Autoranger for soundcards

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have used a lot of different cards for audio measurements. The Lynx L22 and the EMU 1212M or 1616M give the best performance but are harder to use. For an internal card the Juli@ has been the most compatible and most likely to work. the Emu 1212M and the Lynx L22 are the best performing. However the RME HDSP9632 has a digital monitor the others lack. It uses the same ADC as the Juli@, AK5385 (which is also in the EMU 0202 0404 and tracker pre I think). The Lynx and the EMU M products have the higher performance AK5394A. They all have strengths and weaknesses. Opamp upgrades have not shown significant benefits, not worth the risk of damage really.

I'm waiting for JensH's project as well. And for more on Frex's new ADC effort.

Aren't they all the same?

I'm still using an EMU0204.

I'm still using a Juli@. I'm very interested in the answers to this question, since I would like to mention a few of the better ones in my second edition.

Really good performance out to just under 100 kHz would be especially desirable, although even that would not catch the 5th of a 20kHz fundamental. However, using an 18 or 19kHz fundamental to catch the 5th might not be cheating too much.

Are there any soundcards out there capable of sampling up to 384kHz? I would be happy to give up some dynamic range at that sampling rate, since I would like to analyze the spectrum of the output of my distortion analyzer, or the output of a twin-T notch filter, or the output of my distortion magnifier.

Cheers,
Bob

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Its curious that it can record at 768 KHz but only playback upto to 192KHz.

It looks to be a very nice box. I saw it up close recently. Its AD specs pretty closely match this chip: https://www.akm.com/akm/en/file/datasheet/AK5397EQ.pdf which makes sense. You may recognize it. Its the same chip in the QA401.

It would be wonderful if we could convince Matt at Quantasylum to implement the higher sample rates and the ASIO interface he was hoping to do with the platform. He has had his hands full moving mfr. to the US from China so I'm not expecting a lot.

It looks to be a very nice box. I saw it up close recently. Its AD specs pretty closely match this chip: https://www.akm.com/akm/en/file/datasheet/AK5397EQ.pdf which makes sense. You may recognize it. Its the same chip in the QA401.

This box (as I own one) supports also DSD (currently DoP) on ADC & DAC side, later on DSD Native. In the other hand AK5397EQ is not used.

Keep in mind to reading the AKM spec's: ADC AK5574, DAC AK4490

May also read the user manual with the updated freq response correction at 384kHz :D

Cheers

Hp

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Sorry The abbreviated specs were misleading. That's one of the latest generation AKM ADC's with the DSD capability. If you look at the specs they all do roll off above 80 KHz at varying rates. Not important for audio but something to be aware of for measurements.

I looked all through the RME website and could not find the manual for the ADI-2. Can you share the current specs? Have you made any measurements of its performance?

Its curious that it can record at 768 KHz but only playback upto to 192KHz.

It would be wonderful if we could convince Matt at Quantasylum to implement the higher sample rates and the ASIO interface he was hoping to do with the platform. He has had his hands full moving mfr. to the US from China so I'm not expecting a lot.

That would be super. Moving in that direction, and with something like Jan's scaler and maybe a little bit of optional DSP, they might find themselves in a position to take some significant lower-end business away from AP.

Cheers,
Bob

Sorry The abbreviated specs were misleading. That's one of the latest generation AKM ADC's with the DSD capability. If you look at the specs they all do roll off above 80 KHz at varying rates. Not important for audio but something to be aware of for measurements.

I looked all through the RME website and could not find the manual for the ADI-2. Can you share the current specs? Have you made any measurements of its performance?

Site Link:

RME: ADI-2 Pro

At the left side of the web page is a link to the manual as given below.

Manual:

http://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2pro_e.pdf

If you look at the specs they all do roll off above 80 KHz at varying rates. Not important for audio but something to be aware of for measurements.

Inside is a DSP with special freq. response adjustments/correction, look at the manual: The fact is that the AK4490 at 48kHz is not very flat

BTW: May we open a ADI-2 Pro related thread :goodbad:

Hp

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks for the manual. its a remarkably well detailed manual with lots of nice plots from HPW works. it looks more like a serious personal project that a normal pro "here is your AD/DA" product. I'm sure it also sounds very good. it seems to be around $2K here is the US. I can't justify it but its actually a good price for its capabilities.