B1 with Korg Triode

What coupling caps do you have?
PPP gave me defo better impulses in the bass region...

Also, in what matter can the BOZOZ be considered a reference for the bass - could it be that that one has too much?
Just trying to understand...

Last but not least, silver LS cables have a reputation to thin things, but no clue if true or applicable in your case...

Good luck

Claude

Gidu

Your Alps tracks indeed exceptionnaly well... but then that is not bijective, eg not because the data are good that it sounds good as you... already know (but if the data are odd then it would sound wrong).

Having said that, the values you have on your Tocos are more than good enough, in fact quite good, you wouldn't notice any imbalance indeed...

More data would be needed, but sadly it could be yours can't be corrected all the way, not that it is really needed. It would require more measurements but perhaps a simple correction up to 15h is feasible by the addition of a simple resistor on one channel. See my post for more details... but again, not really needed, more for nice data...

Have fun

Claude

I'm not too happy with the result obtained with the TOCOS pot, on my system, the sound is too bright, even aggressive on some recordings, so that the bass frequencies seem to be behind !

The ALPS RK27 potentiometer was more balanced in frequency ! So, I ordered a TKD Ko-on 2CP-2511 50K dual log potentiometer at HifiCollective, which seems more balanced, but hey, with shipping and taxes, it's a little pain in the *** ... But when we love, we do not count !

Gidu

Last edited:
I'm not too happy with the result obtained with the TOCOS pot, on my system, the sound is too bright, even aggressive on some recordings, so that the bass frequencies seem to be behind !

The ALPS RK27 potentiometer was more balanced in frequency ! So, I ordered a TKD Ko-on 2CP-2511 50K dual log potentiometer at HifiCollective, which seems more balanced, but hey, with shipping and taxes, it's a little pain in the *** ...

Gidu

So we got the same resulting sound it seems. Lack of bas and to bright and agressiv.

I used Amtrans Gold plated OFC wiring in the Korg and the ACA’s. I did that because my Lowther speakers sounded rubbish on silver plated multi strand I bought for them when I first built them. Silver plated stuff was like listening to someone trying to sing whilst wearing a full face helmet it was that bad. I Have Anti-cable speaker wire from Amps through to drivers now and bass you can feel through the seat of your pants without any compromise in treble. Solid copper every time. I should say the ACA Korg combo isn’t driving my subwoofers just supplying the signal via the speaker cables to a plate amp in each speaker that cuts of where the uninhibited Lowther stops. The backloaded horns are designed so that there’s no crossover between them and the amp just a physical baffle step in the form of a compression chamber behind the divers. I’m happy to conclude the Korg itself places no restriction on bass and the ACA are passing that signal on. Listened to Dead Can Dance concert recording on Tidal tonight it was awesome!

The ALPS RK27 potentiometer was more balanced in frequency ! So, I ordered a TKD Ko-on 2CP-2511 50K dual log potentiometer at HifiCollective, which seems more balanced, but hey, with shipping and taxes, it's a little pain in the *** ... But when we love, we do not count !

Gidu

Hi Gidu,

I was thinking the Tocos on the warm side so I am a little surprised.
They have very nice stepped attenuators at Hificollective :D

Have fun

Gilles

P.S. Some littérature...

https://hfc-fs.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/albarry_music_cosmos_review.pdf

https://hfc-fs.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/cosmos_review_neville2.pdf

https://hfc-fs.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/hfc_stepped_series_resistor_review_0.pdf

https://hfc-fs.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/hfc_stepped_shunt_resistors_review_0.pdf

https://hfc-fs.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/gh_takman_carbon_step_article.pdf

Last edited:
I used Amtrans Gold plated OFC wiring in the Korg and the ACA’s. I did that because my Lowther speakers sounded rubbish on silver plated multi strand I bought for them when I first built them. Silver plated stuff was like listening to someone trying to sing whilst wearing a full face helmet it was that bad. I Have Anti-cable speaker wire from Amps through to drivers now and bass you can feel through the seat of your pants without any compromise in treble. Solid copper every time. I should say the ACA Korg combo isn’t driving my subwoofers just supplying the signal via the speaker cables to a plate amp in each speaker that cuts of where the uninhibited Lowther stops. The backloaded horns are designed so that there’s no crossover between them and the amp just a physical baffle step in the form of a compression chamber behind the divers. I’m happy to conclude the Korg itself places no restriction on bass and the ACA are passing that signal on. Listened to Dead Can Dance concert recording on Tidal tonight it was awesome!

Yes you are right about the Amtrans. I used it several years ago and in that circuit it did not fit.

Yes you are right about the Amtrans. I used it several years ago and in that circuit it did not fit.

No re read - the Amtran gold plated copper works very well for me. People in this thread saying there’s a lack of bass have got silver speaker cables. I think some speaker cable experimentation would restore some bass for them and some warmth.

I have this aswell, since a few decades, but genuines are not easy to find nowadays and TBH I bought the Tocos in hope it would follow its steps and I am not disapointed.

Perhaps one day I will take my BB out and compare its sound to the Tocos, but then it will be comparing a 25y old pot with a brand new one, but well... one day, have other priorites and I am happy so far :)

No re read - the Amtran gold plated copper works very well for me. People in this thread saying there’s a lack of bass have got silver speaker cables. I think some speaker cable experimentation would restore some bass for them and some warmth.

I totally understand you. I have ordered Triple 0.4 mm an double 0.4 mm. I think you are right it will be good for this circuit. Thanks for advise.

Yes Duelund DCA will donate some cotton isolated cabel for our speakers. Now we have some old Duelund silk isolated flat silver.

Potentiometer TKD 2CP-2511 50k received this morning and installed immediately on my preamp Korg B1!

I have not really had today the opportunity to notice any obvious differences in listening with the TOCOS or the ALPS, but it still seems to me that the brightness in the highest frequencies found with the TOCOS is attenuated, what remains to be confirmed with deep listening on different musical styles ...

Gidu

At first :
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

TOCOS pot :
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

TKD pot :

New tests and listening of potentiometer TKD 2CP-2511 this morning, and some observations that follow:

The more in-depth listening of several recordings of classical music confirms a more relaxed listening, with the virtual disappearance of the small point of aggressiveness seen in the high-end spectrum (especially in female voices) with the TOCOS knob, all not noticing a noticeable decrease in the sound image, either in depth or width.

On the other hand, the manipulation of the volume knob is mechanically extremely smooth (compared to the pot TOCOS and especially compared to the pot ALPS) and much more pleasant in the low levels compared to the TOCOS (listening at moderate level in position 8 hours on the TOCOS and 10 hours on the TKD!), Which indicates a better management of the logarithmic curve of volume progression on the TKD.

So, my preferences, both in terms of sound quality and quality of handling or finishing, go first to the potentiometer TKD 2CP-2511, then the ALPS RK27 and finally, lastly, the TOCOS ...

Gidu

Last edited:
That’s a great set of observations and although I have the Tocos in my valve amp i’d previously put the occasional harshness of some guitar high notes down to the “Lowther Shout” from my drivers that people talk about.
Seems possible I was blaming the wrong thing as i’ve not heard it since swapping to ACA Korg setup with the TKD pot.
No going back to the push pull EL34 in Triode mode now i’ve got single ended transistor Amp. A Loto win might persuade me splash out on single ended Audio Note Kit setup!

No harshness at all with "my" Tocos, and very faithfull treble compared to a refence set up (directly soldered resistors). In case you lok for the "truth", it is neither complicated nor expensive to take a few quality resistors directly soldered and use them as absolute reference - just chose them so you get the attenuation you need as not variable, and match your pot position accordingly.

But then these findings are just me with my Tocos (perhaps I got lucky) and my loudspeakers are very revealing while not needing things to be smoothed out, so who knows...

Important is people are happy with "their" results, as in my case re treble and human voices LS make by far the most, much more than the Tocos & Co... magnetostats and some electrostats are my friends... or some direct voice from my family members who are gifted opera singers :)

At the end a system is just that, and getting the right tuning is far more complicated from swapping / upgrading LS than tuning other components.

Having said that, I would love to toy with a Muses volume arrangement, just for the sake of it as Papa is using it... but so far no simple inexpensive kit around sadly.

Claude