B1 with Korg Triode

Yes, but it will take a while with all the mechanical work with chassis etc. I will probaby add a common mode choke also or another kind of filter. My idea was that this could compensate for using 2 x 8 ohm in the on board filter instead of 2 x 10 ohm in order to hit the correct voltages at the test points so they will not be too high.
A switcher used for pre-amp it a bit unusual but with good filtering I think it will work perfect.

When I have had some progress I will post new pictures. The chassis will just be a closed alu box. It will look "home made" compared to yours. But good quality "home made" I hope. This closed box was to prevent moving air from sound presure to go in and shake the Nutube. Very little heat is generated so should be ok using a closed box. Especially when PSU is external. I forgot to lift the 270R a bit from PCB. Does it get very hot?

I can see 270R is resting at the end caps…..this may "save it". 0.7W will probably cause it to be so hot that it is not nice to have finger on it for long.

Regarding switcher used for preamp…….I have just built the "Starving Student".....and this amp uses a 48V Meanwell. On PCB there is a small common mode choke to filter HF. It this setup it works fine. A nice thing is that the switching adapter can be placed far away from amp.

I can see 270R is resting at the end caps…..this may "save it". 0.7W will probably cause it to be so hot that it is not nice to have finger on it for long.

Regarding switcher used for preamp…….I have just built the "Starving Student".....and this amp uses a 48V Meanwell. On PCB there is a small common mode choke to filter HF. It this setup it works fine. A nice thing is that the switching adapter can be placed far away from amp.

I too just completed an SS2 and was surprised and pleased at how quiet it was which is why I thought about using a switcher on this one.

Please check post #1919 and following.
It is my own design. MODUSHOP GALAXY MAGGIATORE case.
10mm frontplate cnc machined (by SCHAEFER AG in Germany) following my CAD design.
The diyAudiostore will offer a case. It is in development.
Greets
Dirk

Cubicincher

I'm building my own case, I was just interested in the Font you used for the lettering. The Font name wasn't jumping out at me in your posts?
Looking thru fonts I loose interest very quickly :)

David

Yes, but it will take a while with all the mechanical work with chassis etc. I will probaby add a common mode choke also or another kind of filter. My idea was that this could compensate for using 2 x 8 ohm in the on board filter instead of 2 x 10 ohm in order to hit the correct voltages at the test points so they will not be too high.
A switcher used for pre-amp it a bit unusual but with good filtering I think it will work perfect.

I have 8 Hammond chokes 56 ohm 1,5 H 200 ma if interested. Lives in Gentofte. From another project. Only problem is what voltage to start with.

Last edited:
I have 8 Hammond chokes 56 ohm 1,5 H 200 ma if interested.

Hi Erlend
Thank you very much for the offer. I think for the Korg I have settled for the 24V Meanwell and see if I with small adjustments can get the test points right. But I will have your Hammonds in mind! ….they could be useful for another project. I can see from Google that you are very involved in DIY HiFi in Copenhagen area!

Hello all. I'm consider the possibility of installing my B1 Korg into a wooden case (lasercut plywood) with a few vent holes/slots. Does this thing run cool enough for that or could it be borderline fire risk?

I would dress the inside of the box with aluminum foil. When I removed the aluminum cover of my B1 I got a little more static noise. Don't forget to make yourself a tinfoil hat as well, against CIA mindreading. Can never be too careful.

Hi Erlend
Thank you very much for the offer. I think for the Korg I have settled for the 24V Meanwell and see if I with small adjustments can get the test points right. But I will have your Hammonds in mind! ….they could be useful for another project. I can see from Google that you are very involved in DIY HiFi in Copenhagen area!

Thought that I knew you, but not the case :)