B1 with Korg Triode

Thanks to all the kind contributors here I digged into the schematic and a lot of unknown concepts to me (cathode bypass, collector decoupling)... and learned a lot -no wonder starting from scratch :). Many thanks, that's entertaining!

I undertsand now why some caps that don't seem to be in the critical sonic path are in fact... and that the choices of course wisely advised by Papa are best followed and left alone! Clever cooking of course...

I have though one last question, if you guys don't mind.
To my knowledge no one yet mentioned if this pre could drive a high impedance headphone. Of course, given the high pre-output impedance I was only thinking of a (highish) nearly constant 600 Ohm impedance headphone. Of course, if that's the case, the last output cap would probably need to be upgraded from 10uF to say 22uF or whatever to avoid low frequency cutting (as said I did my homework)

I am not looking for a quality phone amp, more "an OK monitoring simple add-on solution", in parallel to the "regular outputs driving the power amp" (say with some 100R line decoupling to avoid interferences between these, and both would anyway never be used at the same time)

Silly idea or feasible? Headphone is Beyerdynamics DT990 from several decades, I am not listening loud... felt worth asking, sorry if stupid thought

Many thanks again

Claude

Thanks to all the kind contributors here I digged into the schematic and a lot of unknown concepts to me (cathode bypass, collector decoupling)... and learned a lot -no wonder starting from scratch :). Many thanks, that's entertaining!

I undertsand now why some caps that don't seem to be in the critical sonic path are in fact... and that the choices of course wisely advised by Papa are best followed and left alone! Clever cooking of course...

I have though one last question, if you guys don't mind.
To my knowledge no one yet mentioned if this pre could drive a high impedance headphone. Of course, given the high pre-output impedance I was only thinking of a (highish) nearly constant 600 Ohm impedance headphone. Of course, if that's the case, the last output cap would probably need to be upgraded from 10uF to say 22uF or whatever to avoid low frequency cutting (as said I did my homework)

I am not looking for a quality phone amp, more "an OK monitoring simple add-on solution", in parallel to the "regular outputs driving the power amp" (say with some 100R line decoupling to avoid interferences between these, and both would anyway never be used at the same time)

Silly idea or feasible? Headphone is Beyerdynamics DT990 from several decades, I am not listening loud... felt worth asking, sorry if stupid thought

Many thanks again

Claude

There are lots of headphone PCBs on eBay and elsewhere. Based on simple headphone amp ICs or more “advanced” designs. You could pop in the simplest of those especially if you quality sound requirements are not stellar.

A quick question on the 475R resistor on the Christmas board that I have. Can I use a 470R 0.125W resistor instead of 475R? Does the difference of 5R makes an impact as 475R is not a regular resistor easily available locally and I had to order them either from RSDELIVERS or some other overseas site.

Thanks

answer to manniraj #1788

Hello manniraj,

shouldn´t make a big difference. If you buy a 475 Ohm resistor with a tolerance
of 1% it will be anywhere inbetween 472 and 477 Ohm (approximately).
I think Nelson Pass mentioned that 0.6 W resistors should be used?

But perhaps our Professor Nelson can answer this? Or anybody of the experienced members here. :confused:

Greets
Dirk

I am not looking for a quality phone amp, more,,,,

Claude

I've been using my xmas B1 nutube as a headphone amp as well as a pre....(60 Ohms) HD25-SP IIs. I've made no adjustments to the circuit at this stage for the headphone use.

It sounds quite superb....IMO, so you may not need to look any further for a quality phone amp..:). If you were looking for one.

Last edited:
A quick question on the 475R resistor on the Christmas board that I have. Can I use a 470R 0.125W resistor instead of 475R? Does the difference of 5R makes an impact as 475R is not a regular resistor easily available locally and I had to order them either from RSDELIVERS or some other overseas site.

Thanks

B1 Triode filaments heaters current need precise resistors 475R equivalent can be 470R+5R connected in series.
See extract about and why from FW article.
:) Best regards

Attachments

• 2EDA2C59-A339-4CA2-AB3E-CF132294F2D6.JPG
    2EDA2C59-A339-4CA2-AB3E-CF132294F2D6.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 828
Right! I would not worry much about the 475 Ohm resistor.
I had more problems with the 9.1V Zener. I bought 10 of them and they turned out to be between 9.41 and 9.7 V (checked with two DMM)

This is a bit much and the filament current is a over 18ma

Consequently it might be better to check the Zeners first and then choose the right value for the resistor...

Right! I would not worry much about the 475 Ohm resistor.
I had more problems with the 9.1V Zener. I bought 10 of them and they turned out to be between 9.41 and 9.7 V (checked with two DMM)

This is a bit much and the filament current is a over 18ma

Consequently it might be better to check the Zeners first and then choose the right value for the resistor...

@ Jostwid

Yup good point to keept filament current always in safe and optimal value :) Thanks for sharing

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Stuffing a STORE style PCB

attachment.php

Gathering tools and components

attachment.php

STORE board. (instead of XMAS board). This is the "R0" that has the need for the jumper on the back as shown in Nelson's guide. Later revisions will not need it.

attachment.php

STORE version has 2 sets of pads to accommodate Toshiba/Linear Systems Jfets, marked "KQ" and Farchild Jfets marked "JQ"

attachment.php

attachment.php

There are 4 locations for resistors all marked "R1", this is for the matched resistors that mate to the Q2's - these resistors are included with the kit. We will stuff them first

attachment.php

attachment.php

The rest of the small resistors and the Zener diode should be stuffed now.

attachment.php

Note that the zener diode has a black line that should be on the same side with the line on the silkscreen

Attachments

• IMG_0629.jpeg
    IMG_0629.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,453
  • IMG_0628.jpeg
    IMG_0628.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,469
  • IMG_0627.jpeg
    IMG_0627.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,448
  • IMG_0626.jpeg
    IMG_0626.jpeg