B1 with Korg Triode

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
They use the Nutube in guitar pedals and keyboards. Certainly it must be physically durable to get stepped on night after night by guitarists.

dunno

I'm not belittling Nu, nor Papa's good intentions ..... part is interesting, there is target group for using it ...... and just not my cup of tea, considering that I'm used to real tubes

it would be interesting to know failure rate of Nutubes in guitar effects ........

Reactions: 1 user

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Maybe will help someone. Listening my b1k through F4 and the volume shows -8db. So it can drive F4 if you don’t like ear bleeding loud. My speakers are ~85-87 honest db.

One more thing thanks Pa for bringing the joy of sound in our life over and over again!

Nelson isn't 0.7V is still ok? Just measured mine and they are 0.69 and 0.66V with 475R, I guess component tolerance...

Attachments

• IMG_1620.jpg
    IMG_1620.jpg
    980.5 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:
Thanks Nelson, guess I should have gone higher :) I tried to figure it out on my own last night, and checked the nutube data sheet, under maximum ratings it says filament voltage 0.8V is this what we measure on t5/t6? If so, is ,7V safe or am I missing something?

Tanks again! Sounds great in combo with aleph J

dunno
I'm not belittling Nu, nor Papa's good intentions ..... part is interesting, there is target group for using it ...... and just not my cup of tea, considering that I'm used to real tubes

Oh gosh - I built the Korg B1 because I thought it was a "real tube" device that would give me "real tube" sound. I'm shocked to learn that I've been misled so brazenly! Darn! :rolleyes:

Ordered a new, medical version, one.

Farnell sent it the same day I ordered it as usual. It went from the UK to Germany and it's still there because customs want to check it. This the never left the EU :(

Anyway I had a AliExpress PS lying around based on a LT1085 and a suitable transformer to make 24VDC. Connected it and almost all noise is gone. Still a very, very small hissssssss coming from the tweeters of mij 89-90dB speakers.

I solved the microphonics of the NuTube by putting foam tape under the NuTube and using rubber stand-offs. It works but it is not a 100% solution in my case. Sometimes it still makes a terrible noise. When it's silent though I like the sound :)

Thinking about building Wayne's BA2018 also to compare. Just because it's a lot of fun building (pre) amps!

If you count the PAS-3 and Stereo 70 kits I assembled sixty years ago, I'm not a newcomer to tubes but, realistically, tubes really are new to me. So, could I get some information to help me navigate through the recent posts about frequency of resetting bias and tube longevity, etc?

1. Given my Korg is brand-new and I have adjusted the bias multiple times over the first two days of continuous operation, how much should I expect the bias to drift and how often should I reasonably recheck it if it appears to be fairly stable and we assume that I have a "typical" tube?

2. Is it vacuum-tube wisdom that I turn it off when I am not listening? Typically, I leave all of my electronics on 24/7.

3. If I do in fact leave it on (my preferred approach), how long can I expect the tube to remain operational and within specs?

Any other useful tube care-and-feeding wisdom would be very welcome.

Oh gosh - I built the Korg B1 because I thought it was a "real tube" device that would give me "real tube" sound.
Don't take Zen Mod seriously ;)
He has zero build and listening experience with B1 Korg triode.
How he knows what DIY Nutube preamp sound like to write his "tube expert opinions "?
ZM know M2 amplifier and others etc. thats OK but what he write about B1K is a "real joke"

simple silicon rubber mount can reduce microphonics easily.
(Photo from other forum on similar topic)
202007022143122867.jpg

Can I put down some side story about Korg here?

Korg is a 500 people "small" company. If you know Korg, they play "noise" well since its first synthesizer Korg 700 (1973). Rather than make a clean triangle oscillator to generate sound, Korg engineer finished their products by their ears.

"... the shape of the triangular wave that is used as the sound source may have been the reason. When I tried to make a cleaner waveform during my initial experiments, I repeatedly found that the sound was weak. A sound is sound. A sound is not a form of waves. I learned that I should not look into an oscilloscope to produce a clean waveform..." -- Korg Development Supervision, Fumio Mieda

Hi Wapo

I am not experienced as you are, this is my first tube build and only 3 decades in audio. Anyway, that's my view...

1. My Korg has been set once warmed up and since then never drifted. Perhaps I am just lucky...

2. I also leave all my electronics on 24/7 but I am likely to change that as caps tech is likely to have changed (or who knows). Anyway, I only switcj on the B1K when needed, because the tube wears. No need IMHO to leave it on while off at work, but that's me and as said also new for me...

3. Korg as reported in its spec sheet the number of hours the tube is supposed to last (that's as ever a spec, expect deviations). Roughly less than 3 years if left on permanently if I recall well, but better check again

I hope this helps

Claude

Hi Wapo
1. My Korg has been set once warmed up and since then never drifted. Perhaps I am just lucky...
2. I also leave all my electronics on 24/7 but I am likely to change that as caps tech is likely to have changed (or who knows). Anyway, I only switcj on the B1K when needed, because the tube wears. No need IMHO to leave it on while off at work, but that's me and as said also new for me...
3. Korg as reported in its spec sheet the number of hours the tube is supposed to last (that's as ever a spec, expect deviations). Roughly less than 3 years if left on permanently if I recall well, but better check again
I hope this helps

Thank you. It's what I expected but wanted to check my reasoning. Appreciate it.