Australia on fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
That’s a good article. Let’s wait to see what happens over the next 10 yrs. I would tend to agree that if the global temperature has fundamentally changed and it’s drier and hotter, the vegetation will adapt accordingly. One of the things that jumps out from Lovelock time and again is just how finely tuned Gaia is. The last 10 000 years have been one of the most stable periods temperature wise (globally) in the geological record. Looks like that is coming to an end - now driven by human activity rather than natural forces.

That’s a good article.
Inside Climate News is one of the sources I look to for scientifically accurate articles about climate change and its impacts. As their own tag line says, it's "A Pulitzer Prize-winning, non-profit, non-partisan news organization dedicated to covering climate change, energy and the environment."
...if...it’s drier and hotter, the vegetation will adapt accordingly...
Increasingly often, we're seeing death instead of adaptation, because of the speed with which the temperature is rising.

The giant kelp forests in the ocean off Tasmania are an example. The kelp and the abalone and fish that lived in it were vital to the Aboriginal way of life for forty thousand years; now ocean warming has killed 95% of the kelp in the last decade: Scientists in race to save giant kelp off Tasmanian coast - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Animals can move away from unbearable climate change, or so most people think, so we'd expect them to survive better than plants. But when change is extreme and covers a large geographic area, the animals can't move far enough to find survivable conditions, and they die by the tens of thousands as a result: Dead Birds Washing Up by the Thousands Send a Warning About Climate Change | InsideClimate News
Looks like that is coming to an end
The area I live in was buried under a couple of kilometres of ice a geological eyeblink ago.

Now we're facing the opposite problem. A research paper I read a couple of years ago explained that 35° Celsius wet-bulb temperature was the limit of human survivability; death occurs in a couple of hours under these conditions.

Wet bulb temperature is the temperature read by a thermometer with, literally, a wet cloth around the business end; it accounts for cooling due to evaporation, which is the mechanism all mammals use to regulate and prevent excessive body temperature. We sweat to avoid overheating, but at 35° C wet-bulb temperature (equivalent to 35° C and 100% relative humidity simultaneously), sweat does not evaporate, and so we overheat and die quickly.

As usual, Inside Climate News has an article presenting the summary facts in a manner accessible to non-scientists: Heat Waves Creeping Toward a Deadly Heat-Humidity Threshold | InsideClimate News

The survivable temperature will rise above 35° C if the humidity drops at the same time. This is why people can still survive in Qatar, say. But the limits of human survivability are being approached there already, so they are air-conditioning soccer stadiums in anticipation of hosting the 2022 soccer World Cup, so that fans don't die of heat-stroke by the thouands: https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap...imate-change-qatar-air-conditioning-outdoors/

That article is one of several Washington Post articles, all part of their "2° C: Beyond The Limit" series, in which they investigate and report on the roughly 10% of earth's surface that has already warmed beyond the 2° C limit that our world leaders have pledged (uselessly) to achieve.

-Gnobuddy

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
That’s a good article. Let’s wait to see what happens over the next 10 yrs. I would tend to agree that if the global temperature has fundamentally changed and it’s drier and hotter, the vegetation will adapt accordingly. One of the things that jumps out from Lovelock time and again is just how finely tuned Gaia is. The last 10 000 years have been one of the most stable periods temperature wise (globally) in the geological record. Looks like that is coming to an end - now driven by human activity rather than natural forces.

There is no doubt, Earth will be survive and changes. It already survived to some massive crashes and as I understood the most massive one was a massive : a part was includid and the waste rests made the moon by agregation. Which is interresant because due to the moon we have life.. so by a contingent event !

Hazard is not adaptation. I read somewhere one of the most important factor to terestrian life was when grass emerged on the soil. The problem of all adaptations is the time factor like resilience tests : go too much further it breaks. If the climate change not too much fastly we may survive with lost but if too much global (everywhere) and fast variances between summer and winter, the slow mechanism could break for the biggest species ! Mamals, fisch, birds, maybe tree... uh, starving ! End of the story... So the key word seems no to be (I mean for us) adaptation but chronograph (we fastest it).

If we talk about adaptation so it is according to our needs, because at Earth scale it is just changed parameters, I mean there was no life, then life appears, certainly life will dissapear because too much heat for the smallest life when the sun will burn all his "fuel", then Earth will disseaper... But sure, life is stupborn and want to survive (asking myself if it's not the best definition of the Life word, whatever you putt behind : evolution, etc... I know there are others as sciuentists ask themselves about roc life or other for of life where adn is not a concern... iirc they found 5 different theoric forms).

So here the break factor of resilience point could be more the fastness of the warming as the globality according human being needs. We could disseaper faster than the slow evolution that created our today specie. Often I asking myself again about the roots of our adaptation cycle that made us (the mix between species + events that created us) and if it is not going to an end by lack of diversity ???

We have still some mix in our DNA (Neanderthalian, Denisovian, ...) but the cycle seems to be stopped soon for humanoids : I mean a standalone specie with no others close family becomes fragile by lack of evolution possibilities when it is delayed in a last global specie (next step is collapsing whatever the origin of it) ??? . Which is fascinating is we are the source of that... no external event like a meteorit on dinosaurs. Humm it is possible that sharks and crocodiles have a longer time print on Earth that humanoids ! If the life is stupbor, it seems that whatever the species none are eficient with time management in mind, their life is about an external equilibrium they don't think about and even less when it's about to manage it in time... Complex forms of life seems to live in the present... So futur whatever we can abstract it due to our consciousness is not our appetition.

I'm looking forward to see the next year at summer season to see if we progress, to change it... but few are able of time constant disciplinary... That's surealism to see we know but we can't change... and btw am about to change my baseline because of that... Well a disgress as it has not to see with direct Australian events. :rolleyes: Who know, maybe biology in school will have soon more sucess than solids engineery or financial studies ?!

Last edited:
...it is possible that sharks and crocodiles have a longer time print on Earth that humanoids!
I think that's very likely, given the destruction we've done in just the last 500 years or so.

Meantime, horseshoe crabs evolved about 450 million years ago ( Horseshoe crab - Wikipedia ), and they are still around, though climate change and various human activities are starting to wipe them out. The species is so old that the gene for incorporating iron into blood had not evolved yet - horseshoe crabs have copper-based blood, unlike the iron-based blood in newer forms of life, including humans.

It seems homo sapiens is only about 200,000 years old. So horseshoe crabs have been around more than two thousand times as long as our own species.

Even if the climate on the surface of earth becomes so hot as to be completely unsurvivable for all species of life, the rich communities of life around undersea geothermal vents won't even notice. It's always night down there, the water is already hot enough to cook an egg, and life will continue exactly as it already has for hundreds of millions of years: The Depths Below - Life on a Vent | Ocean Today

-Gnobuddy

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
At least in Europe those trees were cut down possibly centuries ago.
Certainly not recently.

The Romans talked about England being completely forested with small clearings every few miles where the locals lived. Scotland and Ireland were the same to a lesser degree in terms of human population.

Someone about 20 years ago proposed that wolves be reintroduced to the Highlands. A biologist had to point out that the Highlands were a ‘devastated environment’ ie it is today, despite being spectacularly beautiful, nothing like it was 2000 yrs ago and now totally unsuitable for a top predator.

The fierce battle to rewild the Scottish Highlands, wolves and all

Last edited:
Germany was the same at Roman times.

They also complained that it was very difficult to impossible to conquer them because they had no kings or chiefs as such. The Romans paid the price for trying: They tried to conquer the Frisians twice. The first time the Friesians ended up crucifying 900 Romans, the second time 2500 beaten Romans committed suicide to avoid crucifixion.
When they later lost 4 entire legions at the hands or Armin (aka Hermann the German, a Cherusker) without a trace they stopped trying.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
That's funny because their main god was incarnated by a tree, Fraxinus specie...and many times after the romans Charlemagne emperor were figthing against pagan saxons there... He burnt a gigantic holy Fraxinus tree which was the Ergadil God incarnation for saxons... Hey, trees were liked a lot...

Last edited:
Charlemagne (aka Karl der Grosse aka Carolus Magnus) posthumously declared Holy Roman Emperor of German Nation had great respect for the Friesians due to them clobbering the Romans which lead to what is known as 'Friesian Freedom' which lasted for many centuries.

Friesian Freedom meant that all Friesians were individually subjects of the emperor while for the rest of the German tribes only their local rulers were officially subjects.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Also their women were fighting and romans were scarry about that...but after while Charlemagne was christian , saxons were still pagans (ergadil tree episode) and it created some conflicts and wars iirc... They take time to adopt the official credo while it was made around before... Especially because roman empire collapsed before the Germany like it is today was enterily civilisated ... if this word has sense.
Do I mix up with area or years ?

Charlemagne was christian but he didn't force that upon the Friesians the last of which didn't convert until the 11th century.

Charly himself is credited with founding two nations: France and Germany. The French have his sword in Versailles, the Germans have his body and tomb in Aachen.
What happened is that when he died his empire was split between his three sons.
Two of whom quickly ganged up on the third. The western part became France and the eastern part became the Holy Roman Empire of German Nation which if I'm not mistaken reached its largest extent under Friedrich I 'Rotbart' (Frederick Barbarossa 1122-1190) extending from Denmark to Sicily. Officially that empire lasted from 845AD until 1806.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Yep I know that but didn't know about this little frisians area... I think you refered to the frisians ethnic grup which is a smal area not really marking what splitted Germany was at this time and I refered to saxons as a generic term which was used to grup the german tribes whateved the ethnic grup at Charly times... Saxons received here and there some sword impacts from him, lol.... Saxons from Germany had problems with cristianism. But local chiefs as in Gall understod the interest and prestige of the last roman official religion which still was in the non less famous Bysance roman orient empire.... so it was the race behind the popes and the emperor to have a little power, some peace and no burned trees while people still loved the trees, the rivers, water sources, most of the church were builded on those old holy pqgans place, not always on martyr places. Notice it was exactly the same before in Galls... women were free and chiefs were sacred by a pope because of that prestige to rule them all (sort of ring as the movie).. Charly is an ancestor of them.... Oh guy we are totally off topic but the trees, I woulx liked Aix castle to stay totally preserved... while Charley and his girls was not really living here, his life was always on the road...

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Checked some things here, for fast. Very interressant moves up and down, hey thanks guys to have talked of that, it makes my day before the week to come Frisian& - Wikipedia
Btw sorry for the disgress for australians... I don't remenber the name of the famous australian explorer which traced many roads near the oriental and south coasts but not only??? If someone remember his name, thank you for that, memory is weaked with years....

Status
Not open for further replies.