6moons, the reviewer hooked up a FW SIT3 to his Maggie 1.7s too, and he too was amazed at the quality of the sound. He also tried the PL A25, and he too was surprised, except that amp has more current, and power, than the SIT3.

Your friend is likely having one heck of a good time. Not loud with that combo, but the Apogees are really good sounding speakers... You don't have to play Croatian Heavy Umlaut Rock at "Soviet Tanks visit Prague" loudness levels.

Why would CRCC be better than CCRC?

BTW, I usually go by TE. Those are my "informal" initials.

Reactions: 1 user
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Which amp?

it was DIY X600 at first, now I believe it's more like DIY X600.5

those damn blinds are sucking all 600W when Vladimir is in the mood

yeah, even if I'm helping him about these (original xover idiocy, mildly put) and same help for unfortunate game with neighbor's Apogee Full range, I'm not skipping any chance to mock him about his unfortunate preferences

ZM Omnitruth

The Sissy SIT really blew my mind

normal, ZM's amp

Over at 6moons,

good pics, in most cases; rest is business, ZM in polite mood right now

but the Apogees are really good sounding speakers

yeah; unfortunately utter POS, not just how they're made (actual ribbons and magnetic assembly better part of package), but also regarding evident lack of knowledge how to make proper xover

I wouldn't touch those not even if given as gift; maybe before, knowing them as black boxes, but now - no bubba

You don't have to play Croatian Heavy Umlaut Rock at "Soviet Tanks visit Prague" loudness levels.

regular US Citizen information level, of things in Old Country? :rofl:

I'm Serb (random thing - I couldn't choose where I'm going to be born, simply explainable by fact that I wasn't born so I couldn't choose ........... or I would maybe choose to be born on Alaska, or wherever ; Serbs and Croats are hating each other, at least they're taught (well) to act as that in last few centuries
now- I have enough Croat blood in my veins, still enough close cousins being Croats, still enough close buddies being Croats ......... and I'm pretty much aware that Serbs and Croats are nothing more (or less) than same piece of Drek, cut in half with Wheel of History; that said by one of most clever guys in our history; Croat btw.

anyhow - tired of that drek; moral of the story - any President of this world ( in past and present and future) is wasting own poor buggers with same ease ....... bigger the country, bigger numbers of buggers

look back - anywhere - no more than 100yrs

Why would CRCC be better than CCRC?

why not?

I usually go by TE

color me lazy; t(ony)ee was logical/no guessing

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yeah, I know that you are based in Serbia. I am aware of the history in the Balkans. As you know, I'm a rare "American" bird in that I grew up in the Old Country and Franco made damn sure we knew ALL history except a short period of Spanish history from 1930 to 1965. And not much about the relations between Catalunya and Castille since 1492. He also filtered a lot about the USSR.

But "Croatian Heavy Umlaût Röck" just sounded better, Löuder Metäl you know?... . Specially when compared with the sound of "Soviet Tanks Visiting Prague".

1707688447936.png

We were tourists, visiting Varna, Bulgaria, on August 20, 1928. We weren't quite sure if they'd let us get out.

I may be Catalan, but I still like Yello.... even though they are a Swiss band. I also like Rodrigo, etc... good music knows no boundaries.

Anyhow, I suspect those X600 (.5) just won't float my boat. I've heard those same amps with expensive B&W Nautilus 801 speakers. Again, not my cup of tea at all. Now, the XA200 versions... well, those I really like, but there is no way in the World I'm gonna spend that kind of money. Sorry Nelson...

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
The PL .5 amps are wonderful. Very sweet on the top. Lush, full forward, big bold and beautiful. I can imagine them with a large panel speaker being a neat experience. Too bad the Apogee speakers were of poor construction.

What is fun to do with the X.5 series is to swap the IRF mosfets on the VAS to Toshiba 313/2013's. It shows how one small part can sound so different. Of coarse adjusting their bias too.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
^ @Mikerodrig27

Gulp.... messing around with those consumer products?

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/650026718-pass-labs-x6005/

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649951180-pass-labs-xa2005/

I don't have much of an issue being one of the first adapters of the XA252SIT... if the design had some teething issues, it's fine with me. I can afford it and I don't expect them to have a huge resale value. I just want to love and enjoy the sound. Sure, they cost money, but it's an order of magnitude less than the PL products.

(Besides, they don't make a 38wpc FW SIT amp).

But when even a used version of an old component runs $10K... well... you'd be hard pressed to mess with it. Just like my CJ preamps only got messed with at the Factory and why I kept my Linn fully OEM. ( And even then, I bought them used! ).

You know, I'm not a cheap person. I recognize quality and I'm willing to spend money where I see value... but I am not extravagant. The price of consumer audio products is very high.. sure, I recognize we got to pay the R&D non recurring costs and the small production runs means little amortization of the up front costs... but still.... Same way.... I drive Hondas and the occasional Acura (ELS audio is superb) not 100K+ Bimmers, Benzes and Teslas like my neighbors. But, anyhow, I've gone off the rails.

I like the sound of the Babelfish Macho SIT. It sounds really good. Very good, even if I got it playing on non-Alek approved speakers with relatively tiny little woofers and low efficiency.

If I wanted to play Serbian Hëavy Umlæut Metal, I can always bring out the CJ MF2100, or better yet... use the Class D amp running the big PSBs in the home theater. They got big 12 inch woofers. Perhaps 14.... I forget.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Yeah, well... Why not? :)

Even though the XA amplifiers are considered a class A amp, they still have a rather large class B envelope. So a XA100.5 should move some serious air even with Magnepans...

Also, I believe the XA100.5 and the XA60.5 have the same number of output mosfets. The mosfets in the XA100.5 are being driven at a higher bias per mosfet. I will say that poking around Pass's amps does give you a whole new respect for the process of how they are put together. There are a lot of cool tricks pertaining to their production and serviceability.

But this is the XA252 thread. So that is probably enough talk about Mr Pass's wonderful masterpieces :) The XA252 is a killer amplifier!

Joined 2010
Paid Member
^ Yes, I think I'll wait to see if Alek comes out with a BIG SIT amp with good negative 2nd order harmonic distortion behavior. The Biggus Dickus Baddam Boomae... is how I like to think of it.

Getting a PL amp just means not retiring yet, keep working for another year and come up with $15K to buy a used pair.

Getting a Biggus Dickus Baddam Boomae ex Moesia amp is not a question of cost, it's a question of planning and opportunities...

Last edited:
Life has been distracting lately and not had much opportunity to solder. I took advantage of some available time this weekend to do some more work on the boards.

1707746106484.png

After I took this picture, I realized I had not yet populated R** - so found the 120K resistor and popped it in.

..dB

Reactions: 3 users
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Whew….love those screw terminals….but $150….Pa calls out 200v/35A….I've used onsemi & diodes Inc….400v/35A.
Also, used Saligny Power. Less voltage drop.
I’m to old to hear difference…
🍺
They look just like the pucks. I couldnt resist. Normally I just go with standard bridges. I decided this one was worth it.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Ready to install soft starts, but neglected to order parts to load it, so am going with the "Mains NTC pcb" boards, but have a couple of questions.
Looks like the well known circuit in First Watt clones, except I dont see pads for the small value capacitor and was wondering where it went, back side, or this version doesnt use one?

What do the markings N1, N2, R1, R2 mean? Many thanks,

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
(1) Now we just need meters, MORE METERS. Like one power meter for each channel, with front panel switch for load impedance (4, 6, 8, 16 )... and two more meters for power supply voltage. And red lights when the protection circuit kicks in.

We must not let the ghosts of the Yugoslavian Central Design Bureau outdo us! @Gianluca.. Time to step up! Make some industrial front panels.

(2) I think we just coined a new term.... Umlaut Metal. The Heaviest of all. Think Hoff's masterpiece.. "Surfer Chicks From East Dusseldorf"... it has the best, heaviest, bombastic bass line...
Hoff is so 2023. With it foot tapers are on the edge....slim Whitman laid on top of vanilla ice.

Ready to install soft starts, but neglected to order parts to load it, so am going with the "Mains NTC pcb" boards, but have a couple of questions.
Looks like the well known circuit in First Watt clones, except I dont see pads for the small value capacitor and was wondering where it went, back side, or this version doesnt use one?

What do the markings N1, N2, R1, R2 mean? Many thanks,

Russellc
Here's what I have - hope it helps

1708284895855.png

• Thank You