B1 with Korg Triode

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Finally got an update. All that hum, hiss, is gone. Seemengly nothing has changed after the renovation. BUT, it got me thinking what the hell, so i started counting things around that could have made those issues. Modem and now switch are in a wall steel rack, there are no more utp wires across the wall, they are inwall now cat 7a double shielded, and router is two rooms away. But i don't think that made an impact to the noise, so i started recollecting what was changed. And my best guess is those stupid little stb devices for television, all the tv's are now smart and directly connected to internet so no more of those set top boxes... When i get time i'll wire up my b1k version and test that one out too.
Man, it drove me nuts 😅

Reactions: 1 user
Now playing😎

I dont think of the B1 Korg triode as the ultimate perfection Because i belive it was never supposed to be.

Mr Pass surely knew it was not. It is hum Sensitive when you touch it, The Korg is microphonic. Nor was it supposed to be the least distorting electronic entity ever created.

It is supposed to be fun! It is supposed to have a own tunable sound.

In my system it is a rounded, warm and rich sound. From the deepest bass, to lightest treble.

Perfect for some days. Completely Wrong for other days.

🙂🎸

Now i am, one by one, going to change some caps and some of the internal wirings.

From bone stock, and se how it sounds and were it all ends… 🙃

Now playing😎

I dont think of the B1 Korg triode as the ultimate perfection Because i belive it was never supposed to be.

Mr Pass surely knew it was not. It is hum Sensitive when you touch it, The Korg is microphonic. Nor was it supposed to be the least distorting electronic entity ever created.

It is supposed to be fun! It is supposed to have a own tunable sound.

In my system it is a rounded, warm and rich sound. From the deepest bass, to lightest treble.

Perfect for some days. Completely Wrong for other days.

🙂🎸

Now i am, one by one, going to change some caps and some of the internal wirings.

From bone stock, and se how it sounds and were it all ends… 🙃
Please do post results of each upgrade you make :)

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2022
Paid Member
B1/Korg build question.
I'm testing the power supply section per build guide. The diode light comes on but the voltage reading is less than 1 v. I thought maybe there was a problem with my multimeter. I tested my multimeter leads, tried different leads same result. Checked multimeter with battery; it was ok. Sometimes I get 24v when measured at wart connector sometimes not; if I measure at back of barrel connector, sometimes 24 v mostly less than 1v. I tested the barrel connector for shorts. It's OK. I haven't discovered a way to get a consistent 24v reading by jiggling wires, etc. I'm pretty new at this so I'm hoping it's me but maybe a bad wall wart? Help appreciated.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
If the LED lights up, there is most likely more than 1V from the power supply.

But you should definitely check your meter. Check your meter by measuring a known voltage, such as a 1.5V or 9V battery, or another power supply that you may have.

If your meter checks out, then measure your B1 Korg voltage again. Be sure that the meter probes are making solid contact.

Is the build complete, or have you only installed the power supply components?

Check your solder joints.

Post pictures of your build.

I'm placing the nutube before the pot. Nutube-buffer-pot-b1. It distorted a lot with a 2.3V output cd. Then I went: resisor voltage divider-buffer-nutube-buffer-pot-b1. I set the divider for a bit under 1V but now it's too week.
Can you suggest a value? Maybe its best to pull out the voltage divider and use a pot to find a sweet spot

Hi, I have just found a Passive Pre using a PGA2311 Remote Preamp Volume control (yes I know it is most likely fake) plus 3 inputs & Bluetooth. Which works great with my spare B1-Korg & it only cost $95 delivered. I have tried several of these units before, but the other always induced the dreaded ringing, this one does not. It could also be very good for any member who has purchase the DIYaudio kit, to allow expansion. Not sure weather to trie & locate in in a case with the B1/Korg of keep it as a two box unit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163900163581?var=463790602886

Cheers