Babelfish XA252 / Babelfish XA252 SIT / Babelfish XA252 SET

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Patience is a virtue

waiting patiently ... ;):Present::geezer::rofl:

not hard to do when you don't have a choice ... unless you really want to KiCad your own ... :confused::rolleyes::scratch2::h_ache:

attachment.php

Attachments

• BFXA252_mosfets.jpg
    BFXA252_mosfets.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 1,666
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ZM Idiot

just realized that upper mosfet can be easily Schaded ; just addition of one resistor on pcb, and finding nice logic level mosfet in place of IRF510

classic case of not seeing the forest for the trees

damn 3rd amp on same pcb

:bawling:

another one to try and do all measurements ............

anyway, after first morning coffee, up to SSE's, to hear what he's saying about B. XA252 SIT ..... am I deluded or what

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

anyway, after first morning coffee, up to SSE's, to hear what he's saying about B. XA252 SIT ..... am I deluded or what

it passed (as if Pass made it :rofl: :devilr: ) with flying colors... and then some

Babelfish XA252 gives you all details .........so you can form your own Opinion

Babelfish XA252 SIT gives you ready Opinion, with all details, and it doesn't care what you think

go figure

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for sharing the fruits of your labor with us all!

I'll have soon all of recent xformer based amps made with Plethora FE - same names, with "P" suffix

This is exciting news - I'm especially curious how the OS of the M25 R.2 will compare when wrapped in a feedback loop with this FE.

I might have missed it in the F4 Beast thread, but apart from power handling, do the big FETs exhibit a different performance/character than a 240/9140 pair? The transconductance numbers seem a lot higher - e.g., 38 S at Id = 20 A vs 6.9 S at Id = 12 A, but I realize that's not a direct comparison due to the different test current.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
generally, THD is notch lower when going Biguns

that from start, and up where little ones are going out of steam - difference getting bigger

though, always worth observing bigger picture - what speakers, how big SPL and, in the end, what Watts

we all know that with little ones (suddenly TO247 little :clown: ) we already have exquisite amps

catch is - with Biguns - driving them appropriately

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
...... and I figured few tiny details, how to make Schade iteration

now, just need few logic level TO220 mosfets , to put N pucks back ....... an will inform ya

few days

:rofl:

Silly ZM

:bawling: because I don't have adequate logic level N Mosfets in workshop, so no go before ..... Tuesday

then I realized that I have DN2540N5 :clown:

whoohoo!

Hammer Time !!

(brain is indeed strange creature ........ how it works, if it works, when it works)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
logic level mosfets - having treshold Ugs almost half, comparing to IRF510

remember - it goes on top/aditive to Schaded Mosfet Ugs, so if you have 3V5 or so of IRF510, that's already more than negative rail Mosfet is having, so goodbye Ugs symmetry

not so important here , biasing with CM as is with Optobias of SissySIT and others, but why chewing another volt or two from max possible swing ......

Schade is having nothing with CCS biased follower, when you have both series resistor and DG resistor

in Ole world , for Schade you did calc on Rout of preceding stage ..... then deciphering what value is feedback resistor

here - best to have low Rout of preceding stage, then set everything by series and feedback resistor ..... if DG resistor can be titled that way

anyway, effect is same

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Babelfish XA252 SET

as my pal Indra, member of same Pantheon and evidently same Caste to which I belongs, asked ....... here is schm of Babelfish XA252 SET

fancyschmancy name for Schade iteration of full Mos OS, where upper output Mosfet is Schaded, so practically being emulation of SIT

gate resistor R50 increased to 750R, introduced new resistor R58 (18K)

SIT related parts (two rectangles of short dash lines) mounted - as for SIT iteration, but instead of M1 - IRF510 (we are using for SIT), placed DN2540

R46 changed to 33R

we need around 3V voltage level at left (inner) side of R50, so result as is - DN2540 gate voltage is 3-4V-ish (fine tune of R46 possible to achieve full symmetry of M1 and M3 gate voltages, trivial task) ; these being referenced to output node

all parts titles ref. to attached schm

once when I have final pcb, containing all 3 amps , schmtcs with proper nomenclature will be posted

I could avoid T8-Q9 30mA CCS, and route lower end of R46 to output node (M2 source), but as I already had CCS in place, why not using it

yes, as Indra said - Papa's fave gigglywiggly graphs are saying that 2nd is neg. in phase ; that not posted, just simulated, but no reason for doubt

so, schm:

Attachments

• Babelfish XA252 SET sch.png
    Babelfish XA252 SET sch.png
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,033
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Babelfish XA252 SET - graphs , 8R load, BFR=22R

as titled

rails as previously: +/-30Vdc, Iq 1A7-ish