B1 with Korg Triode

I reflowed the solder on every joint and added a touch of solder here and there but it did not help. I am still getting an imbalance between L/R channels. Left is louder side.

Voltages:
T1 = 24.15
T3 = 22.57
T4 = 9.26
T5 (Left heater) = .68
T6 (Right heater) = .69 (this is quieter channel)
T7/T8 = 11.8 (set it this way personal preference)

Source pins seem to equal between both sides on input and output JFETS at DC voltage.

Drain pins seem to be equal between both sides on input and output JFETS at DC voltage.

AC wise when playing sound, the input voltage on the board is mostly equal between L/R but output voltage from board is (for example) .3 - .7 volts AC on the left while right is .2 -.4 volts.

NuTube lights up equally well between both sides but I did not measure the pins.

Hi Steve,

Difficult to tell, only a test could say.

But if your regulated PS is really very low noise and that noise is not too low frequency, then there are good chances upgrading the caps will bring indeed very little benefits if any (as in my case, with a low ripple SMPS it changed little).

On the other hand changing these caps is a no brainer as long as the PS can cope mainly at start up, as little cost std parts and very easy to do. On the other hand you could try without as benefits are slim if starting with a good PS... both approaches are OK and that tweak yeld probably the smallest benefits.

Good luck

Claude

I'm enjoying the recent posts singing the praises of the Korg B1, as I am a
non builder type of person.
These type of posts prove very encouraging.
Another more encouraging happening, is that I have the Korg B1, that I recently auditioned being brought to my home to be used, in the Home System this week :D :) :D

JohnoG Sound stage is massive. I bought Interstellar from YouTube movies and fed the the sound through the stereo speakers only (I’ve not got surround sound). During a couple of scenes where the spacecraft is shaking hard I was looking at the ceiling to see if anything was falling from it! I’ve been in Wellington NZ since 2005 you get conditioned to looking for a desk or table to hide under when things get shakey. I listened to Brother Where Art thou soundtrack yesterday the choir singing during the baptism is so well defined it’s spectacular sections coming from different positions it feels like they’re spread out through the trees. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I powered up the board, the right side of the tube lights up blue, but the left side does nothing so I cut the power. Can I power back up and check voltages at test points?

IMG_3067.jpg

On my channel imbalance, I have been checking AC and DC voltages trying to narrow down the problem spot. I am getting equal AC/DC reading between channels at the anode side of the Nutube. I am getting equal DC at T7 and and T8 but not AC. At whatever level I had it at, my Left channel was 12-13mV AC and right was 11-12 mV (playing dual mono pink noise). I am thinking my problem is at least narrowed down to either the 1K resistor, the output Q1/Q2 or the bias resistor for Q2.

I did check every resistor to verify it's the right value and within tolerance before I installed it, could've still made a mistake of course. If its a problem with Q1/Q2 can I change the bias resistor to make up the difference? If that is an acceptable resolution, how do I calculate what value it should be?

Happy New Year everyone!!

Steve Luck
Thank you for the sharing of your experience.
Many years back, I put the TV / DVD through the HiFi System.
The first film played was Braveheart, I remember leaving the room to use the toilet, and whilst in the toilet, a army of men and horses, were having a full on battle in their with me.
I'm glad that you are having great experiences with your devices.

On my channel imbalance, I have been checking AC and DC voltages trying to narrow down the problem spot. I am getting equal AC/DC reading between channels at the anode side of the Nutube. I am getting equal DC at T7 and and T8 but not AC. At whatever level I had it at, my Left channel was 12-13mV AC and right was 11-12 mV (playing dual mono pink noise). I am thinking my problem is at least narrowed down to either the 1K resistor, the output Q1/Q2 or the bias resistor for Q2.

I did check every resistor to verify it's the right value and within tolerance before I installed it, could've still made a mistake of course. If its a problem with Q1/Q2 can I change the bias resistor to make up the difference? If that is an acceptable resolution, how do I calculate what value it should be?

Happy New Year everyone!!

You could try swapping Q1/Q2from left to right channel and see if the problem moves.

Happy New Year!