Australia on fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
They put the Sydney one on care and maintenance when the last dry spell ended. This time they are talking about expanding it's capacity.

Lyre birds are amazing, I had been told that they can mimic chainsaws and axe chops, but never heard it, the video shows the chainsaw marvelously! I remember being told about one that was trying to do multiple kookaburras, got to three and feel apart ;)

One of the waterfall walks in Dorrigo national park has some very tame ones along the track from memory.

Tony.

Well, Victoria was in serious drought throughout the 00's. By this time, January, 2010 city water supply reserves in Ballarat were getting lower by the day, bottoming at around 10% in March. This is a city of 100,000, not some little country wide spot in the road. The most stringent water restrictions had been in place for years. However, the car washes were still operating, and according to my dead Uncle Norbert, there's no drought until they close the car washes. And that is pretty hard to argue against.
During this time there were the extreme fire seasons of 2002 and 2009. The 2002 fires received little notice in the media but around 2 million acres of the Gippsland forests and parks got a good burn. Some of that may be getting a brush reburn currently, but I don't think it's too much from what I can tell on the provided maps.
The state government commissioned construction of a water desalination plant southeast of Melbourne. Everything was looking pretty grim this time 10 years ago.
And then the winter season of 2010 saw record rains and the drought was over in 3 months, really quick. The summer of 2011 stayed green in the Ballarat area, and few locals could remember that last time that had happened. The desalination plant was completed but never started operation. But it's there when the need arises. Hope it will work.

And sadly, a 40 year veteran firefighter died today from a tree falling on him.

Yes it is always sad when someone gets dead on a fire. But if you are in the fire business for a long time, as I was, you get touched by this. It may be a colleague, a friend, someone you once met, someone on the fire you are on, multiple people on the fire you are on, or a helicopter pilot you once spent many hours with in the helicopter entrusting your life to the pilot. I’ve experienced all of those, and it is never a good feeling at all and you feel quite sad. It happens.

I might like to add that the Vic/NSW fires have faded a bit from the headlines and such. But now is when the real work begins. The complete fire perimeter has to be inspected, observed, patrolled, etc., to ensure that there can be no more fire spread. This usually means ensuring there is no fire, heat, etc. a certain distance into the fire from the edge of the fire. There is a lot of fire perimeter on these fires. This work takes weeks and months. It attracts no media attention. The general populace thinks the fires are out. There’s no more news and pics with big flames, etc.
Generally this work continues until there is continuous cold weather and lots of moisture. In North America a fire is not really out until there is snow on it for some time. In the large fires in Yellowstone National Park in 1988 we were still on the fires in mid October, even after a few very cold mornings with some snow, and months after they started.
In Australia this just means large amounts of rainfall and some cool temperatures. It is only January now. This work might take until March or April unless there is a large amount of rain. And droughts generally do not break in the summer.

Just thought I would put that all out there.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I hear a guy saying there is a collapsing risk about koala bears in the next generations due to this massive event ??? Is that true or a fake news ?

Is there talks at Australian TV about the way should be changed in the futur or have you the feeling all is said to minimize the global responsability of worldwide people in their daily cu sumption and to say it's just a suddend event due to a too hot summer or matchboxes ?

Is there a greener attitude will to come as it beginns to grow in Europe and a part of Asia ?

I see people here are talking about qnimal farming or soya farming ? I'm absolutly fascinated by what have said some aborigens explaining they failed to learn to westerns the way to manage the Aussie's nature because their culture is about transmission (and not about goods aggregation as I understand it in the baseline) ? Is there such talks or is a fake ?

In Europe it seems there is bipolarity attitude that grew, not only with tje youngest people or children. Some decrease their CO2 fingerprint and some others say too late ....

I have the feeling that memory becomes short when our individual desires are involved (accumulation of goods, confort, real estate, travels, cars, exotic food all the day, many children wanted and so on. But it's really new in human being history... we were "only" 1 billion in the 19th end and most were poor. I'm scary when I see some people growing and even spend their life in nato camps or poor lands and poors aera.

It's li'e if modernity was nof controlled by us. Medecine is good, human rights, current water, knowledge sharing and books, not talking about food stores downstairs... but it looks like it's never enough... I mean not long time ago my poorer grand parents takes care of a twine because they were poor and now people accumulate knives, smartphones and so on. Their still very poor people that still starving (but less than one century ago if I read statistics)... but we are not able of wisdom more than a week-end and stay selfish rest of the week ?!

More and more when I look at that slow and peacefull koalas bears dead and burned I cry and feel more sorry for us than for us...even if human individual loss are sad of course... but why a fireman, a farmer or a simple citizen should die for a too expansive and certainly oversized real estate price ? I''m sad.... It's like we are able to invent great things and in the same time not able to more evolution till neanderthal, denissova or whatever our mix and origins... One guh said by quoting me it's not because scientists are not listened to by authorities but kt's our individual fault and selfichness... I can't agree more while I still think most powerfull and richest people have more keys than others to stop the imobilism ... monney can not be eated and collapsed species bought ? I'm should be too naive :mad: but it's nof if what I say is new, but the fools or the blinds, everybody is knowing such things.

Interesting words, Diyiggy. I share most of them. Here things are not too different.
I saw three times the Al Gore's "An inconvenient true" movie, when recent release at cinema, and twice at home in the PC. This is very interesting for me, because although I have knowledge of some of the item he mentioned there, there wan some loose ends he helped me to understand. For example, the fact that a large planting of trees is NOT a solution. It is commonly said that trees purify the air adsorbing energy from sun and nutrients from the earth, and CO² from air, and releasing O² (Oxygen) to the atmosphere, is partially a lie. When the leaves of the trees fall and rot, they return the nutrients and release CO² to the air again, except for a minimum accumulated in their arms. In the task, microorganisms consume oxygen too. This is not usually said in the classrooms.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Sure, all is in the equilibrium, quantity as time as well. Our suddent growth seems to break a cycle mechanism and nature adaptation is slower than the stress we get on it ! Like species : if you exploit it faster than reproduction possibilities for fertility powder, art sculptery then it collapses.

Problem seems to be we hear talks that this is nature that changes and not us that change it by a too much faster stress. And look how odd we are, we cry more for koalas bear than crocodiles of the Queens area... we are not able for most to relativize but see things only with our human prism (which is normal) but the new thing is the only specie which could changed that cycle can also calm it down for its own survival (I mean seen from the space by E-T a simple tree is a specie as a human being, none being more important than other, and to go further this E-T will say there is no really nature adaptation but only events that change): it's not if we didn't need this slow evolution to survive ourselves (meteor proved it with dinosaurs)... so we must share this timing with the evolution mechanism of our host or better to say we break the boat with an axe and think we will breath o2 from water 5 minutes later... too fast my dear would say ET looking at us from space ! The sad thing is we know that all. collective and individual fault in the same time !

Just because we can bet we have certainly more chance to success by calming it down tyhan finding a solution in that very complex mechanism Earth is ! It's slow enough I assume we can see it without denie... it's not like we were dinosaurs with a roc falling near Belize !

Hey, authorities should learn also that things sooner in the school... we risk to miss frogs for our childrens' experiment at school soons ! Ahaha but bet some will say not because global warming but because french coocking habits, lol (no offense, I prefer garlic snails and oyster... well not oysters anymore because micro polymers due to plastic bags !)

Last edited:
For example, the fact that a large planting of trees is NOT a solution.
To illustrate your point:

The amount of CO2 taken up by North American forests is around 500 tonnes per square kilometre per year.

The total number of flights to and from the UK release in excess of 80 million tonnes of CO2 per year.

To offset that aviation emission we would have to plant 80,000,000/500 = 160,000 square kilometres of trees.

That is just over 1.5 times the entire area of the United Kingdom! :eek:

It should be clear fom the above calculation that planting trees is not an answer to the climate crisis.

As Greta Thunberg keeps saying, we need to follow the science.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
time for a cunter reverse ecologic colonization in some sort... as far I read from history, it's always the poorest that pays first ! >Greta gives me the keys of your Tesla. No I joke I like this cheek, what a courage... hope she will not pay her own hapyness for that cause but she seems to show what attitude to have : think away than your own noise if you want to smell tomorrow yet, lol !

I believe wit my simple words we are too much in the civilization of the instant... at the risk of such fire events. Btw we talked not so much about what hapenned in Seberia with forest fires, but it was huge too !

I see pathetic that many think that the problem is solved by each contributing our own grain of sand.
The problem is the rulers, especially the most industrialized countries, so it is political, whether they like it or not. The UN is old, recently we had an example of how its regulations pass through the ***.
And we are warned that we cannot talk about these things because we are walking on very thin ice. That metaphor is perfect!
It is thin by global warming !

To illustrate your point:

The amount of CO2 taken up by North American forests is around 500 tonnes per square kilometre per year.

The total number of flights to and from the UK release in excess of 80 million tonnes of CO2 per year.

To offset that aviation emission we would have to plant 80,000,000/500 = 160,000 square kilometres of trees.

That is just over 1.5 times the entire area of the United Kingdom! :eek:

It should be clear fom the above calculation that planting trees is not an answer to the climate crisis.

As Greta Thunberg keeps saying, we need to follow the science.

Author David Wallis Wells has written an eye opening book "The
Uninhabitable Earth" which explores many aspects of climate change and the
real impact that we are heading towards.

This presentation is worth watching.

YouTube

Also a more relaxed, extended interview (Joe Rogan podcast)

YouTube

As far as climate change and local politics are concerned difficult not to be
embarrassed. Previous PM (T.A.) was a climate change 'denialist'
Present one ('ScoMo') appears also very uninformed.

Note his response to the South Australian Tesla power grid storage battery
project which was privately funded.
YouTube

In the first year that project saved an estimated $40 million.
There is now a proposed 50% capacity increase under way.

Adani coal mine in QLD has been given final approval after a long 9 year
battle. >10 Million tonnes / annum -> Asia and India to be burned in coal
fued power stations. Meanwhile the cost of coal vs renewable energy has
reached equity. Then there is the unknown environmental impact to the
Great Artesian Basin, the largest and deepest artesian basin in the world.

You would be excused for thinking we or at least our politicians are complete
f#ng idiots.

We need to wake up - big time. Maybe this fire will be that call.

TCD

If the last few decades are anything to go by, there will just be more hot air from governments trying to please everybody while doing nothing to harm their corporate masters. And the majority of voters will be OK with that, because they aren't willing to pay a dime more in taxes or drive a mile less in a smaller SUV. Maybe the declining frog population will lead to an explosion in disease-carrying mosquitoes who will be ready to spread newly unfrozen ancient pathogens from the Siberian permafrost.

Status
Not open for further replies.