Audio Precision System Sys1 USB Interface

Hello! Has anyone had issues installing APWIN 2.24 on a Windows 10 machine? We have 5 product test stations that are running System 2 APs and they are running various operating systems and interfaces. We have an XP system using direct APIB, a couple of Audio Precision USB interfaces (slow as heck) running on Windows 10 and Win7 and one Windows 10 system using Udo's wonderful USB interface. I purchased 5 more of Udo's interfaces a couple of years ago and we are finally getting around to consolidating all our systems to run Udo's USB interface on Windows 10 and when I installed APWIN 2.24 on a couple of the new Windows 10 machines, it won't launch. I verified that the files all appear to be there (Program Files (x86) > Audio Precision > Apwin200 directory) but even running as administrator I cannot get the application to launch. It works just fine on the machine on which we installed it a couple of years ago.

Hi, I have no clue about the win 10 issue - and a noob, if that does it. OT , sorry.
I am amazed that apwin 2.24 and 2.14 runs with earlier w7-w10 OS . AP are a truly well-behaved windows sw.
I run some other legacy EE pre 2K software packs, and as some of these need a 16-32bit "interface" that W7 has,
it runs these legacy programs just fine , and I stay with w7 ( and happy getting off the update hassle ) .
but that is not available in 64b OS -
Duke, Good to have you here.
Please let us know how to fix it if using w10 ever becomes necessary. .
A question : is there any forum or website where AP sys 1, sys 2 Users share tests, procedures , tips and how-to´s ? .
I could use some inspirations.

Please let us know how to fix it if using w10 ever becomes necessary. .
Send me an Email duke.aguiar@ieee.org

A question : is there any forum or website where AP sys 1, sys 2 Users share tests, procedures , tips and how-to´s ? .
I could use some inspirations.
Join the "LinkedIn, Classic AP Audio Systems Group LA:" Many tips and other information and questions are answered. several hundred users are on it.
http://www.sound-logic-la.com

LinkedIn, Classic AP Audio Systems Group LA:

LinkedIn, Classic AP Audio Systems Group (Old group that can’t be updated)

I service and repair older AP Systems, write tests, procedures and develop ATE systems.

APIB USB ADAPTER for AP S1, S2, S2c & ATS2

Hello! Has anyone had issues installing APWIN 2.24 on a Windows 10 machine? We have 5 product test stations that are running System 2 APs and they are running various operating systems and interfaces. We have an XP system using direct APIB, a couple of Audio Precision USB interfaces (slow as heck) running on Windows 10 and Win7 and one Windows 10 system using Udo's wonderful USB interface. I purchased 5 more of Udo's interfaces a couple of years ago and we are finally getting around to consolidating all our systems to run Udo's USB interface on Windows 10 and when I installed APWIN 2.24 on a couple of the new Windows 10 machines, it won't launch. I verified that the files all appear to be there (Program Files (x86) > Audio Precision > Apwin200 directory) but even running as administrator I cannot get the application to launch. It works just fine on the machine on which we installed it a couple of years ago.
Problem resolved. After a brief chat with Duke, determined it was operator error. I failed to remember (or read in the instructions) that the APIO.dll file needs to be replaced for APWIN 2.24 to work in Win10 environment. All is good now.

Regards,

Steve

There are some non-working adapters as production is not perfect (I test every adapter with the S1/S2 self test scripts to detect failures,
but do not have the time to repair them).
I can send you two programmed adapters for repair.
Hello ! Can I get one non-working adapter too ? I have the old System One at work and want to play with it but don't have something to connect it to PC. But I have microscope, oscilloscope and soldering iron :)

I have APIB USB ADAPTERS in stock. The cost is $375.00 USD plus shipping outside USA. USA shipping is included.cost is $375.00 total

1. If you send me money via PayPal service charge to
then $394.00
2. Cash, Check, Zelle, ACH is $375.00 in USA
3. PayPal with or without invoice $394.00 (My PayPal fee is added)

Please call me prior to ordering or with any questions.

duke.aguiar@ieee.org

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Let me share my experience getting a system 1 running with the APIB PCMCIA adapter. I started by tring to set up Win XP. After 2 days of so many things not working or sort of working I tried Win 7. Its better but still slow and troubled with all the orphaned software. The system needs to be 32 bit since the PCMCIA adapter drivers are only 32 bit. So out of frustration I installed a 32 bit win 10. It installed on the 10 yr. old Dell Optiplex very smoothly and quickly. And the network driver worked out of the box so updates and downloading the software was very smooth. There are so many orphaned softwar bit for XP and Win 7 I would olny atempt this on a running older system.

Important details- you need to manually install the drivers, they won't auto install. And you need to run APWin under XP SP2 for it to work. So far (not very) its all running. Now to troubleshoot the performance of this unit. The oscillator is quite good, less than .0007% THD but the analyzer stops at .02% so still some attention needed.
I have two of these to sort out. Looks like many hours of fun ahead.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I got it working. It was a chore with lots of dead ends.
Specifics:
1) Win 10 32 bit
2) Supported Cardbus adapter I'm using one with a Ricoh chipset. The TI seems to work as well. Could not get them working on XP.
3) You need to run APwin in in XP SP3 compatibility mode
4) Manually install the PCMCIA drivers from the driver folder.

I have it running in two machines- a vintage Dell D630 and a Dell Optiplex 990 with a Cardbuss PCI adapter.
There are no cardbuss to PCIe adapters. Using an expresscard to cardbuss adapter doesn't seem to work.

Installing XP or Win 7 on the Dells is easier than a generic PC but still not worth it.

Reactions: 1 user