• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi, need help with hum problems in my 4780 built from PD's kit.

The values are the stock supplied with the kit. Input series resistors are not used. Each chip is wired in parallel mode, and two such chips are driven off a balanced input for bridge operation, at +-30 volt supply.

Each channel has its own 440VA EI, and like I said, is the fully stock kit. The PG+ and - on each half of the amp for one channel are connected using 18 AWG stranded wire.

One channel, built with chips from PD, is deathly silent but has 50mV of output offset (well within reason). The other channel was built from NS samples, has only 1mV of output offset, but a very faint hum which is probably at 120-180 Hz.

The hum is inaudible from more than 6 inches away from the woofer cone, but it's definitely there.

Exchanging transformers for the channels has not helped, neither has switching inputs. The hum is only due to the amp.

Like I said it's very faint, but I would like to eliminate it. Do I need bigger caps or is there another way to fix this?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Peter

First I must say the amps sound absolutely fantastic, better imaging than some really expensive gear, and spot-on accurate.

When I disconnect the input the hum gets masked by the slight white noise of an open input, but it's detectable under that noise.

It is undetectable after the input level has risen to above -86 dB, and is undetectable from more than three inches from the woofer cone or above the noise of the computer which is used as source, so it's not creating an audible problem as far as I can tell. SO it's just a wish to remove that last trace of (almost inaudible) hum before I start demoing the amp to my friends.

The way the amp is configured is exactly your instructions for parallel mode, and one amp is perfectly well-behaved so it's not a circuit design or layout problem as far as I can tell.

The only differences between the two channels circuit-wise are the actual chips used (the chips you sent are perfect, the NS samples have a slight hum) and the channel with the hum has wires from the primary to the board that are about 10 cm longer than the good channel.

Will fitting larger caps help with the hum? Right now I'm using only the 1500 + 10 uF that came with the kit. I had added some 10000 uF caps but I hated the sound so I removed them. I can try them once more for kicks...

Here's some pics of new DAC board, as I mentioned, the circuit is not inverting now.

Attachments

• newdac2.jpg
    newdac2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,411
I was sort of "forced" to redesign the board, as I run out of DIP version of CS8412 receiver chip.

The new layout has been improved, with easier cap mounting and shorter PS and signal traces.

No major difference in overall design was made, as circuit has proven itself over the last 2 years and I don't see a way to improve it. One may experiment with I/V resistors and coupling cap choices, as will provide a slightly different sonic signature, but overall sound characteristic will remain unchanged.

Attachments

• newdac1.jpg
    newdac1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,200
USB input?

Hi Peter and others,
I think this was brought up earlier in this thread but never touched on again.
Are there plans to implement a USB input into your DACs?
Maybe something modular that current owners can add-on?
Has anyone tried a readily available kit or assembled solution that worked for this purpose?
Thanks,
Max

peter i will mail you the parts and money order next week, i made a mistake with one of my latest jobs and lost 6 cams do to lightning.
i forgot to ground the coaxial on one of the roof cams.

it was just a small fire.

and now i need to pay for the parts :bawling:
hopefully i can replace the parts before the owner comes around:D

in the pic you can see my handmade roof cam i call it the hd cam or surround cam.

cheers;)

Attachments

• zap2.jpg
    zap2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,341
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.