B1 with Korg Triode

Will check that out - I'm researching now on google what to look for in my solder joints.

I reversed polarity at the speaker. Before I checked voltages, I swapped speakers and the problem remained. When I measured voltages it was with jacks plugged into preamp but the voltages were very close and still off when measured at the B1K board.

I’ve connected my B1 Korg in my main system. It is driving a rebuilt McIntosh MC240 6L6GC push-pull tube amp, and a pair of upgraded Klipsch Forte II’s. This comes pretty close to my ARC LS7 for a fraction of the cost. Listening to Patricia Barber’s “Cafe Blue,” and the soundstage is large and deep. The vocals are smooth and articulate while all the dynamic slam and tight bass are all there. It’s actually a bit quieter than the ARC tube line stage. On other recordings with a Fender Rhodes, the tone is spot-on. Very impressive.

I should also mention that I have not had any microphony problems since closing up the chassis with the Sound Barrier sheets from Parts Express, and using the vibration damping standoffs.

Soldered wires for experiments with bulky MKP caps etc....yes music presentation is changed

Attachments

• 3ECE7053-503F-4489-B0FF-93DF02B149A6.JPG
    3ECE7053-503F-4489-B0FF-93DF02B149A6.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 445
Often the physical large caps picks up a lot of noise. The very large caps may be better for speaker crossovers where current is much larger and signal across the cap can be large compared to a signal bypass cap where signal is small where cap has not much influence on signal. I have learned to use the small E-caps as signal bypass caps. Before I was quite obsessed by the large MKPs used as signal bypass cap (DC-blockers).

Moved the B1 Korg to another system. Digital streaming via Roon, simple Raspberry/Dac combo, Hypex Ncore nc400 monoblocks running modified/uppgraded Carlsson OA51 LE2 omni directionals. Great sound, smooth, detailed, dynamic, holographic.
Seems that what I at first thought where microphonics is an anoying turn on wistle/tone, that goes away when the korg is warm. There is no ringing when I tap the preamp case in this system.

The B1 Korg is great medicine for the hypex which is great with many speakers ( not VOT or Ls3/5a where they take to much control) and good recordings but not lenient on some of the lesser recordings. With the Korgs richness these lesser recordings sound great as well.
Need to find the Chet Baker record you mentioned Soundhappy, dont have It.

Last edited:
Is from Capitol Records Inc. Look For The Silver Lining - The Best Of Chet Baker Sings
My B1 K test is made with original CD and DAC. Acoustic jazz with voice is great for this purpose.
Long time Kraftwerk fan i agree this preamp sound incredible on " Electric Cafe " and this covers as well
Trans Europe Express (Cumbia) - Señor Coconut
Señor Coconut y Su Conjunto - The Robots
Thanks, I have a couple of kraftverks vinyl bought new at release :) Also have som Jarre, I used to play them a lot 30 or more years ago :). Of my sand amps, F6 is the best match for the B1 Korg. Great combo on my Altecs.

Hi Nash,

I wrote quite a few posts discribing the changes one by one, so you may want to use the Search Function. In essence the changes were:
1- A low ripple wall wart PS
2- Upgraded PS caps from 1000 to 2200uF
3- Tocos pot (not really an upgrade, as that one is free)
4- Polypropylene caps in the signal path (6 in total, see text for that mod re values and choices) instead of the electrolytic ones

All these mods were evaluated one by one, but the sum is quite satisfying to my ears.

Last but not least, re 1 and 2, I tried to upgrade further the PS with no real benefits, so I left it there. The other mods brought the most, please refer to previous posts for more details, and as the design is already very well optimised I left it there.

I hope this helps

Claude

Hi Nash,

I wrote quite a few posts discribing the changes one by one, so you may want to use the Search Function. In essence the changes were:
1- A low ripple wall wart PS
2- Upgraded PS caps from 1000 to 2200uF
3- Tocos pot (not really an upgrade, as that one is free)
4- Polypropylene caps in the signal path (6 in total, see text for that mod re values and choices) instead of the electrolytic ones

All these mods were evaluated one by one, but the sum is quite satisfying to my ears.

Last but not least, re 1 and 2, I tried to upgrade further the PS with no real benefits, so I left it there. The other mods brought the most, please refer to previous posts for more details, and as the design is already very well optimised I left it there.

I hope this helps

Claude

Hi Claude - I had some misadventures building power supplies for my ACA, I shorted two Ultra low noise PS boards with a bad DC jack cable before I understood what was causing the problem. Both PCB have been repaired now and are on their way back to me and I should have one spare board to build a PS for the Korg. I just need a transformer and a case etc. With a very low noise regulated linear PS would you need to bother upgrading the PS caps?