Babelfish M25, SissySIT - general building tips and tricks

"whichever way you find adequate" was written taking in account possibility that pcbs are already on heatsink and that you're checking P1 fiddling with pins of neighbouring parts

that's usually tin foil hat time , needing some staring at goats and schematic , to decypher which parts and which leg of these are exactly connected to P1

:clown:

in case when pcbs are still free to mingle in hands , simply put probes between solo pin and (now soldered together) pair of pins of P1

simple as that

Gotcha - "Pineapple Express" :spin:

Did changing the resistors have any audible beneficial impact?
since the Sissy is really an amp that sounds wonderful I decided to refine his qualities. I thought of placing in key points of the circuit where the signal passes some valuable component.
I added the components one at a time to understand how much weight they had in the final result.
then R1 = Vishay z-foil (TX2575), R2 = Caddock MK132, R20 R21 R-flying = Dale RN55.
But the biggest impact on sound was the comparison between capacitors. I was intrigued by ZenMod's suggestion to adopt the old Philips MKC in polycarbonate in parallel to the Silmic II ...... and as I had a pair of 4.7uF Clarity Cap CSA I put them in competition.
having listened carefully to the coupled Silmic + MKC he won tremendously. I invite everyone to try ..... I think nobody will repent.
I am very satisfied at this point .... great sound :D

Hi Zenmod,

What is the value of the capacitor that you put across the secondary on the bridge rectifier on your Sissysit build. Is it calculated or first capacitor on top of the part bin?

Hubert

IMG_20190524_182410.jpg

Did changing the resistors have any audible beneficial impact?
the SissySit is an amp that really sounds great :hbeat:. The things I suggested concern refinements that embellish his qualities.
For me it sounds in a way that makes you forget that it exists ..... but you can no longer change it with nothing for you. in the order of impact on the final sound I place:
- First .... Trafo Cinemag
-second ... inter-stage cap (Mundorf Supreme + Philips MKC "yellow" or alternatively SilmicII + MKC)
third .... Z-foil (TX2575) for R1
the rest is not touched.

Thanks, I am still waiting for my Cinemag transformers to arrive.
the SissySit is an amp that really sounds great :hbeat:. The things I suggested concern refinements that embellish his qualities.
For me it sounds in a way that makes you forget that it exists ..... but you can no longer change it with nothing for you. in the order of impact on the final sound I place:
- First .... Trafo Cinemag
-second ... inter-stage cap (Mundorf Supreme + Philips MKC "yellow" or alternatively SilmicII + MKC)
third .... Z-foil (TX2575) for R1
the rest is not touched.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Ahaha I was kind of lazy too that why I was asking :rolleyes:

All the parts for the Sissysit are coming along, should be able to begin the assembly as soon as I received your boards that must be stuck at the Canadian border and... the cinemag trafo..

Merci !

Hubert

sent 13.08.

tracking No. RR265907948RS

left my Country next day , then no more data - it seems your postal idiots are either lazy bstrds , or someone is not paying them enough...... making them idiots

ALL-IN-ONE PACKAGE TRACKING | 17TRACK

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Ok, quick test with fully warmed up amp. First thoughts were huge amount of details and sort of ”black” backround, it’s hard to descripe. I don’t have M2 around now to compare.

Speakers 6ohm nominal that falls way below 4ohm and M25 drives them without a hiccup :) really good sounding amp! Volume gets higher and higher, suddenly you notice that it’s really loud and still not hurting your ears.

Yes, it definitely was worth the trouble.

so , any better speaks , in a meantime ?

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Need some position C4 Phillips bypass caps (en route) and cinemags (ordered, status unknown) and I can finish these boards. I’ll shift focus to chassis and PSU. And maybe stuff the 2nd pair of boards.

Attachments

• 94BF2A90-36F4-4605-8E2B-2B97855392D7.jpg
    94BF2A90-36F4-4605-8E2B-2B97855392D7.jpg
    982.8 KB · Views: 336
so , any better speaks , in a meantime ?

Nothing too fancy, since I sold Duevel Venuses away. But I have to say that M25 seems to make even budget-speakers rock like hell! Nad Masters-series M51 as pre-amp/dac seems to pair with Babelfish quite well.

I’m aqtually tempted to build SissySit also, hopefully it’s still available later since I have my extra money going to two other projects and my usual money-hole; Benelli motorcycle.