B1 with Korg Triode

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I have now thanks. I only found one pair that didn't match other build photos earlier in the threads. Have others go this wrong too?

There are 3323F and 3322F which ones are which?

For the full build kit colour coded and sorted resistors would be safer and less confusing.

See post #3565

As for color coded... you can buy banded resistors if you like. The advice that is peppered throughout multiple threads is to measure each and every resistor before installation. It takes seconds and can save hours - as you're noticing.

See post #3565

As for color coded... you can buy banded resistors if you like. The advice that is peppered throughout multiple threads is to measure each and every resistor before installation. It takes seconds and can save hours - as you're noticing.

I tried but my multimeter was all over the place on these. I had zero problem measuring all the resistors on two ACA builds and sorting them are the values on the supplied ones so low that some meters just won't pick them up properly?

To repeat the question which ones where which?

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I tried but my multimeter was all over the place on these. I had zero problem measuring all the resistors on two ACA builds and sorting them are the values on the supplied ones so low that some meters just won't pick them up properly?

To repeat the question which ones where which?

Read post #3565 as I said. Your question has been answered more than once.

Resistors at those values should show proper readings. Check the batteries in your meter.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
NAUeB6jl2XkOAcwm.large

The Dale resistors have thier value printed on the side, the code is 3-digit + multiplier at values greater than 100ohm, and below 100ohm the "R" is the decimal.

So, from top to bottom you see -

10K (100+2 zeros, 10000ohm)
1K (100+1 zero, 1000ohm)
100 ohm (100+0 zeros, 100ohm)
10.0 ohm (10R0, 10.0 ohm)

Steve Luck - can I guess that you don't have an auto ranging multimeter? High resistances are easy for the meters to read accurately, but yes, check the battery. That said, it's confusing when you have to read ohms and then place the decimal depending where your meter is set. Honestly, buy a cheap and cheerful auto ranging meter similar to this, I guarantee you'll find it to be worth every penny. :yes:
https://www.amazon.com/Neoteck-Mult...01-20&linkId=a435bdb06c7d95feaca299e6c19e9efc

Last edited:
Well here is my build so far, almost gave up on this from the reports of people having the ringing thing going on.
Screw it. nothing ventured, nothing learned.
Worked for NP, I am going to make it work too.
So, the parts I ordered were from a BOM I downloaded from, well, somewhere.
All Digikey part #s.
It was way easy looking at the individual package labels and then the boards to know where things had to go.
The BOM however was short 2 100 ohm resistors.

Attachments

• B1 KORG BOARD.jpg
    B1 KORG BOARD.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 656
@flamethrower1. I can send you the resistors unless you need more stuff from digi or mouser. I decided to give mine a prettier home than the recycled CD-ROM case too. Will grab a pic or 2 to share.

Pics

From an old CD-ROm case

To a new home

have some new matching knobs on the way

- used ALPs "black velvet" potentiometer and balance control

..dB

Last edited:
Thanks for the help on the resistor values. I struggled to find an explanation online, so copied build logs that had been posted without understanding much. Most stuff on resistors if found online is about colour coding.

Re Multimeter I've got two of these, they weren't bought from aliexpress though :

Digital Multimeter UNI T UT61C High Reliability Modern Digital Multimeters AC DC Meter CD Backlight & Data Hold Multitester-in Multimeters from Tools on AliExpress - 11.11_Double 11_Singles' Day

They are autoranging in fairness to me I tried both and swapped a battery out at one point.
I'll try a brand spanking new battery in each as they were bought at the same time.
Great to have two for adjusting Amp camp channels. Looks like they do have a transistor tester in the form of a plug in adaptor that I've never used. I do have the manual in PDF to check on how to use it.

I've checked all the resistor values - I only had two transposed in the board so will wait now for a new tube to arrive and see what I get after that's installed this time on sill connectors if they'll fit.

At the start I bought a voltage reducer to take the 24 volt down to 5 to run a khozmo relay attenuator and source selector. It was quite a lumpy thing more suited to a motorbike, I suspect it was the cause of a few problems, I could hear some pops when switching things on even though it's measured voltage was good.

DC to DC Step Down Voltage Converter Module | Jaycar Electronics New Zealand

I think one side of the tube has failed slowly as it wasn't producing off centre stereo when I first ran it.

Fingers crossed that a tube fixes it.

Hi Hikari,

Re PS options, well, read my posts a few months back on some extensive comparisons... told you so ;-)

Re Tocos, as posted a few months ago, in comparison with the purest possible solution (very short air wired high quality resistors soldered directly together with the Tocos adjusted exactly at their value)... the Tocos excelled. If any difference, it was very light and just a tiny bit less extreme bass energy (not depth).

That was really not much, so if you found the Tocos lacking really some bass, then perhaps it is because you compared it with a pot that had too much bass? Note though I had the stereo version...

Anyway, it would be nice to see how it compares to the TDK... that one is supposed to be excellent as well, but a tiny bit heavy on the extreme bass side at the cost of a tiny bit stage reduction, so somewhere the opposite "compromise"... but is in another price league. It would be nice having someone to confirm or infirm that, I believe someone here have both?

I hope this helps

Claude

I was using the TKD 2CP-2511 in my B1 Korg for the past month or so. I pulled it out a couple of days ago to put it in another preamp I am working on. A while back I had bought a couple of the same Tocos you use, so I put one in the B1 Korg. While I thought original Alps pot sounded a little edgy, the TKD sounds nice and smooth but a little darker and slightly colored to me.

I've been listening to the Tocos for a few days and I think it sounds wonderful. Smooth and natural with some sparkle but not at all edgy. I don't hear it giving up anything in the bass region to the TKD, but it doesn't sound as dark. I like it best in the B1 out of the three. Thanks for the recommendation.