B1 with Korg Triode

Oh Man, Thank you, elwood625. I appreciate your input. I'm new at this so please forgive me for the lame question. I was going to solder from the top and flip the board to inspect the welds. Your saying to flip the board the board and solder from the bottom? It seems to me that soldering from the top has gravity working with me instead of against me as in your suggestion. I was going to solder from the top.

Err, once you flip the board you have gravity again working for you, as you stand above the soldering joint :)

You solder the bottom because at the bottom you have full surface contact between your solder, that captures the part's leads, and the board (the tiny circles with the hole in the middle). Some parts can't even be soldered from the top because of their bottom covering the surface of the board, or you have to lift them to access (the caps for example).

It is not complicated and that board is quite robust, just look at some videos on the net, perhaps purchase a cheap dummy board / learning kit for 5$ to practice soldering (application time and perhaps temp regulation) and just get started :)

You are indeed half way there, go ahead :)

Have fun

Claude

Last edited:
Thank you ClaudeG! I'm wondering how do I keep all the components from dropping out of the PCB? Do I bend the ends over?

masking tape is one way.
bending legs of resistors and small caps is the norm.
bend at roughly 45 deg.
use long nose pliers with pointy ends.
push the legs through the holes, grab one end with your pliers and gently move it in one direction, that will bend it nicely.
once you solder one leg the component will stay there.

Last edited:
You shouldn't have populate the board entirely, the small components first.
BUT...and that is very important, have you check them all before ?
Suppose one is deffective, it will be difficult to find out what's wrong afterwards !
Have you set the values of the pots ?

If you want things to go your way, the above is wise, take your time.

You'll find in any garbadge an old pcb populated, de-solder and re-solder the spares until you get confident. De-soldering is as much important as soldering, may be you'll discover you don't have the right tool to do it !
Solder nowdays is without led, this means you need to heat up some 40C° to 50 degrees more with a much greater risk to dammage your components and you may not have the right iron for it. I suggest you get both types of solder and try for yourself.
Don't rush, look at all these matters before.

Hello everyone,

First post here from a newbie.
I'm interested in meeting the nutube B1 with my preamp the Truth.
I have a few questions:
- is it possible to do it in a single box?
- does the buffer need to be integrated before or after the Truth?
- how to do it? :D (I mean, how to tackle this project ?)
Finally, it would be used before a ncore power amp.

Thanks a lot guys!

Thank you for the good advice. I did check them all with my tester from Ebay it was only $11.95 what a deal! It tests transitors, diodes, and resistors. I was reading on the forum how important it is to test before soldering.

I put everything on the board just for you guys to check for me. I'm going to remove the larger components and solder the small resistors first.

Thank you for the advise I will solder some more on my board with the disposable resistors I bought for my practice.

Attachments

• 20200127_045835.jpg
    20200127_045835.jpg
    617.7 KB · Views: 673
Korg NuTube preamp board left channel issues

I put the Korg Nutube amp into a samll enclosure inside the large amp chassis. I put caps on the rca input jack shields to ground (0.01uF). I used shielded wire for all of the signal cabling right from the input jacks to the input of the power amp. I have done a bunch more testing and found that the power amp is creating 50mV of noise (weirdly shaped square waves of high frequency) on to ground (chassis, DC -, everywhere.). The power amp has some residual hiss even when the audio inputs are shorted. The preamp then picks up the noise and amplifies it creating an audible hiss at the speakers. Unfortunately I think the preamp will need to be moved to a separate enclosure unless the noise from the power amp can be mitigated. This can't be normal for a power amp to create so much noise. Maybe it's defective.

Last edited:
Korg NuTube preamp board left channel issues

Nelson is right on with his assessment. The power amp is a ClassDAudio CDA-120 60W/ch Class D amp. THe power supply for the power amp is a linear supply. The photo attached is before I put the Korg Nutube in the enclosure and rerouted the 24VDC power wires. The signal wiring and DC supplies are all isolated from ground. Next I'm looking at ensuring the power amp grounds are isolated from the chassis. I'm also looking at installing the Korg Nutube preamp in its own physically separate enclosure. Realistically I could live with the hiss but I really don't want to. I want a quiet amp. Achievable? I would hope that is not too much to expect.

Attachments

• amp 2.jpg
    amp 2.jpg
    748.4 KB · Views: 551
Check it out!

Alive..It's alive, it's alive!! I've been listening to music for just under an hour now. I'm so impressed. Even with my lousy ears! I can hear a clarity that hasn't been there with out the B1 Korg. No ringing either baby!

Thank you Mr. Pass. What a great design. How you do dat? (As some say in Hawaii). Of course, thank all you guys on the forum too. It's been fun reading all your posts. I really couldn't have done it with out your help. I had a couple of learning curves that slowed my progress. Geez cleaning the board? Like an earlier post I really thought I screwed my self using Ace Hardware flux. What a relief to find it's normal to be a PIA to clean. But I sloshed on, beer in hand No smoke, just awesome music.

I'm going to enjoy the music for a while, no adjustments just yet, I want to hear it longer.

Attachments

• 20200128_182251.jpg
    20200128_182251.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 586
Thanks cubicincher I am!
Yes, Mr. Luck I agree, wierd! I'm one of the lucky ones this time around.
ClaudeG I just kept at it,that's all I can say. The connections on the potentiometer took me a while with the multi-meter to get right. Believe me I am not in anyway up to the level you guys are. How do you get your head through a door opening with all those brains?
I'm stumbling wires not cooperating by staying in only to see I should have started on the other side! Just a noobie, but enjoying it.

The music is what's all about. Now my music is mo beta!
Thanks again everyone.I'll post a few more pictures when I get tired of listening to music and feel like cleaning the board more.:( I still have to trim those long wires to the pot, pretty up the wire bends and of course more alcohol please. The cleaning type I mean:D The legs too. By the way under the Korg I put one layer of the double sided tape with the little black foam that was in the packing. I hope it lasts.